Kubota RFM-60 Question's

K80Shooter

Mar 13, 2016
Hartwell, GA
I just ran across a Kubota rfm-60 mower at a somewhat (to me) decent price. I'm replacing the belt and anything else that need done and have a couple of questions.

1. I want to replace the fluid/gear oil in the gear box. How's the best way to do this and how much of what do I put back in it?

2. The tires are old and showing lots of cracks, some needs air or repairing. If replacing would you go back with the solid tires or back as they are. I'm somewhat afraid they wont hold up as bad as they look if repaired.

I have tried finding a manual on this but cant. Any help with that would be appreciated also.

Thanks

K80Shooter

Mar 13, 2016
Hartwell, GA
43 Views and no replies, makes me think either it's junk and no one wants to tell me or either no one knows anything about them.

If there's problems feel free to tell me, you're not going to hurt my feelings. Either way it's mine to do whatever with.

aeronutt

Equipment
Z725 Mower, MX5200 w/FEL, Stihl 660, assorted others...
Jan 7, 2016
Omaha NE
Don't know anything about that particular model. Never seen one in person. However, just about every gear box I've seen has a drain plug at the bottom and a fill plug on the side. Draining it should be pretty self explanitory. Refill it with a quality gear lube either up to the level of the fill hole on the side or to a level marked somewhere on a dipstick or the casting if the fill hole is on top. All gear boxes need some air space in them so be sure not to completely fill the case. 80-W90 is pretty standard. You won't burn anything up if you use a slightly different grade like 75-w90, they all lubricate gears and let's face it: this isn't exactly a critical application.

I would replace the tires with exactly the same type that came from the factory, but that's entirely up to you.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'm not familiar with your model mower, specifically, but if there is not a drain plug to remove on the gear box you'll need to suck it out with a vacuum pump. You can use 80W90 gear oil in the box.

For tires, find some replacements of the same size and install them. If the wheels are bent you will either have to straighten them, or maybe you can install tubes in your new tires.

It's a finish mower, so solid tires is not necessary. You shouldn't be going places that offer opportunities to bust a tire!! Stay on the grass.:D

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
Most likely will need a suction pump to pull the oil out of the gear box.

There are lots of options for tires. Not knowing how bad the rim is bent....makes it a hard call on that one. If it is unique enough to be hard to replace, there are places that repair bent rims.

Blades sharp / balanced? Grease for the Spindles?

Then lets see some pictures

K80Shooter

Mar 13, 2016
Hartwell, GA
Most likely will need a suction pump to pull the oil out of the gear box.

There are lots of options for tires. Not knowing how bad the rim is bent....makes it a hard call on that one. If it is unique enough to be hard to replace, there are places that repair bent rims.

Blades sharp / balanced? Grease for the Spindles?

Then lets see some pictures
Yea there is no drain plug for the gear box. None of the rims are bent but all the tires are really cracked up pretty good. Two of the 4 leaks and will not hold air. I did call Coleman's and was told they no longer offer the tire and tubes, only the solid tires/rims for 60.00 each. There's some on ebay for about 80.00 for 2 that is the right size, say's they are for a scag but I don't see where that matters. I'm only thinking solid because I do not want to deal with leaking or flat tires in the future.

Going to pick up a load of equipment from everything attachments tomorrow then I will start work on it. Blades look new but needs cleaned up from setting a while. The only noticeable damage I see is the chute where the grass comes out, it has been hit and someone tried to straighten it in place of replacing it.

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
Yea there is no drain plug for the gear box. None of the rims are bent but all the tires are really cracked up pretty good. Two of the 4 leaks and will not hold air. I did call Coleman's and was told they no longer offer the tire and tubes, only the solid tires/rims for 60.00 each. There's some on ebay for about 80.00 for 2 that is the right size, say's they are for a scag but I don't see where that matters. I'm only thinking solid because I do not want to deal with leaking or flat tires in the future.

Going to pick up a load of equipment from everything attachments tomorrow then I will start work on it. Blades look new but needs cleaned up from setting a while. The only noticeable damage I see is the chute where the grass comes out, it has been hit and someone tried to straighten it in place of replacing it.

Try these guys. They carry quite a few tires. Maybe they can help.

http://www.millertire.com/

Bags

Equipment
B7800, RFM-60, Loader, Backhoe
Jun 16, 2016
Kentucky
I purchased the RFM-60 deck in 2003 new. It has had a very, very rough usage life. I have probably used it more like a bush hog than a finish mower and it is a very well built tank.

I have only replaced the belt once and have not been very on top of regular maintenance. Such as gear oil, grease, etc; It does get that stuff but not every year by any means. Maybe every few years.

It is a heavy duty well built unit. Comparatively speaking my neighbor has a newer Kubota and a different RFM. His is nowhere near as heavy duty.

I highly recommend the RFM-60. It is tough, cuts well, and almost bullet proof within reason.

What kind of price was your used unit and how old? If I remember I think mine had a price tag of about $1,899.00 new back in 2003. All of my Kubota attachments and tractor were bought new in January of '03 FYI. All have stood rough and heavy use and the test of time without issues.

Steve NC

Equipment
B7100D, L2900DT, ZD21, G6200,
Dec 29, 2014
Sandy Bottom North Carolina
You might want to try agri supply for help replacing the wheels. They have a few stores in Ga. That place is like a farmer's toy store. I use them for almost all of mower blades, belts, and bearings. As for changing the gear oil, im not sure how your mower is set up but on my woods rd60 I have to almost remove the gear box mounting plate to replace the belt so I go ahead and finish removing the other two bolts and take the gear box off. I turn it over in a drain pan with the vent tube removed from the top of the box to drain all the oil. I then refill it with a synthetic 80w-90 gear oil.

www.agrisupply.com