How to determine if its the switch or relay

tractor will have dash lights with kkey on , but none after tractor running

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Could you specify which dash lights to which you refer? The ones on my tractor if I recall are glow plugs, alternator, and oil. Your glow plugs are not energized when the engine is running. The oil light indicates a lack of pressure so it should be off when the engine runs. The alternator light tells you the battery is not charging. It should also be off after the engine starts because the alternator is charging the battery.

jimic

Equipment
L 3240
May 12, 2011
Clarksville,tn usa
Could you specify which dash lights to which you refer? The ones on my tractor if I recall are glow plugs, alternator, and oil. Your glow plugs are not energized when the engine is running. The oil light indicates a lack of pressure so it should be off when the engine runs. The alternator light tells you the battery is not charging. It should also be off after the engine starts because the alternator is charging the battery.
Sure, All dash likes work with key in on position. After the engine starts none of the dash lights or fuel and temp gauges work.

I suspect the contacts in the ignition switch/key it self But i was not sure what the start relay does in this circuit. Seems it may be more of fuel and glow plug controle.

thank

jimmy

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
It sounds as though the indicator lights are working properly. You changed inquiry parameters when you added gauges. Does the engine run normally? Check whatever fuse(s) are for the instruments or gauges. If you're SURE it's the ignition switch you could try shooting a bit of contact cleaner into it and working the switch a few times. Start simple then do more troubleshooting before throwing money at the problem.

jimic

Equipment
L 3240
May 12, 2011
Clarksville,tn usa
It sounds as though the indicator lights are working properly. You changed inquiry parameters when you added gauges. Does the engine run normally? Check whatever fuse(s) are for the instruments or gauges. If you're SURE it's the ignition switch you could try shooting a bit of contact cleaner into it and working the switch a few times. Start simple then do more troubleshooting before throwing money at the problem.
Thanks