Kubota ZG227 (no crank)

MikeHall

Jan 22, 2015
Leesburg GA
I picked up a ZG227 which had thrown a rod for dirt cheap. It has about 1500 hours but is still in pretty dang good shape other than the deck needing a little work. Anyhow I could not find a replacement engine so I picked up a 26hp kohler (liquid cooled version) and I have been unable to actually turn the key and start the engine. Here are things that I have done trying to trouble shoot the issue.

Checked all safety switches (seat, PTO, park) all tested good and all connection were cleaned before plugging everything back up.

Checked all fuses which all were good

Inspected not uses portion of wiring harness and did not see anything that should keep key from cranking engine over. Only thing I really used off the actual engine harness was for the fuel shutoff and the starter wiring.

I have no clue were to go from here. I am often able to figure things out without a problem but i see no other areas that could be the problem. The mower was said to be working just fine until the rod went through the block. I do know when key is on the fuel shutoff opens up so maybe I am just missing something that is simple. BTW, I have searched everywhere for a wiring diagram but without any luck.

On another note, I had to move the engine back 2.5" due to the radiator and the pulley which is on the flywheel. This caused me to run into a minor issue which may be simple to resolve or may be a little more complex. I do not have room for the factor muffler to fit under the hood. Are there any compact mufflers which I could use or possibly a simple yet effective muffler design that i could build? I kind of want to keep everything under the hood.

Thanks
Mike

Attachments

MikeHall

Jan 22, 2015
Leesburg GA
Well never mind. I discovered there was also a brake safety switch and it was the problem. that switch is hidden well and with all the grass that was around it i would have never seen it if it was not for the parts diagram. She fires right up now with the key. Now to fab up an exhaust and do some minor deck repairs and i think I have a pretty dang nice mower for $750 i have in it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I would like to find one of those ZG200 mowers like that, bad engine. I have 5 engines at work, all ran, used oil though. 222 and 227 engines both, couple of each-and I think a 327 engine too.

MikeHall

Jan 22, 2015
Leesburg GA
This ZG227 has the 27hp kubota gas engine which I could not find any parts nor a replacement engine for a reasonable price so that is why I did the engine swap. All that I need to do is swap out the throttle and choke cables and fab up a muffler system and i can get to cutting some grass in luxury. haha This thing sits like a lazy boy chair and the hydro is ultra smooth compared to other zero turns I have owned. I actually got more than this Kubota out of the deal, He also gave me a OLD toro wheelhorse zero turn which he stated was running not long ago. I pulled the plugs and the valves were all stuck open so its going to need some attention before it will run now. Its a nice built little zero turn from the early to mid 90s so I may tinker on it at some point or build something out of it.

MikeHall

Jan 22, 2015
Leesburg GA
Well, I buttoned up the engine swap late last night by building a new muffler system with the original unit off the kubota engine. I have found some kind of issue which I can not figure out. It seems the fuel pump runs then shuts off after a few moments. I do believe that the carb is filling with fuel then running out after about 30 seconds which is consistently does now. I can not find anything as far as service manuals on this mower so I have no idea where to look. Is there possibly some sensor that the kubota control board needs to keep the fuel pump running? What would determine the length of time the pump runs? I can turn the key and sometimes it runs for about 5 second other times its not even on a second. Any help with this would be great. Mowing grass 30 second at a time is no fun. :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Mike, check the fuel pump. Not sure where it's located on your model. But you can get the illustrated parts list for your mower at this link ;)

http://www.kubota.com/part/partsList.aspx

Just scroll down, except the terms and conditions. Then type in the model number for your mower. Use capital letters. Just a quick search and it popped up 4 different models of your mowers, and would list the engine parts as well :D

You could also have a seat switch or one of the switches for your arms out of adjustment.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That sounds like the fuel pump is working properly, the fuel pump will pump up to pressure and then shut off until the pressure drops. ;)

MikeHall

Jan 22, 2015
Leesburg GA
Well, little did i know that the oil pressure switch had to be connected in order to keep the fuel pump running. I kind of figured that a mower would lack such features but this kubota wasn't lacking it. So if low oil pressure is sensed the fuel pump shuts off. I ended up calling the dealer to ask and they told me right away what the issue was. All I can say is this mower is worlds better than any other mower I have used, Its Fast, powerful and so smooth.