L 4060 HST transmission filter. Which one???

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
There are two right next to each other. One front one back. Which one do I replace at 50 hours. Which is which? I have a hht a0 37710 filter. When I turned the back one a bunch came out. I turned it back because my dealer said nothing should come out. If that's the one fine. But why all the fluid loss?

Thanks

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The pictures and directions for each of the two filters are on pages 102 and 106 of the owners manual. One is the hydraulic oil filter and it says the oil comes out if you take it off. You have to drain the oil via drain plugs first to clean the magnetic filter. Or maybe employ one of the tricks of parking it on a sidehill, but I don't know if it works on these since they are angled. The other one is the transmission oil filter for HST, and they claim you can do it if you're fast.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I wasn't sure front and rear on their picture without double checking under my tractor, too cold for that, but my spacial memory has those filters on the right hand side, making the HST the more forward. But lately my memory is slipping so didn't want to lead you astray. :eek:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
For sure change the HST filter at 50 hrs. And the engine oil and its filter. A lot of people also clean the hydraulic screen and even change the oil at 50 hrs instead of waiting until 400.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
There are two right next to each other. One front one back. Which one do I replace at 50 hours. Which is which? I have a hht a0 37710 filter. When I turned the back one a bunch came out. I turned it back because my dealer said nothing should come out. If that's the one fine. But why all the fluid loss?

Thanks
The 50h transmission filter is the shorter filter toward the front of the tractor. I am relatively certain that the filter number you mention is the hydraulic filter (taller, toward rear of tractor). You can remove the transmission filter with a small catch pan and lose only a small amour of fluid (maybe 1/2 quart). The 400h hydraulic filter WILL drain the sump when removed unless you try the various methods like using a shop vac, or incline, etc... and fast replacement. If you choose to follow Kubota's service schedule there is no point, as at 400h the HST oil is drained anyway.