L 1200 Front End Loader Hydraulic Pump Case Cracked

mllkn6

Equipment
L245 DT, front loader, backhoe, bushog, planters, grain drill, fertilizer sprea
Apr 29, 2017
Williamston, SC
1977 Kubota L 245DT, Front End Loader L 1200
Hi Guys,
It seems like I fix one thing and something else goes out, after getting the clips in the transmission on and grinding the dog ears off the gears as needed, getting a new front tire, changing all the fluids and filters and putting a new bottom in the bucket, I put the old girl to work, when a hose on the front end loader blew out, after changing the two hoses on that cylinder another one went out, course they are all 43 years old so I replaced all the hoses to be safe.
Now the hydraulic pump case has developed a crack in it, not sure if it's just metal fatigue or I did it when tightening up on a fitting as it's where the hose connects that goes back to the controls. It's not a big wide crack but it's long, inside and outside as well. I'll include pictures as I got it off the tractor and took it apart after a good clean up, I hi-lighted the cracks with a black marker so they showed up better.
Take a look at the pictures and your thoughts on if it could be welded up or not, the crack on the inside bother me the most as the gears that spin around on the inside are tight against the sides of the case and it would be hard to grind the welds there for a good fit. I thought if it was clamped in a vise to close the crack up then welded on the outside maybe it would hold. The crack also goes into to where the fitting screws on as well.
I been looking on line for a replacement pump but not sure if they will work or not. This is a Webster pump and I figure it's not made now, plus the ones I seen on line are similar but have different connections as my fittings screwed directly into the pump and the new ones bolt to it.
Then there is the shaft that connects to the motor that turns the pump, still trying to get the set screws to come loose as they are not wanting to turn at all, any ideas as to what I can soak them in to loosen them up or how to get them out, I appreciate advice on that as well.
Guys, any advice is greatly appreciated on my part since I know some of you might have run into these problems before, right now I'm dead in the water.
Does any one know or have any specs on this pump, like gallons per minute it pumps?

Thanks

20200725_102108.jpg 20200725_102222.jpg 20200725_102336.jpg 20200725_102548.jpg 20200725_102742.jpg 20200725_102947.jpg
20200725_104159.jpg

Last edited:

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
The only fix on that pump is replacement. Trying to weld across the threads then retapping would be a nightmare.

mllkn6

Equipment
Apr 29, 2017
Williamston, SC
The only fix on that pump is replacement. Trying to weld across the threads then retapping would be a nightmare.
Thanks Workerbee, I sort of figured that also plus it would be almost impossible to grind the inside welds where the gears go too. I was hoping someone had a fix I hadn't thought about, anyway I have ordered a new pump from Northern Tool which is suppose to be here in a day or two, hopefully. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post, thank you.
While waiting on the pump I am building a brush guard to go around the pump out of 1/2" bar I have, nothing fancy just 2 rows of bar in front of it with 4 up rights welded to them, with two bolted back to the frame where the pump bolts on at so I can remove it if needed, plus reworking the fittings at the pump to allow me to raise the hoses so they don't hang under the tractor like they did before.
Again thank you for the reply.
Can anyone tell me what type of hydraulic fluid and weight to go back with? I drained the tank and cleaned it out when I changed hoses plus put on a new filter, I used the last of the Kubota fluid I had to refill it. The closest Kubota dealer, since the one here closed down a few years ago, is almost 60 miles away and Kubota fluid has gotten so expensive now too.
Thanks

Last edited:

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
I certainly hope you can find a pump that fits up ok at Northern Hydraulics. I wouldn’t have even looked there. Usually OEM pumps are different from commonly available stuff. Either in the way they mount or in specifications. D2 gave you a good tip there on locating a pump should your first option not pan out.
And any sort of oil recomendations will draw a lot of different opinions. All Id say is that Id go with UDT even if it was a couple hours of road time to get it. I would time the trip for when I could get other items I needed at other stores also. Theres not a lot of reason to take chances of wearing things out faster or having an internal failure due to an inferior fluid. I realize some are fine and some arent. Its about impossible to discern one from the other so why not just go with a known performer, the UDT?
Best of luck on your repairs!

mllkn6

Equipment
Apr 29, 2017
Williamston, SC
Might send a PM to "007kubotaguy" on this forum. He may be able to come to your rescue.
Thanks D2Cat, Lance is very knowledgeable and a great person, talked with him several times in the past about issues. He was a life saver when the clips came out of my transmission in helping me put new ones in.
The new pump is suppose to be here today, they say, but we all know how that goes too. I'll let everyone know how well it performs.

mllkn6

Equipment
Apr 29, 2017
Williamston, SC
I certainly hope you can find a pump that fits up ok at Northern Hydraulics. I wouldn’t have even looked there. Usually OEM pumps are different from commonly available stuff. Either in the way they mount or in specifications. D2 gave you a good tip there on locating a pump should your first option not pan out.
And any sort of oil recomendations will draw a lot of different opinions. All Id say is that Id go with UDT even if it was a couple hours of road time to get it. I would time the trip for when I could get other items I needed at other stores also. Theres not a lot of reason to take chances of wearing things out faster or having an internal failure due to an inferior fluid. I realize some are fine and some arent. Its about impossible to discern one from the other so why not just go with a known performer, the UDT?
Best of luck on your repairs!
Thanks Workerbee, The new pump is suppose to be in today, they say, not holding my breath either, got that T shirt already. I'm hoping the new pump works, didn't have much to go on as far as specs either, the L 1200 Front End Loader Manual doesn't even show the pump or hoses to it, nor could I find anything on the pump on line. I had to compare the bolt pattern, shaft size and location so they matched, plus the cubic inch displacement and it being gear driven like the old one. I talked with several people that sold pumps about the GPM pumping rate and PSI for their best guess as to what the old pump might have been rated, all of them came up with about the same ratings. My biggest problem was the shaft length out the back side, my old pump had a 2" shaft length and the new ones are only 1", but I got lucky there too. The shaft that connects the pump to the motor was long enough that I could loosen the fittings on each end and slip them out 3/16" each so I got 3/4" penetration on the new pump shaft like the old one and still have 7/8" on both ends. I looked at probably over 100 pumps and chatted with at least 10 different people that sold pumps before buying this one, one of the people I talked with suggested Northern Tool to me is how I come to look at their pumps, I would have never thought about them if he had not mentioned it. If it not strong enough they said I could return it.
As far as hydraulic fluid, I'll probably go with the Kubota, I just wanted to know if anyone had found something else now that worked as well or better. Discussing oil brands is almost as bad as discussing politics too. LOL
I've used the down time well, made the brush guard to go in front of the pump, will put it on after I make sure the pump works, crawled under the tractor and tightened up some bolts, I was surprised at how many I could make a half a turn with a ratchet on too and made some adjustments to little things I been saying I was going to do for years but never got around to them, well now they are done. LOL
Thanks.