L175, L185, L225, L245 steering box destroyed

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Mostly my fault I guess, only had the tractor less than 3 years and the oil ran out of the steering box, then it got water in it, the water froze and blew out the bottom of the steering box.
So check your steering box oil, if it won't hold oil pump it full of grease. If your tractor is out side invent something to keep water from running down the steering wheel shaft.
Luckily when it failed the only damage was limited only to the steering gear box and to my wallet.
Suddenly losing steering on your tractor is a good way to get a flipped over tractor.

Pics to follow shortly.

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
Dang thats crazy, for my l175 when I fill that side bolt it always goes down when filled with oil.... so then grease is the way to go instead? Or should I look into tearing it open instead?

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Grease might be the way to go. Those seals dont appear to be replaceable.

I'm going to fill my new steering box with 85-140 gear oil until it leaks out.

Also make sure the oil isn't running out the bell housing. If it does you have a crack and will need a new steering box, they're only $300 to $400.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
While I have the steering off I'm going to replace at least 2 of the 4 tie rods. I called the kubota dealer to get pricing.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
The tie rods that connect the drag link wheel to wheel are $117 for both from kubota.
The drag link with tie rods is $430, glad I don't need that whole assembly.
The tie rod that connects the steering rod to the port front wheel was only about $20, hopefully it's the right one.
The tie rod on the steering arm was the main problem, found a locally owned garage with Napa parts shop that does a lot of farm equipment and they found the small tie rod it was $70.
According to kubota the steering arm tie rods are supposed to be the same, but on mine they're not, we will see if the correct one shows up.

The only tie rod that's gone completely wobbly is the large one on the steering rod. The drag link tie rods are a little wiggly, for a highway driven car or truck that would be no good, for a tractor it should be acceptable. The best one is the small one on the steering arm. I'm just going to change them all.

Last edited:

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I invented something stupid to keep the water and some of the dirt out of the steering box.
First I put the steering wheel cap on with RTV, dumb I know.
Then I found that a rubber 2 inch pipe coupler fit on the bottom of the steering wheel. So I super glued it into place then light applied pressure with a hose clamp.
It's just kind of a skirt that should block water and most of the dirt that will try to get in.

I think the ultimate mod would be to find a ball bearing that fits between the shaft and tube then top it off with an oil seal, instead of the rubber bushing that does almost nothing.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Now my spindle bearing are the only source of slop up front.

I just put 90-140 gear oil in there, it was the thickest I had on hand.
But if it leaks I will corn head grease it