Kubota L35 Front End Service - Axle and Wheels

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Hi All,
For anyone seeking to replace leaky seals or perform an oil change on the front end, I hope these pictures provide some inspiration.
This tractor was a rust bucket and severely abused. I wanted to try my hand at restoration on something other than a motorcycle and well, it's been a work in progress over the last year. I've learned a lot and as a retired person - I like to keep busy - like really, really busy.

Hopefully the pics will tell the story and show anyone seeking to do this that it is hard work, dirty, and yet very rewarding to see a machine working properly!
I took it one step further and decided to powder coat the majority of components. The axle itself was painted however.
I added a grease fitting to the front axle holder. I don't see why Kubota omitted this.

Anyway here are pics. I can only post 10 per post.

I used an air hammer and needle scaler for rust removal, finishing with abrasive blasting and wire brush.
Paint primer is Rustoleum self-etching primer.
Paint used is Rustoleum Smoke Grey and Powder coat is Hotcoat Machine Grey from Eastwood.
Seals and such are readily obtainable from various sellers on Ebay and Amazon.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Don't try this unless you've got a really good set of circlip pliers.
I purchased a set of Knipex pliers for motorcycle work and they are really good.
I've beaten myself up countless times with cheap inferior tools.

Circlips are used in the front axle cases to retain the bearings and must be removed to remove the bearing (if you so desire). Replacing the seals is much easier with all that removed. Bearings are friction fit and don't require a lot of work to remove. They are not pressed in with the tension you'd expect with say, a shaft bearing in an engine crankcase.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I have a grease fitting at the front axle pivot, was yours possibly broken off at one point?

RustyPitchfork

Equipment
l35
Dec 29, 2022
usa
Old thread but I just wanted to thank you for the detailed photos and discussion. These really helped me out a lot while trying to make heads or tails of the parts manual. You sir are a saint.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Hey @RustyPitchfork Thank you for the note!
I'm glad it helped you out.
I spent 1.5 yrs restoring my l35 and if there's anything else you need help with, I might be able to help.

Reactions: 1 user