L175 - transmission issue

Elaineaz

Equipment
L175
My tractor wasn't gong into gear consistently.

So, I figured out I needed to replace the springs and top detent balls since one of the springs was not the right kind, and a Kabota mechanic told me there were supposed to be balls on top of the springs as well as at the bottom - the detent. So, I bought six balls, and three springs. Put three in the lever housing and realized the original balls were still there. Having no way to pull the balls out, I removed the lower lever plate that holds the forks. I removed the excess balls and read the shop manual that says in order to remove the forks I have to split the transmission. Well, the forks came out just fine. My issue is, can I get the lever housing with the forks attached back into the gears without splitting the transmission?? Please tell me it's possible. You guys always have the best tips and shortcuts. I'm a true neophyte at all of this and don't want to have to take the transmission apart, or try to find a local tractor mechanic to come to where I am becasue I made a stupid mistake.

Thank you :(

Last edited: