L175 won’t start

Seasuka

Equipment
Kubota L175
Oct 3, 2018
UK
I have a L175 tractor I’ve used for grass cutting since i bought it second hand 15 years ago. It has always been easy to start until recently and now will only turn over a few times even with battery fully charged to 12.65 volts. There is fuel at the bleed screw. It has always smoked somewhat which I assumed to be unburnt fuel as oil level is constant and oil well structured if blackened. I’ve always had problems with the cooling system as it was not pressurised when I got it and replacement radiator caps have rusted away very quickly. Recently I worked it for no longer than ½ hour sessions before letting it cool and topping up. I have to suspect overheating although never seen any steam.my question is whether it is likely to have suffered internal damage and if so is worth trying to get repaired. It reads 1348 hours and the clutch tends towards difficulty in disengagement. As a non engineer I would be very grateful for any advice. Tony

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
The cooling system is suspicious, something is causing the engine to over heat, dirty radiator, bad thermostat, leaks in the system. Rusted radiator caps? I'd suggest performing a compression test. You may have a bad head gasket. I'd do a complete assessment of the engine and drive train. It sounds as though you've used this machine with very little preventative maintenance. 1348 hours isn't many hours. You can either repair the one you have or go buy another but you'll need to stay up problems or you'll be right back where you are. Good luck

Seasuka

Equipment
Kubota L175
Oct 3, 2018
UK
The cooling system is suspicious, something is causing the engine to over heat, dirty radiator, bad thermostat, leaks in the system. Rusted radiator caps? I'd suggest performing a compression test. You may have a bad head gasket. I'd do a complete assessment of the engine and drive train. It sounds as though you've used this machine with very little preventative maintenance. 1348 hours isn't many hours. You can either repair the one you have or go buy another but you'll need to stay up problems or you'll be right back where you are. Good luck
Thanks for quick reply and the suggestion about compression, there is nearby mechanic (west France) who might do it. Also about servicing; this is a summer holiday home, I’ve done regular oil and filter changes and greasing, but maybe neglected cooling apart from antifreeze. The caps rusted over winter (under cover), should have removed them. Should the system be under pressure? As I say it never has been

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
If you don't have the ability to work on it yourself, then I suggest having the mechanic look at, if he gets you going then come up with a game plan to address any and all deficiencies, to insure reliability and longevity.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The system is called a thermo siphon system that moves through the radiator and engine with no pump. The hot water is ejected out of the engine block by the colder denser water at the bottom of the radiator and engine.

The radiator should be under pressure of about 13 PSI (sorry about non SI Units) when hot but that only increases the boiling point of the water and reduces evaporation.

If it has overheated the head is probably cracked and you may not be able to find a replacement.

The exterior of the radiator gets clogged and needs to be cleaned. Especially if you’re mowing grass that has fluffy seeds.

There is a whistle on the radiator over flow hose to warn of overheating and that would only work if the radiator cap was working and creating pressure in the radiator to then eject through the whistle. If you run it without a cap it can overheat without any indication. And if the whistle is missing then of course there is no indication of overheat other than steam.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Weird numbers 88.32kPa on the radiator cap.
That is almost exactly 13 PSI (12.8) and you made me look it up after all. Occasionally I try to stop myself from the obsessive have to know syndrome.

Reactions: 1 users

Darrenw

Equipment
L1500DT
Aug 12, 2020
UK, County Durham
Did you work out what the problem is?

Ive got the L1500DT which is pretty much same tractor. Mine starts fine but loses water into the oil, now suspecting a cracked head but have no way to test it.