Kubota L35 hydraulic filter screen

pinetuck

Equipment
kUBOTA L35
Feb 9, 2017
Mobile, aLABAMA
I suspect I have a plugged filter screen in my suction line for the Transmission and Power Steering. I can't find any information on how to access and replace it. Anyone know anything about replacing the filter screen on a Kubota L35? It looks like you may have to remove major parts on the side of the transmission to get to it. Any help appreciated!

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I suspect I have a plugged filter screen in my suction line for the Transmission and Power Steering. I can't find any information on how to access and replace it. Anyone know anything about replacing the filter screen on a Kubota L35? It looks like you may have to remove major parts on the side of the transmission to get to it. Any help appreciated!
I'm pretty sure there is no suction screen on an L35 - the filter is on the pump(s) suction. What symptoms are you experiencing?

pinetuck

Equipment
kUBOTA L35
Feb 9, 2017
Mobile, aLABAMA
I have a 2003 Kubota L35 tractor with the FEL and backhoe, it has 2100 hours on it. My power steering started being a little hard every once in a while but for the most part worked ok, then it got progressively worse over the last week, until it went completely out and when it did the transmission also quit working. At first I thought it maybe the screen filter on the suction line, but the FEL and Backhoe use the same suction line and they both work normal. Waiting on some gages I ordered to test the pump on the side of the engine which runs the PS and Transmission. I checked for suction hose leaks and the hoes look fine. Changed the hydraulic oil and filter about 100 hours ago. Also changed the filter again 2 days ago when this problem got worse. Any suggestions are appreciated.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I have a 2003 Kubota L35 tractor with the FEL and backhoe, it has 2100 hours on it. My power steering started being a little hard every once in a while but for the most part worked ok, then it got progressively worse over the last week, until it went completely out and when it did the transmission also quit working. At first I thought it maybe the screen filter on the suction line, but the FEL and Backhoe use the same suction line and they both work normal. Waiting on some gages I ordered to test the pump on the side of the engine which runs the PS and Transmission. I checked for suction hose leaks and the hoes look fine. Changed the hydraulic oil and filter about 100 hours ago. Also changed the filter again 2 days ago when this problem got worse. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I'm not sure I can be of any help, but I'll sure be watching since my L35 is only a couple of years newer than yours, but has almost exactly the same hours.
As you may be aware, there is a regulator valve in that pump circuit that gives priority to the transmission as shown below:
Screenshot_20210330-165411.png
When I got mine about two years ago, it had a definite 'chirp' when shifted, but I never noticed any steering issue. I replaced all the suction line hoses and fixed a crushed steel line between the transmission and filter.
Those suction hoses are a common problem, and you won't see a leak because they're all above the fluid level, so there's no positive pressure on them even when the tractor's not running.

Reactions: 1 user

pinetuck

Equipment
kUBOTA L35
Feb 9, 2017
Mobile, aLABAMA
Been trouble shooting some today, found when the transmission is in neutral the power steering works, put it in F or R and it doesn't work. Also notice a slight whine when I shift from N to F or R.
I'm not sure I can be of any help, but I'll sure be watching since my L35 is only a couple of years newer than yours, but has almost exactly the same hours.
As you may be aware, there is a regulator valve in that pump circuit that gives priority to the transmission as shown below:
View attachment 57193
When I got mine about two years ago, it had a definite 'chirp' when shifted, but I never noticed any steering issue. I replaced all the suction line hoses and fixed a crushed steel line between the transmission and filter.
Those suction hoses are a common problem, and you won't see a leak because they're all above the fluid level, so there's no positive pressure on them even when the tractor's not running.
I gonna take it to the Kubota Service Dept in Lucedale, Ms in the morning. I got to get it repaired asap. I have a business (Tractor and Backhoe Services LLC) and we are getting further behind. I appreciate your comments and trying to help.

Reactions: 1 user

pinetuck

Equipment
kUBOTA L35
Feb 9, 2017
Mobile, aLABAMA
Well bad news, the Kubota dealer said the Hyd pump for the PS and Transmission was bad $2850 to repair. After they replaced the pump they said it was too much pressure and blowed out the GST valve and it would have to be split apart to repair? I told them the pressure relief valve should have prevent over pressuring so what happen. Waiting on a reply and estimate to replace GST valve. I got a bad feeling about this!

boatsalesman

Equipment
Kubota Bx2200 & L35
Nov 13, 2021
Southern New Jersey
Well bad news, the Kubota dealer said the Hyd pump for the PS and Transmission was bad $2850 to repair. After they replaced the pump they said it was too much pressure and blowed out the GST valve and it would have to be split apart to repair? I told them the pressure relief valve should have prevent over pressuring so what happen. Waiting on a reply and estimate to replace GST valve. I got a bad feeling about this!

so what happened?