L 2800 Hydrostatic pedal stiff?

MStewart40

Equipment
L2800 HST, Land Pride Tiller
Aug 20, 2020
Lipan, Texas
Hello all, I have a question for you. Does anyone know what would cause my L2800 hydrostatic transmission pedal to at times be very hard to engage? Revs high or low does seem to matter that much with the problem. At times I have to stomp on the pedal to get it to engage and move the tractor forward, other times it engages smoothly. Doesn't seem to effect reversing the tractor. Thanks for any advice with this issue.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hello all, I have a question for you. Does anyone know what would cause my L2800 hydrostatic transmission pedal to at times be very hard to engage? Revs high or low does seem to matter that much with the problem. At times I have to stomp on the pedal to get it to engage and move the tractor forward, other times it engages smoothly. Doesn't seem to effect reversing the tractor. Thanks for any advice with this issue.
Since no one else has commented I offer the following educated guess.

The HST pedal linkage has a damper which is another way of describing a shock absorber.
Its purpose is to limit abrupt pedal movements.
If its internal valves start to fail it would affect the operation of the HST pedal.
Look for this part and decide how easy one end could be disconnected allowing you to stroke the damper by hand to see how smooth its operation is.
It will have a corrugated rubber cover which could have been damaged allowing water and debris in contact with the damper rod.
Forum L2800 HST pedal damper.jpg

Dave

MStewart40

Equipment
L2800 HST, Land Pride Tiller
Aug 20, 2020
Lipan, Texas
Since no one else has commented I offer the following educated guess.

The HST pedal linkage has a damper which is another way of describing a shock absorber.
Its purpose is to limit abrupt pedal movements.
If its internal valves start to fail it would affect the operation of the HST pedal.
Look for this part and decide how easy one end could be disconnected allowing you to stroke the damper by hand to see how smooth its operation is.
It will have a corrugated rubber cover which could have been damaged allowing water and debris in contact with the damper rod.
View attachment 104091
Dave
Thank you Dave eng, that's a good place to start.