L1501DT Needs Overhaul

Tonyg11780

Equipment
L1501DT
May 30, 2017
Brandon, MS
Good afternoon all,

I have been lurking around here for a while. I help my mother with her tractor, a (less than orange) L1501DT. She bought it used many years ago and loves the little tractor, but it is getting tired. I have tried to convince her to go with something newer like my Mahindra 4025, but she doesnt need anything that big and simply doesnt want to let go of her little orange tractor. It is starting to smoke a bit, and she has only changed the oil on it every 5 years or so...

Heres my question. I was a diesel mechanic for Cummins in a previous life, more specifically an engine builder who primarily performed overhauls more than repairs. I am thinking about tearing it down and restoring it for her. I have been looking for an overhaul kit for this Z751 and have found a few of questionable quality on E-bay, but most appear a little sketchy. Also, for what its worth, is this little tractor worth putting over 1K in to keep it going? I see kits for around 500, assuming the head and block are re-usable, but I know we will run into other items that need replacement along the way. Plus if Im going waste deep in it I am going to address everything while there and do a complete restoration.

Any help or advise would be appreciated!

TonyG

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Not much to offer, but i bought my L1501 non dt for 2500 3 years ago. Just the tractor. No loader. Its an awesome littke machine, i use it all the time for various yard duties. Any small diesel in running condition 4wd is no less than 4500 in these parts.

So that being said,you have the skillset to do an overhaul and if it will fall in around 1000 it wouldnt be out of the question. If i had to do mine,as long as i didnt exceed 1/2 the value i would likely do it.

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
I can't speak much to the quality of the rebuild kits on eBay, but I did buy some actual Kubota gears for my transmission from these people. Price was very reasonable even with the shipping. And I know they do have rebuild kits.

I would definitely keep her running. :rolleyes: :)

Besides, you're too far away from me for me to come and rescue her. :D

I am looking for another project. :eek:

https://www.stavros-savva-co-ltd.com.cy

Last edited:

Tonyg11780

Equipment
L1501DT
May 30, 2017
Brandon, MS
Thanks for the advice guys. I am starting to lean towards a complete teardown/rebuild over the winter. Trying to identify suppliers for any parts that may be needed once I get neck deep into it. If anyone knows of any suppliers in the US for reputable brand overhaul kits, it would be greatly appreciated!

TonyG

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd suggest following up on what Bill said. Don't let overseas parts/shipping scare you. I was needing a rebuild kit for a Perkins 4.108 and I could get the entire rebuild kit, gaskets....everything from New-Zealand ,including freight, for less cost then from anyone in the US! These were all factory original, not reproduced parts. That's the area where the engine originated from. Quality was there.