L175/1500dt Brakes

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Folks,

Starting a new thread for the brakes on my l1500dt.

Can anyone tell me if the shoes are riveted on or glued?

If they are riveted on then I have my problem solved, glued he said a 50/50 shot that we can do it and make it work. knowing up front how they are attached and any other info would be a big help, maybe I could do some prep ahead of time, (gather required materials) and not be down for too long.

Anyone have a source for the shoes at a reasonable price, (Kubota dealer quoted me over $600.00 PER SHOE today).

The dealer also said the 175 is serial number dependent for just the shoes and drums, go figure, everything else is the same across the line.

Thanks
Samantha

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Not sure what a l1500dt is, but brakes for an l175 are about $250.00 per side. Still not cheap by any means, but much more palatable then $600.00.
We reline our brakes at work. Bit different then drum brakes, but they use this 2 part epoxy as glue then they get set in a press and so much pressure gets placed on them for 24 hrs. I'd assume you could set something up like that at home. I'll have to check and see what brand the epoxy is.

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Not sure what a l1500dt is, but brakes for an l175 are about $250.00 per side. Still not cheap by any means, but much more palatable then $600.00.
We reline our brakes at work. Bit different then drum brakes, but they use this 2 part epoxy as glue then they get set in a press and so much pressure gets placed on them for 24 hrs. I'd assume you could set something up like that at home. I'll have to check and see what brand the epoxy is.
Hi Dieseldonato,

The L1500DT is a grey market import, but share almost all parts with the L175 US version, of course the l175 did not come in a DT (4 wheel drive) configuration.

My buddy said the glued assembly has to be super heated to release the old shoes, and then reheated to set the new shoes/glue, shrugs, I have no clue, just trying to figure out how these are put together.

Anyone know if I have glued on pads and can get them off if I can rivet them back on?

Thanks
Samantha

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
We grind them off, or in the case of the flat brakes have the machine shop mill them off, then blasted with metal grit. Then the epoxy, then the press. I'll try to get some more information from the guy that does them tomorrow.

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
We grind them off, or in the case of the flat brakes have the machine shop mill them off, then blasted with metal grit. Then the epoxy, then the press. I'll try to get some more information from the guy that does them tomorrow.
Diesel,

Thanks tons, I seriously need all the help I can get.

I'm not gonna cry all over this thread like have on another one, but trust me, I need some help here.

Cheers
Samantha

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Have you looked at Kubota dot com or Messicks for the illustrated parts list for L175?

On my L185 they are flat discs with the brake lining on the sides but I have no idea how they are bonded

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Have you looked at Kubota dot com or Messicks for the illustrated parts list for L175?

On my L185 they are flat discs with the brake lining on the sides but I have no idea how they are bonded
Russell,

I have the parts manual for the 175 and it shows regular set of half round shoes with a round drum.

Worse case I will just have to yank the worst side off and have a look see, just hoping someone can save me the hassle up front, would be nice to be able to order in the right parts and have everything ready to do the job before I tear it down.

I did order all new gaskets, o-rings, and cir clips for both sides today.

Thanks tons for the replay and input, much appreciated, :)

Cheers
Samantha

Reactions: 1 user

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Good afternoon, I got to speak with Tom today and snapped pics of the epoxy he used. I don't have much to add to what I said before save for the press. He said it needs uniform pressure applied to it to help with the bonding process, he said the press was just the easiest thing we have here to use. He runs 100psi on the Guage of a 12 ton press, it's spread out over roughly 26". He said the prep work and cleanliness is the most important part, he didn't have a comment on how he thought it would work for drum brakes, but did impart the sentiment that these brakes stop a lot of weight moving pretty quickly in a short distance every 5 minutes or so. Here's the pictures of the epoxy.

Attachments