Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Turfturd

Equipment
B7510
May 20, 2021
Missouri
I would agree with lmicheal.
Oil is 1 of the cheapest types of maintenance and one of the most important.
When you mix brands and/or weights you are mixing and changing the additives that make it that “type” of oil. I would just bite the bullet and buy enough of one kind.

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Here is a link to an array of calculators. Good or bad code they work and all you have to is plug in a couple values.

Dan
Nice to see that they finally put the same stuff out for the public that I put together in the early 90s. At that time, the stuff I put together would have been proprietary. I've all the same tools as in the reference including a bunch more. Could model a whole lube oil processing plant to tell where it's limits were for certain feedstocks, etc. All kinds of tools for viscosity, VI, blending, etc.

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Nice to see that they finally put the same stuff out for the public that I put together in the early 90s. At that time, the stuff I put together would have been proprietary. I've all the same tools as in the reference including a bunch more. Could model a whole lube oil processing plant to tell where it's limits were for certain feedstocks, etc. All kinds of tools for viscosity, VI, blending, etc.
Glad I have access to the code for the viscosity calculator ... I'm learning a software tool (r/shiny) and this gives me a simple calculator to mimic.

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Ralpha--

I've been looking at your VB code and some of the other viscosity calculators out there. This morning I started writing my own version in R.

I have a couple of questions about the code you posted:

1) There's a comment in your code about calculating viscosity differently for cs values <2. It looks like it's not just a different constant, but a significantly different formula ... care to comment?

Code:
dVis = dVis - Exp((-0.7487 - 3.295 * dVis) + 0.6119 * dPt7Sq - 0.3193 * dPt7Cube)
2) I notice in a few places you use the EXP function, which calculates e raised to a power. This strikes me as odd because all of the logs are base 10. Is this an error or is this what you actually intended? Here are a couple of examples:

Code:
If dVis < 2# Then
  dCval = Exp(-1.14883 - 2.65868 * dVis)
End If

If dVis < 1.65 Then
  dDval = Exp(-0.0038138 - 12.5645 * dVis)
End If
dZval = dVis + 0.7 + dCval - dDval + dEval - dFval + dGval - dHval
astm_d341_vm = Log10(Log10(dZval))