Kubota L35 Gland nut wrench?

tobyyorkie

Equipment
L35 Kubota
Apr 9, 2021
upatoi ga
What size and where do I find a good Hydraulic cylinder Gland nut wrench. The one listed in Kubota manual #40F068 is one I haven't been able to find anywhere. I haven't tried Kubota dealer. I don't think I could afford one from there anyway. I've bought 2 so far Worthless pins bent and wouldn't turn nut. and didn't buy the least expensive one either.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Every time I needed one I was too busy to run out for tools. I used 1/4" flat stock... 2" or 3" wide. Cut a U shaped notch in the side to clear the rod.... drill 2 holes and insert grade 8 bolts from the backside and weld in place. Threads cut off the bolts of course, and just enough shank sticking out of the flat stock to get a good bite on the gland. I think I made 3 or 4 sizes so far... none have failed me yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Probably the nut is rusted or seized in the barrel. I would try hammering around the barrel where the threads are to see if that helps loosen up the nut. Do not peen the end of the barrel over as this will create the opposite result that you want. If not you may need to apply some heat to the barrel to free it up.

Reactions: 1 user

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
If you can't make one, these adjustable ones are pretty decent, as long as your nut is not seized. the issue with the affordable ones, is they are usually not made with proper materials or they are improperly heat treated, or skip the heat treat process altogether and you end up with soft or brittle pins. Sometimes you have to pay to for good quality. Although, these style do allow the pins to be removed and new better pins put in. I had a set of these (not the ones in link) and replaced the pins with bolts when they finally failed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LGZ93T...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

tobyyorkie

Equipment
L35 Kubota
Apr 9, 2021
upatoi ga
If you can't make one, these adjustable ones are pretty decent, as long as your nut is not seized. the issue with the affordable ones, is they are usually not made with proper materials or they are improperly heat treated, or skip the heat treat process altogether and you end up with soft or brittle pins. Sometimes you have to pay to for good quality. Although, these style do allow the pins to be removed and new better pins put in. I had a set of these (not the ones in link) and replaced the pins with bolts when they finally failed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LGZ93T...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Thanks I did buy one for 46.99 off of Amazon from a seller named Tongbest.The pins bent and popped out of gland nut.The good news is they're supposed to send another one because they don't have replacement pins.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
The OTC version is much better quality but a bit more pricy too. That being said they do break too

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Are there any keepers involved that would need to be removed before the nut unthreads? I recall seeing some comments about them on some cylinders so thought I would ask you to see if you already know you removed them.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I went ghetto and used a pipe wrench. I was careful with it and only evidence I didn’t use the proper tools a couple marks on the nut from the wrenches teeth. It got the job done my tractor is a workhorse not a parade piece

tobyyorkie

Equipment
L35 Kubota
Apr 9, 2021
upatoi ga
I went ghetto and used a pipe wrench. I was careful with it and only evidence I didn’t use the proper tools a couple marks on the nut from the wrenches teeth. It got the job done my tractor is a workhorse not a parade piece
I have rebuilt 6 of the 9 cylinders on my tractor and actually did all with a 36"pipe wrench. I made sure it was as tight and properly positioned as possible. I broke loose with one turn and finished with a gland wrench. Only left as you said a couple of marks. Gland wrench was just never enough to do the first break.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
over the years I bought a bunch of different styles and sizes and brands of gland wrenches. Probably a couple thousand dollars worth.

None of them worked as well as a $20 hammer and a pair of channel locks and maybe a pipe wrench. If it didn't come out with a pipe wrench (rusted), it was to be replaced, if you ever did get it out (and I got a few out), the nut and barrel threads were trashed, and the cyl had to be replaced anyway. Once, I had to pay a machine shop to repair the threads and make a new gland nut because the cylinder was NLA. That one cost the customer over a grand but there wasn't any other choice. All the hydraulic shops said they couldn't do it either. Machine shop was last resort but it worked.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
those pins won't last 2 seconds when trying to free a stuck gland. BTDT.
Of ye of little faith. They did all the cylinders on my backhoe, my FEL, and two others. They are hardened & ground .2505 dowel pins. The wrench will fail before they do.