L175 Won't Start

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
I need some help with my L175 because it won't start, when I turn the main switch once right for engine operation the oil pressure gauge light goes on and the battery gauge does. Then I turn the starter switch right and nothing happens. Please help, I know that it may be connection issues with the main switch because that's what happened before but not like this.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
This has been covered a few times, some get lucky. Battery cables like to corrode and even arc on the ends. Best to start with removing both cables and cleaning the ends and where they mount. While cables are off remove battery and have it tested. Take it to a garage not wally world. These minor things cost time and or very little money.

From there, fuse links, clutch switch making sure all connections are clean and tight.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Clutch safety switch is located in front of the brake pedal on the side of the transmission case. That's the only safety on the whole tractor. Wires tie into a relay mounted behind the dash. If the clutch switch went belly up or is out of position, or the relay went bad, the key switch won't activate the starter.

Had an issue similar on my l1501. Wires were melted through going to the glow plugs, clutch switch, and horn. Wires were ran so they contacted the engine block, and over time caused the meltdown.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Clutch safety switch is located in front of the brake pedal on the side of the transmission case. That's the only safety on the whole tractor. Wires tie into a relay mounted behind the dash. If the clutch switch went belly up or is out of position, or the relay went bad, the key switch won't activate the starter.

Had an issue similar on my l1501. Wires were melted through going to the glow plugs, clutch switch, and horn. Wires were ran so they contacted the engine block, and over time caused the meltdown.
On mine the clutch wire went open circuit, instead of looking for break, i ran a new pair of wires.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
On mine the clutch wire went open circuit, instead of looking for break, i ran a new pair of wires.
Mine was also back feeding power to the starter so the starter would stay engaged. When I got the tractor, it was wired for a push button for the starter. I was in the process of pulling the wiring harness for a complete rewire when I found the melt down.

Ran a new wire for the glow plugs. Clutch safety wire got the bad cut out and spliced back together. Horn wire got cut and capped. Relocated the wires under the fuel tank and away from the engine block to prevent a meltdown in the future. :D

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
Update: Sorry for the super late* reply, but I had the starter rebuilt it was the oem one and the shop told me it doesn't have too much life left in it so I just need to bump the starter for short periods and not hold it for longer than 5 seconds. Now it starts like a champ when not too cold outside.

Last edited: