L1500DT (L175) Oil in radiator

Darrenw

Equipment
L1500DT
Aug 12, 2020
UK, County Durham
Hello all from sunny (at last!!) UK.

I bought my first Kubota tractor in December 2019 - L1500DT, 880 hours, Bomford flail mower on back. I have a small 1.5 acre paddock and only used the tractor 4 or 5 times to cut the grass since March this year. Its been running great. On last cut (July 2020), after about 2 hours trouble free i noticed a whistle (ish) sound and some crap coming out of bottom left hand side of radiator. Stopped immediately and turned engine off. Noticed oily mess. Once cooled i opened tap at bottom of radiator and right side of engine and after water drained it was followed by oil (looks more like black engine oil than gear oil). Cant see any sign of oil in the block via the dipstick. Ive lifted the valve cover (above cylinder head) and no sign of water there. It only seems to be in the cooling system.

Ive watched Vic's excellent video on the same topic but at the moment i don't suspect its the frost plug behind the timing cover (although can't rule it out fully until cover taken off of course, and i have experienced a gasoline engine (UK Ford Pinto) before where a frost plug behind gearbox bell housing had rusted through) as its been running ok for 10 hours or so after a mild winter.

I can't find any mention of an oil cooler on these tractors so guess i can rule that out.

Would i be best to spend time lifting the head off and investigate gasket failure / head crack / bore liner cracks, or go straight to the timing cover to check the frost plug?? Unfortunately i don't have access to a pressure tester. Are there any other areas where oil can be forced into the coolant?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Best Regards,
Darren - Tractor newbie.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Not sure of your tractor, does the radiator share oil cooling too? Got a Toro mower at work I just put a radiator in, it was leaking hydro oil into coolant. No sign of water in engine oil. Worth a look.

Darrenw

Equipment
L1500DT
Aug 12, 2020
UK, County Durham
Not sure of your tractor, does the radiator share oil cooling too? Got a Toro mower at work I just put a radiator in, it was leaking hydro oil into coolant. No sign of water in engine oil. Worth a look.
Thanks Matt,

i cant find evidence of an external oil cooler nor a cooler in the radiator (only water pipe visible going in and out). Ive checked the manual and there is no mention of an oil cooler in or near the block so i suspect it hasn't got one - i hope somebody can confirm.
The cooling system is thermosyphon (no water pump). Ive only just learned what that is so rather than suspecting I've had a water jacket freeze issue (popped core plug behind timing cover) I'm starting to wonder if coolant level has dropped without me knowing (I've never checked!! my bad!) and I've overheated it and blown the head gasket. Sounds like lifting the head is next course of action. Interested to hear if anyone has had similar experience with this same model.

Darrenw

Equipment
L1500DT
Aug 12, 2020
UK, County Durham
Ive took the head off. Doesn't look too bad inside but there does appear to become sort of oil valve on the block (up to the head) with an oil seal around it that looks perished. Not sure if its a squished o-ring or not. There seemed to be a lot of oil in the gasket around this area. No visual signs of cracks.

Block and bottom of radiator sludged up (rusty brown plus oil) a bit which won't help cooling. I have a funny feeling the fault has been there for a while. but as I've only had tractor for few months didn't know it. I also opened the tap on side of block a couple of times thinking it was a diesel water trap so might have lowered the water level a touch, which i now know is a big no no on thermosyphon systems!!

New head gasket and top end gasket set ordered. Hopefully this will cure it. Does anyone recommend a smear of gasket sealant when doing the head gasket?

If fault happens again i guess next action will be to take gear case cover off.