L01 series rear work lights

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
I have an L4701 and need some rear work lights for it and some help with the best way to install

I’d like to have them on their own switch.

Is there an existing harness on this tractor and where would it be?
Also where would a switch best go?
Does Kubota sell a kit or is there a high quality aftermarket kit

Any risks of messing up the tractors computer.

My idea for these lights is to be able to turn on and off when needed for hooking and unhooking implants, tying down the tractor or watching behind me if I’m working in the dark. All of which seems to happen. Frequently. Sometimes i think with my schedule I put more hours on the tractor in the dark than in the light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have an L4701 and need some rear work lights for it and some help with the best way to install

My idea for these lights is to be able to turn on and off when needed for hooking and unhooking implants, tying down the tractor or watching behind me if I’m working in the dark. All of which seems to happen. Frequently. Sometimes i think with my schedule I put more hours on the tractor in the dark than in the light.
There are wires under the rear fender on left side (looking towards the front from the rear). You can tap into those and add a switch. I did something different for my MX. I bought led lights with a wiring harness, relay and switch that connected directly to the battery. They can be bought already connected and all you have to do is run the wires from the lights to the battery. Then, I used the factory work light wires to install a USB charging port for my phone. I like that because the USB port is only live when the ignition is on and there is no battery drain.

Last edited:

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Do NOT tap into an existing wire harness to add work lights!
banghead.gif

First thing you need to do is to understand the current draw of your lights. You need this information to correctly size your wiring and fuse. Yes, you MUST use a fuse for your new circuit.

Second thing you need to do is to decide where you want to mount the work lights and where you want to mount your new switch. Or, is there already an unused switch you can borrow? You need this info to determine the length of your wire runs, and this is used, along with the amperage (current) requirement to correctly size your wiring.

You can find wiring size calculators and tables all over the Internet. When in doubt, go one size bigger.

Now you need to plan your wiring run. Cable loom is cheap and helps protect your wiring, plus it makes for a clean job. Cable ties (zip ties) should be used liberally, and only use the black ones. The white ones will deteriorate in sometimes as little as a few months if they are in direct sunlight. Even when not in direct sun, they will not last nearly as long as the black ones.

Depending on the switch you use, and where you want to mount it, you may or may not want to use a relay. If there is an existing unused switch, use a relay, because you don't know the amperage rating of that switch. You'll run the heavy current through the relay, and the switch will trigger the relay. Since the typical automotive relay draws less than a quarter of an amp, it is pretty close to 100% certain that any existing switch will be adequate.

For help on wiring a relay, check out www.the12volt.com. Good info.

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I am very unimpressed with that kit!

The worklights are secured to the ROPS with heavy duty clamps custom-engineered for the L series
They have a lot of gall calling those basic clamps "custom-engineered". I could grab some off-the-shelf parts at Lowes and do as well.

Not really thrilled with their "switch box", either, nor do I see any sign of an inline fuse.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I am very unimpressed with that kit!

They have a lot of gall calling those basic clamps "custom-engineered". I could grab some off-the-shelf parts at Lowes and do as well.

Not really thrilled with their "switch box", either, nor do I see any sign of an inline fuse.
The kit I listed from HF has in line relay, fuse and switch, connected directly to the battery. Easy peasy.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I never found a 'kit' that I didn't think I could do better with discreet bought parts.
Discussed in this thread: OTT Link

bottom line - used an inexpensive heavy duty car relay that is switched on by that aux light circuit. That's the only thing the aux light circuit powers (the relay coil). It's only energized when your ignition switch is on.
Ran a 20 amp circuit from the battery, fused at the battery. It goes to the common of the relay contact. The other side of the normally open relay contact feeds a small fuse block.
From there you can run as many circuits as you have fuses. I have a switch in each circuit (camera system, snowblower chute and deflector, lights, etc).

btw I also ran a ground directly from the battery

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Yes, a rear work light "kit" is available from Kubota.

It's expensive but is a bolt on.

Your dealer can get it for you, but it must be ordered through whole goods rather than the parts department.

Do not expect to find an aftermarket "kit," but it is not difficult for one to fabricate one's own lamp system from readily available parts.

SDT

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Yes, a rear work light "kit" is available from Kubota.

It's expensive but is a bolt on.

Your dealer can get it for you, but it must be ordered through whole goods rather than the parts department.

Do not expect to find an aftermarket "kit," but it is not difficult for one to fabricate one's own lamp system from readily available parts.

SDT
I posted an aftermarket kit.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I posted an aftermarket kit.
Bolt on kit for Kubota???

I have a HF light bar on my B3350 and used the compatible wiring harness.

No complaints about the HF products that I installed on my B3350 but it is hardly a bolt-on "kit" as is the Kubota product.

The Kubota rear lamp kits that I installed on my M9960, L6060 and B3350 installed in about 20 minutes each whereas I have hours of installation time adapting the HF light bar and associated wiring harness inside the ROPS (front directed) on my B3350.

SDT

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Bolt on kit for Kubota???

I have a HF light bar on my B3350 and used the compatible wiring harness.

No complaints about the HF products that I installed on my B3350 but it is hardly a bolt-on "kit" as is the Kubota product.

The Kubota rear lamp kits that I installed on my M9960, L6060 and B3350 installed in about 20 minutes each whereas I have hours of installation time adapting the HF light bar and associated wiring harness inside the ROPS (front directed) on my B3350.

SDT
The wiring harness on the HF lights is plug and play. Running the wires and zip tying them does take time, as does fabrication of brackets to attach ( I attached my forward light to my canopy, not ROPS). But the HF kit is LED and the Kubota kit is not.

Attachments

Last edited:

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
So I located what I think might be the Kubota kits on messics part v18000 working light kit w/g no. L8327.
this the one I’d need if I went the Kubota route?
If I were to install this kit as it came with the existing Kubota wiring harness would this light come on every time my headlights are on? As In not on it’s own switch?
I was really wanting a light i could turn on and off as needed.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I would not waste my time or money on an incandescent work light. LEDs have arrived, and they are far superior.

Now this is what I could call, "custom-engineered". I don't know anything about the company - just stumbled across this, but those are at least decent clamps.

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC

Just recently purchased Led light kit from Amazon was 63.00 dollars Night Lite has 20 inch light bar and two 4 inch cube lights wiring harness,relay,and switch I used Kubotas work light plug on rite rear fender for power.For rear cube lights used magnetic brackets very strong no drilling of rop front bar drilled canopy used L bracket to mount very easy !!!

Attachments

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
So I located what I think might be the Kubota kits on messics part v18000 working light kit w/g no. L8327.
this the one I’d need if I went the Kubota route?
If I were to install this kit as it came with the existing Kubota wiring harness would this light come on every time my headlights are on? As In not on it’s own switch?
I was really wanting a light i could turn on and off as needed.
The factory supplied rear work light kit from Whole Goods includes a lamp with switch. The lamp can be turned on/off independently of the headlamps.

Installation time of the Kubota rear work lamp package is about 20 minutes, and nothing need be fabricated or adapted, including wiring.

I replaced the 1156 incandescent lamps in the rear lamps on my M9960, L6060 and B3350 with LED replacement lamps. Such 1156 LED replacement lamps are modestly priced. I have around $20 in a package of 4 (1 spare).

TGKY

Equipment
L4701DT
May 24, 2018
US
The factory supplied rear work light kit from Whole Goods includes a lamp with switch. The lamp can be turned on/off independently of the headlamps.

Installation time of the Kubota rear work lamp package is about 20 minutes, and nothing need be fabricated or adapted, including wiring.

I replaced the 1156 incandescent lamps in the rear lamps on my M9960, L6060 and B3350 with LED replacement lamps. Such 1156 LED replacement lamps are modestly priced. I have around $20 in a package of 4 (1 spare).
Thank you very much. A couple of follow up
Where does the switch mount?
I’m not sure what hole goods means. Can you give some detail on that?
Thanks!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thank you very much. A couple of follow up
Where does the switch mount?
I’m not sure what hole goods means. Can you give some detail on that?
Thanks!
Switch is integral to the lamp housing. No need to mount anything elsewhere.

Whole Goods is a Kubota distribution channel separate and distinct from Parts. Whole Goods sells tractors, accessories, options, etc. Unless your dealer makes exceptions, you will need to talk to a tractor salesperson rather than someone in parts to order whole goods accessories.

The lamp that I speak of is the same lamp that you would have gotten if you had ordered an optional rear work lamp when you ordered your tractor. It would have been shipped separately and installed by the service department before delivery. Same as a FEL, etc.

SDT