Kubota rck54 22bx mower gear case disassembly

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
The other day I pulled the mower off my new to me bx2200 to replace the blades and check the bearings and gear case..

Come to find the gear case had no gear oil.. being I had no parts, and wanted to see what the problem was I filled it with 80w90 and stuck the deck back on..

Went to mow today and about 10 minutes in smelled gear case oil.. sure enough it was leaking..

I suspect the bottom gear case seal is toast as there was a good puddle under it.. going to pull it apart tomorrow and see whats going on..

should say going to attempt to.. never pulled one of these apart and could use some advice mostly on getting it off the deck, attempted to yesterday and it seemed to be struck to the shaft going to the middle blade..

I have some nice pully pullers so should not be to much of a issue, just looking for some pointers if anyone has done so before

Attachments

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The best thing to do is go to Messicks.com and put the part number into the Kubota parts search, and download and print the pages of the mower deck. Using those, you should be able to get it apart, once you see how it was assembled. I suggest purchasing a can of Deep Creep by Sea Foam, since there is no doubt in my mind that you will encounter some stuck bolts etc. That mower deck was probably manufactured in 2004 based on the model number. Pressure wash the top and bottom first, and while you are in there, check the spindle bearings also. If the seal has a number on it, you might be able to get one locally at a bearing supply house. NAPA sometimes can also cross reference the seal number to something that they can get. If the shaft is scored, you can get a press on stainless steel sleeve to repair that problem. It is when you get into replacing gears that it gets really expensive. Don't know if this link will work for you, but give it a try... https://messicks.com/ku/86127

Reactions: 1 user

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
The best thing to do is go to Messicks.com and put the part number into the Kubota parts search, and download and print the pages of the mower deck. Using those, you should be able to get it apart, once you see how it was assembled. I suggest purchasing a can of Deep Creep by Sea Foam, since there is no doubt in my mind that you will encounter some stuck bolts etc. That mower deck was probably manufactured in 2004 based on the model number. Pressure wash the top and bottom first, and while you are in there, check the spindle bearings also. If the seal has a number on it, you might be able to get one locally at a bearing supply house. NAPA sometimes can also cross reference the seal number to something that they can get. If the shaft is scored, you can get a press on stainless steel sleeve to repair that problem. It is when you get into replacing gears that it gets really expensive. Don't know if this link will work for you, but give it a try... https://messicks.com/ku/86127

Thanks! Already looked on messicks.. the gears ($300 for both) , and case and gear shafts are the only things that are pricy. the rest is under 55 for all the seals and bearings will order once I pull it apart and see whats going on, luckily I have 2 other mowers so I'm not in a hurry

Will update tomorrow

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
To remove the gearbox, remove the center blade bolt, boss, washers, and blade.
There is a snap ring holding the hub onto the spindle shaft, remove it & the hub.
Remove the RH gearbox to deck mounting bracket, (2 bolts into gearbox, 2 nuts on deck).
Remove the 2 bolts through the LH bracket into the gearbox.
The gearbox will now lift off of the deck by hand.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Yes. Everything looks very good.. even the bearings look good, but I can hear a little noise when they are dry.. it seems there is a tiny bit of play on the blade shaft.. not sure why the oil seal failed it looks good and is still tight against the shaft..

Still examining it.. going to go over everything and make a parts list and order tomorrow..

Little bit of a heat mark on the pto shaft side bearing but can't feel or see any marks on the shaft.. blade shaft looks great with no marks on it, but the thin spacer washer needs to be replaced

Attachments

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Had to get my big puller out.. it really did not want to come off..
There is no reason to remove the pully from the output shaft. When you disassemble the gearbox and remove the snap ring from the top of the output shaft, the shaft and pulley assembly just falls out.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
There is no reason to remove the pully from the output shaft. When you disassemble the gearbox and remove the snap ring from the top of the output shaft, the shaft and pulley assembly just falls out.

Unless your a wizard and can do magic is that true.. the blade shaft only comes out from the top of the gearcase..

I'll take a few pictures of it later to show it

Edit.. ok your right.. opps.

My first time taking one of these apart..

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
By the time that you learn all the tricks of disassembly and reassembly, you will not need them again for many years, and by then you will have forgotten them. I have learned this lesson from working on cars for 60+ years. Now I search the internet for the little hints that I have forgotten.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Unless your a wizard and can do magic is that true.. the blade shaft only comes out from the top of the gearcase..

I'll take a few pictures of it later to show it

Edit.. ok your right.. opps.

My first time taking one of these apart..
I rebuild several dozen of these a year. :)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Whitetiger, I "get a kick" out of situations where you give advise and folks know that is not the way it is and will check with their dealer to get the facts! You always keep a cool head and just let it flow.

Kind of like getting on a health line and asking a question about one's health problem. A Dr. responds with an appropriate solution, but the patient doesn't think that answer suits their condition and consults his personal Dr.

Reactions: 2 users

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Whitetiger, I "get a kick" out of situations where you give advise and folks know that is not the way it is and will check with their dealer to get the facts! You always keep a cool head and just let it flow.

Kind of like getting on a health line and asking a question about one's health problem. A Dr. responds with an appropriate solution, but the patient doesn't think that answer suits their condition and consults his personal Dr.
Yes I goofed.. and owned up to it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
probably not relevent at this point, but for future reference you can remove the shaft without disassembling the gearcase.

Remove top cap. Using a 45 deg snap ring plier, remove the snap ring from the shaft. Keep the ring spread while you jerk the shaft out of the bottom of the gearcase. Replace the seal. Reinstallation is the reverse but more challenging in lining up the groove with the snap ring. Not hard though.

this only works if the rest of the gearcase is not damaged. If it is, rebuild it or replace it.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Got the parts today from messicks that I ordered on the 13th..

love that place! They had everything i needed in stock! Ordered 2 extra oil seals just to have incase..

I put the gear box all back together with all new oil seals bearings and spacer Washers and installed the seals and bearings on the blade housing..

Will finish putting the deck back together tomorrow

Attachments

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I have stopped using messick

takes a week to 10 days for in stock items to get to me. If they're not in stock, up to a month for items that are in the warehouse (I can check what warehouse they come from). Plus the shipping charge is a little on the high side for the small items that I purchased. $20 for a hydraulic cylinder seal is excessive but I also understand he's got to make some money too.

Local dealer, if it's in stock, I get it that day. Not in stock, 3-5 business days if in warehouse. Or wait another day or two and let them put it on a stock order, get a little break on the price that way (enough to cover the tax and that's about it). Without the break it ends up a little less expensive than messick.

Messicks is VERY convenient, however, and I like that-particularly if I don't feel like leaving the house or going to the local dealer for whatever reason, both rare. I feel that the local dealer could use some coaching on how to handle online orders, but they didn't listen to me when I worked there, and I'm pretty sure they ain't gonna listen to me now that I don't. So much untapped opportunity in many areas at that place

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
My local dealer costs more then messicks with shipping... that and I've waited at the counter for 45 min a few times for them to fill up 5 gallons of oil.. no thanks..

I got the gear case installed on the mower and mowed for about an hour and no leaks! Woohoo!

Was pretty easy to do.. took a bunch of pics while taking stuff apart to remember how it goes back together correctly..

Attachments