Kubota L4701 150 hours rear end stripped gear popping noise. NOW WITH VIDEO

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
I have kubota L4701. 150 hour, a little over a year old.
I was backing down a steep hill and I hit the brakes and a loud popping noise and the rear tires shuttered as it popped. like a gear stripped out. Ever since then the brakes make a loud squealing noise every time you hit the brakes.
I took it to the kubota dealership and they said that I have to pay for them to take it apart and diagnose the issue. The repair technician apparently danced around in a circle after rubbing his crystal ball and said he “is pretty sure” it is the brakes and is” pretty sure that I will have to pay to fix it. The stripped out rear end damaged the brakes and it isn’t kubota‘s problem.
now I am stuck taking it back to the farm and backing down the hill and hitting the brakes until the rear end is stripped out to the point it doesn’t move or makes the noise on flat land so the dealer can replicate the issue on flat land.
‘Hopefully the front tires will best enough to hold me back when gears are com stripped out.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have kubota L4701. 150 hour, a little over a year old.
I was backing down a steep hill and I hit the brakes and a loud popping noise and the rear tires shuttered as it popped. like a gear stripped out. Ever since then the brakes make a loud squealing noise every time you hit the brakes.
I took it to the kubota dealership and they said that I have to pay for them to take it apart and diagnose the issue. The repair technician apparently danced around in a circle after rubbing his crystal ball and said he “is pretty sure” it is the brakes and is” pretty sure that I will have to pay to fix it. The stripped out rear end damaged the brakes and it isn’t kubota‘s problem.
now I am stuck taking it back to the farm and backing down the hill and hitting the brakes until the rear end is stripped out to the point it doesn’t move or makes the noise on flat land so the dealer can replicate the issue on flat land.
‘Hopefully the front tires will best enough to hold me back when gears are com stripped out.
Nope the front end won't do anything to slow you down when the back looses braking.
As the front has no brakes of there own!

Last edited:

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Nope the front end won't do anything to slow you down when the back looses braking.
As the front has no brakes of there own!
I better hold on then, I talked to kubota warranty department and warned them that I have an unsafe tractor with 150 hour and under factor warranty but they don’t care. Kubota wants me to keep backing down a steep hill and continue to strip out the damaged rear end until it either doesn’t move or the rear end pops on level ground so the tech can “duplicate“ the issue. Hopefully whatever the rear end completely destroys itself I can maintain control of the vehicle and I don’t get serious injuries or death.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Unfortunate circumstance. This is an HST tractor?

Tractor brakes are not highly technical like we see in automobiles. In 50+ years, I’ve never relied on tractor brakes for much.

Don’t have any sage advice to give. Sincerely wish I did.

If you feel the tractor is unsafe for you to operate, you shouldn’t do so. “Serious injuries or death” are not alternatives you should challenge.

I’ve known some that did, and it didn’t work out well….

Last edited:

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Have you considered asking the dealer if someone can come out and observe the situation as you stop on the slope? They can add that to the repair bill if they decide it’s not warranty work. On the other hand, they can add it to the warranty invoice when they figure out it is warranty work.

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Have you considered asking the dealer if someone can come out and observe the situation as you stop on the slope? They can add that to the repair bill if they decide it’s not warranty work. On the other hand, they can add it to the warranty invoice when they figure out it is warranty work.
That would replicate the OP’s issue where he felt unsafe.

In my opinion, not wise to try it again….

Not pointing fingers at original poster or Kubota, but trying it once more is inviting a bad outcome….

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Unfortunate circumstance. This is an HST tractor?

Tractor brakes are not highly technical like we see in automobiles. In 50 years, I’ve never relied on tractor brakes for much.

Don’t have any sage advice to give. Sincerely wish I did.

If you feel the tractor is unsafe for you to operate, you shouldn’t do so. “Serious injuries or death” are not alternatives you should challenge.

I’ve known some that did, and it didn’t work out well….
Yes it is a HST, I don’t know what is going to happen when it completely breaks. Rear tires free wheel or loss of braking. Neither sounds fun going down a steep mountain.
If the rear wheels start free wheeling I am hopeful that the front tires will hold me back, if the brakes go out completely I am hopeful the HST will stop me. At this point according to Kubota that is my only option unless I pay for them to diagnose it or fix it myself.
The fact that the rear tires shutter and jerk every time the gear slips in the rear end has me worried about my safety while I attempt to completely destroy the damaged gears in the rear end. (Only way according to kubota to get it fixed under warrant).

I will be prepared to jump from the tractor because if it goes down the mountain there is a 100 foot rock cliff that the tractor will go over if the trees don’t stop it and then I will call KTAC insurance to pick up what is left of the tractor. Better than dealing with kubota warranty.
The parking brake has never worked if parking the tractor on a hill. Maybe I should park it on the mountain and hope that the parking brake holds it back so it doesn’t fall down a 100 foot rock cliff? Would be safer than risking my life.

Kubota won’t take the tractor apart to properly diagnose the problem. All they will do is rub a crystal ball and guess that the problem is my fault and I have to pay to fix a new $60,000 tractor with 150 hours on it.
Kubota said that if I keep using the tractor until the gear is destroyed that I will have to pay for the diagnostic to disassemble the tractor and see if it is under warranty.

My options according to kubota warranty department:

#1 For me to pay them now to take it apart to diagnose the warranty issue.
#2 For me to continue to use and destroy the rear end until either it doesn’t move anymore or the damaged gear strips out bad enough to make the loud popping noise on flat ground (So they can duplicate the issue) which at that point I would still have to pay for them to disassemble it to determine if it is a warranty issue.

If anyone has any good suggestions on how to jump off a tractor and live to tell about it I would appreciate it, maybe tuck and roll?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I better hold on then, I talked to kubota warranty department and warned them that I have an unsafe tractor with 150 hour and under factor warranty but they don’t care. Kubota wants me to keep backing down a steep hill and continue to strip out the damaged rear end until it either doesn’t move or the rear end pops on level ground so the tech can “duplicate“ the issue. Hopefully whatever the rear end completely destroys itself I can maintain control of the vehicle and I don’t get serious injuries or death.
I am wondering what gear would be in the tractor that would only be a problem when moving in one direction, and not the other.

Is this a gear tractor rather than a HST? Only asking because on my tractors which are both HST I rarely use the brakes except as parking brakes.

Could the issue be with the brakes themselves and not the transmission at all?

edit: I guess I was typing with one finger and did not see your reply to RCW. My other questions might still apply though…

2nd edit: best way to jump off the tractor is to have your seatbelt on and your ROPS up before something goes wrong. After the tractor stops moving release your seatbelt and jump off!

Last edited:

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
I drove 150 miles to take it to the kubota dealership to get it repaired under warranty. They have no hills to replicate the loud popping noise. So I drove down to the dealership and was Able to get the rear end to pop twice but they claimed that I was hitting the brakes too hard and even tho I was able to replicate the noise on flat land he wasn’t able to.
I used the tractor for a year and the brakes never made a loud squealing noise unit after the first time the rear end popped and he said it was normal for the brakes to make make a loud squealing noise even tho it never made one squeak for the year I owned it.

A gear in the rear end stripped and most likely metal shavings got into the brakes causing a loud squealing noise which I am responsible for, if that makes since.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
I am wondering what gear would be in the tractor that would only be a problem when moving in one direction, and not the other.

Is this a gear tractor rather than a HST? Only asking because on my tractors which are both HST I rarely use the brakes except as parking brakes.

Could the issue be with the brakes themselves and not the transmission at all?
The loud popping noise will happen forward or backwards going down hill.
I split the brakes and it still popped no matter if I used right or left brake, made no difference. It is definitely easier to replicate the popping noise going backwards at this point but I suspect that after a couple more pops it will be toast. I only let it pop a couple times before I quit using it and took it in for service.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The loud popping noise will happen forward or backwards going down hill.
I split the brakes and it still popped no matter if I used right or left brake, made no difference. It is definitely easier to replicate the popping noise going backwards at this point but I suspect that after a couple more pops it will be toast. I only let it pop a couple times before I quit using it and took it in for service.
Is it only making this noise when you apply the brakes, and not when you just use the HST?

I am having trouble understanding why you need to use the brakes regularly with a HST tractor.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Is it only making this noise when you apply the brakes, and not when you just use the HST?

I am having trouble understanding why you need to use the brakes regularly with a HST tractor.
Yes, when you hit the brakes going down a hill it make a terrible popping noise from the rear end, like a gear stripped out, as it makes the popping noise both rear tires jerk and shutter at the same time it pops.

When it first happened I was going slowly down a steep hill backwards and hit the brakes and it popped, tires jerked. Ever since then it now squeals badly when hitting the brakes on flat land. I then went down hill again and the rear end popped every time I hit the brakes. Even after splitting the brakes and trying them one at a time it still popped. I immediately took it to the dealer who somehow diagnosed it without taking anything apart and said it was normal for the loud squealing noise every time you hit the brakes even though it never did that for the first 150 hours and never squealed until after the first popping noise from the rear end.
i very rarely ever used the brakes. The only reason I used them was when I was slowing backing down the hill and wanted to come to a complete stop on the steep hill. If I didn’t want to stop on the steep hill I would of never used the brakes.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yes it is a HST, I don’t know what is going to happen when it completely breaks. Rear tires free wheel or loss of braking. Neither sounds fun going down a steep mountain.
If the rear wheels start free wheeling I am hopeful that the front tires will hold me back, if the brakes go out completely I am hopeful the HST will stop me. At this point according to Kubota that is my only option unless I pay for them to diagnose it or fix it myself.
The fact that the rear tires shutter and jerk every time the gear slips in the rear end has me worried about my safety while I attempt to completely destroy the damaged gears in the rear end. (Only way according to kubota to get it fixed under warrant).
Couple things I'm curious about now - -

Is your tractor in 4WD while doing this? Should be.

If in 4WD, the tractor "ties" the traction of the front wheels to the rear. Helps stopping power, whether braking or driving/stopping force of the HST.

NEVER rely on your tractor's brakes to stop you on a steep incline. Hold you maybe, but never to stop you.

"Steep" is very subjective.

What is steep to you, may not be for me. Same visa versa.

When you say steep, but then say a 100-foot cliff grabs my attention....100 foot is holy smokes! :oops:

If you're backing down a steep spot, are you skidding logs or trees?

Is it possible you're working outside the design limits of a base-model compact tractor?

It's not a JD 648 skidder....

Trust me, not being derogatory. Just trying to figure out circumstances.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yes, when you hit the brakes going down a hill it make a terrible popping noise from the rear end, like a gear stripped out, as it makes the popping noise both rear tires jerk and shutter at the same time it pops.

When it first happened I was going slowly down a steep hill backwards and hit the brakes and it popped, tires jerked. Ever since then it now squeals badly when hitting the brakes on flat land. I then went down hill again and the rear end popped every time I hit the brakes. Even after splitting the brakes and trying them one at a time it still popped. I immediately took it to the dealer who somehow diagnosed it without taking anything apart and said it was normal for the loud squealing noise every time you hit the brakes even though it never did that for the first 150 hours and never squealed until after the first popping noise from the rear end.
i very rarely ever used the brakes. The only reason I used them was when I was slowing backing down the hill and wanted to come to a complete stop on the steep hill. If I didn’t want to stop on the steep hill I would of never used the brakes.
PS -- - - I'm really reaching - but think you broke something in the brakes.

Reaction with an HST is let off the "go-pedal", unless there's a heavy load pushing/pulling the tractor down the hill......not hit the brakes.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
This discussion makes no sense. Your tractor isn’t operating correctly and the outcome is dangerous. The answer isn’t to keep operating an unsafe machine. Either tear it down and fix it yourself or have the dealer do it and pay them. If you get lucky they will warranty the repair. If not you will still have a fixed tractor that is safe to operate and be out a few bucks. It’s the price of owning these machines.

Reactions: 4 users

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
This discussion makes no sense. Your tractor isn’t operating correctly and the outcome is dangerous. The answer isn’t to keep operating an unsafe machine. Either tear it down and fix it yourself or have the dealer do it and pay them. If you get lucky they will warranty the repair. If not you will still have a fixed tractor that is safe to operate and be out a few bucks. It’s the price of owning these machines.
According to Kubota warranty and the dealer their answer was to continue to operate the unsafe tractor, that is exactly what I was told to do.

I paid $60,000 for this piece of junk Covid tractor That has a full 2 year factory warrant. If it goes over a 100 foot rock cliff because of the defective tractor that isn’t my problem, I was told to continue to operate the defective tractor. I won’t be paying a dollar for this piece of junk unless I pay the $250 deductible for KTAC to pick it up from the bottom of a 100 foot rock cliff. Then I will sell the new replacement L4701 and buy a tractor from a reputable company.

I am going to try and call a reputable kubota dealer 150 miles one way and see if they can help me, if not I will take it back to the farm and hope that the defective tractor doesn’t malfunction and end up in pieces on the bottom of the rock cliff. Accidents happen especially when the tractor is defective and the manufacturer refuses to fix a defect machine. I paid $6,000 for insurance to protect me from accidents, so I am covered.
The defective machine has been reported to the manufacturer and if I get injured or die operating a defective machine under warranty that the manufacturer refusal to disassemble and properly diagnose the machine then they will be liable for any property damages or injuries,
I won’t be operating this tractor without a GoPro recording.
I will be posting videos on this lemon showing the factory defect and to have evidence for my lawyer when everything goes sideway.

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
Just pay to fix it and avoid whatever user error caused it
Yes pushing the brake going down the hill is a user error, I read the owners manual from cover to cover and nowhere did it say that you can’t use the brakes, why do they install brakes if you can not use them? If the pushing the brakes causes a gear in the rear end to strip out then they should not have breaks to begin with. Why have break’s installed on a tractor if you can not use them?

Rdrett

Dec 5, 2017
Paris Ky
I owned a kubota L2501 for 6 year used the brakes a 100‘s of times and never had an issue. Odd ain’t it? Maybe next time I will buy a real tractor so I can use the brake, apparently kubota can’t handle using the brakes without stripping out the rear end.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Here is the one thing that gets missed if it is a warranty issue then there will be no bill to you as it's covered by the warranty.
If it's not covered, as they deem it abuse then you will have to pay.
I think KTAC insurance will pay for it at that point as that insurance covers everything on the tractor.
So not getting it fixed is just foolish.
Loss of a brake lining, is the most likely issue and not a gear issue.

And enough with the Drama Queen Theatrics, it doesn't do you or anyone else any good.

Reactions: 12 users