Kubota L295 power steering

Mjordan

Equipment
Kubota L295
Sep 7, 2020
Indiana
I just wanted to post a successful installation of power steering on my Kubota L295dt. One reason for this is that I was quite anxious with this project and really didn’t feel I was going into it with all of the knowledge I needed. I ended up going with a Hoye ps cylinder and fittings, this made the job much easier for me and my limited knowledge. If anyone has questions or would like information on how to add ps to these old L models I would be glad to help. Thank you

I just added some pictures. Please excuse my pitiful looking tractor. I bought this a year ago and it did not run and had no reverse. With the help of folks on this site, it runs great and even goes backwards. I hope to do a makeover this fall with some bodywork and paint, but for now getting the mechanics working is my priority. The following steps are what I did to install this addon PS.

1. Acquired a PS cylinder from Hoye. The cylinder came with 2 compression fittings for the oil lines and 2 fitting to screw into the cylinder. The cost was $380 or so after all said and done.

2. I cut the hydraulic line located under the seat and at the side of the transmission. This was the only straight line I could find without going underneath the tractor.
3. The 2 fittings supply by Hoye worked great. I had never used a hydraulic compression fitting before. I used paint remover to remove the paint off the oil line before cutting it. After cutting I cleaned it up with a piece of emery cloth. Put the fittings on and move to the lines. One of the fittings goes on the line coming from the hydraulic pump, the other goes on the line going to the 3 point hydraulics.

4. I purchase a diverter valve from Summit. It was suggested by Hoye. I sure wish I had done some looking and found a smaller valve. I used a parameter of up to 30 gallons per minute. There have to be smaller valves out there, but I was in no position to experiment.

5. The valve has 3 ports, a CL (this goes to the pressure side of the PS cylinder), an EX (this goes to the oil line that I cut which goes directly to the 3 point) and an IN which goes to the cut line closest to the hydraulic pump. I went to a local hydrualics contractor and had the fittings and hoses made up. This was about $350. I am sure it can be done for less, but once again, I did not play around and their experience helped me set it up correctly. The diverter valve was probably $160.

6. Once I got the hoses and fittings, I hooked up and ran the hoses. I ran my hoses to the PS cylinder around the back of the tractor and down the side. This took more hose, but I have exhaust under the tractor and did not want to risk melting something.

7. The last hose went from the PS cylinder to the hydraulic reservoir. This was quite easy and the pics show that.

8. In fabricating the cylinder placement, I removed the drag link and then installed the cylinder on the drive portion of the front end. I then had to find center in the cylinder and the steering straight. The cylinder was easy just by pulling the cylinder out and measuring and dividing by 2. The steering was simply count how many turns all the way from left to right and dividing by 2. My steering had 4 full turns, so I knew 2 was putting the wheels straight. The cylinder I believe was 10 inches or so, so 5 inches was center, or had the wheels straight. The reason I had to do this is to be able to know where to attach the bracket for the cylinder to attach to. The cylinder attaches to the front end, the steering arm, and the frame or bracket of some sort that the steering pushes against.

9. I found where I needed the bracket and simply found a plate of 1/2 steel lying around, cut out holes of which the bolts of my front end loaded will hold and then welded a bolt on top of the plate for the cylinder to fit over and a nut to hold it. I realize this is very primitive, but I will pretty it up when I tear it down for the cosmetic fix up later. For now, I just wanted to know if this thing would work. Once the cylinder was attached to the front steering and the stationary bracket, I then had to cut my drag link to attach to the cylinder. This allows your steering to push and pull the cylinder to assist in steering. My drag link was round and hollow, so I was able to cut it to fit right over the pin on the cylinder to push and pull. The pin on the cylinder that you attach the drag link to has a hole thru it, so I just put a bolt in it and will probably use a hard cotter pin.

So after all of this, it actually works and with no hydraulic leaks. I have tie rods to replace, a steering box to rebuild and multiple other things to do, but steering this thing was ridiculously hard. It was no fun to drive. It know steers easily, you can't steer it with your finger, but I put a steering ball on it and it works great.

Some things particular to my tractor. My FEL works off a hydraulic pump on the front drive shaft, so I did not have to share hydraulic pressure with that. The instructions say that the diverter valve should be set around 4-5 out of 10. I have mine around 8 and the 3 point and steering work. I am sure this is probably a weak hydro pump or something, but for now it works for me.

They Hoye steering was once sold as a kit for Yanmar tractors. The kit is no longer available, but the cylinder and fitting are. A bit help to this guy for sure.

I am sure I have missed some things, but for less than $1000 I have good steering. Roland Jackson runs about $1600 plus which also requires installing and replacing the existing steering column and box. I was not interested in tearing down to get the exact measurements and then putting back together and hoping everything fit. This add on was something anyone can do. And if you need any help I will be glad to assist.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I just wanted to post a successful installation of power steering on my Kubota L295dt. One reason for this is that I was quite anxious with this project and really didn’t feel I was going into it with all of the knowledge I needed. I ended up going with a Hoye ps cylinder and fittings, this made the job much easier for me and my limited knowledge. If anyone has questions or would like information on how to add ps to these old L models I would be glad to help. Thank you
A few photos would be nice to see.

Dave

Smokeless

Equipment
3901/Loader/Rear Blade/Box Blade/LP Mower/Pallet forks IH M,,Cub & sickle mower
Feb 5, 2018
Southern Illinois
Having to contend with Farmall M and 300 for several years (decades) equipped with manual steering and trip buckets, I can appreciate the relief you experience. Well done!!!!!

the old farmalls would have had a remotely robust hydraulic pump, I would have opted for a similar fix. Well Done!!!!!

Bparker

Equipment
Kobota 295DTmexico
Feb 4, 2022
Boone NC

I just added some pictures. Please excuse my pitiful looking tractor. I bought this a year ago and it did not run and had no reverse. With the help of folks on this site, it runs great and even goes backwards. I hope to do a makeover this fall with some bodywork and paint, but for now getting the mechanics working is my priority. The following steps are what I did to install this addon PS.

1. Acquired a PS cylinder from Hoye. The cylinder came with 2 compression fittings for the oil lines and 2 fitting to screw into the cylinder. The cost was $380 or so after all said and done.

2. I cut the hydraulic line located under the seat and at the side of the transmission. This was the only straight line I could find without going underneath the tractor.
3. The 2 fittings supply by Hoye worked great. I had never used a hydraulic compression fitting before. I used paint remover to remove the paint off the oil line before cutting it. After cutting I cleaned it up with a piece of emery cloth. Put the fittings on and move to the lines. One of the fittings goes on the line coming from the hydraulic pump, the other goes on the line going to the 3 point hydraulics.

4. I purchase a diverter valve from Summit. It was suggested by Hoye. I sure wish I had done some looking and found a smaller valve. I used a parameter of up to 30 gallons per minute. There have to be smaller valves out there, but I was in no position to experiment.

5. The valve has 3 ports, a CL (this goes to the pressure side of the PS cylinder), an EX (this goes to the oil line that I cut which goes directly to the 3 point) and an IN which goes to the cut line closest to the hydraulic pump. I went to a local hydrualics contractor and had the fittings and hoses made up. This was about $350. I am sure it can be done for less, but once again, I did not play around and their experience helped me set it up correctly. The diverter valve was probably $160.

6. Once I got the hoses and fittings, I hooked up and ran the hoses. I ran my hoses to the PS cylinder around the back of the tractor and down the side. This took more hose, but I have exhaust under the tractor and did not want to risk melting something.

7. The last hose went from the PS cylinder to the hydraulic reservoir. This was quite easy and the pics show that.

8. In fabricating the cylinder placement, I removed the drag link and then installed the cylinder on the drive portion of the front end. I then had to find center in the cylinder and the steering straight. The cylinder was easy just by pulling the cylinder out and measuring and dividing by 2. The steering was simply count how many turns all the way from left to right and dividing by 2. My steering had 4 full turns, so I knew 2 was putting the wheels straight. The cylinder I believe was 10 inches or so, so 5 inches was center, or had the wheels straight. The reason I had to do this is to be able to know where to attach the bracket for the cylinder to attach to. The cylinder attaches to the front end, the steering arm, and the frame or bracket of some sort that the steering pushes against.

9. I found where I needed the bracket and simply found a plate of 1/2 steel lying around, cut out holes of which the bolts of my front end loaded will hold and then welded a bolt on top of the plate for the cylinder to fit over and a nut to hold it. I realize this is very primitive, but I will pretty it up when I tear it down for the cosmetic fix up later. For now, I just wanted to know if this thing would work. Once the cylinder was attached to the front steering and the stationary bracket, I then had to cut my drag link to attach to the cylinder. This allows your steering to push and pull the cylinder to assist in steering. My drag link was round and hollow, so I was able to cut it to fit right over the pin on the cylinder to push and pull. The pin on the cylinder that you attach the drag link to has a hole thru it, so I just put a bolt in it and will probably use a hard cotter pin.

So after all of this, it actually works and with no hydraulic leaks. I have tie rods to replace, a steering box to rebuild and multiple other things to do, but steering this thing was ridiculously hard. It was no fun to drive. It know steers easily, you can't steer it with your finger, but I put a steering ball on it and it works great.

Some things particular to my tractor. My FEL works off a hydraulic pump on the front drive shaft, so I did not have to share hydraulic pressure with that. The instructions say that the diverter valve should be set around 4-5 out of 10. I have mine around 8 and the 3 point and steering work. I am sure this is probably a weak hydro pump or something, but for now it works for me.

They Hoye steering was once sold as a kit for Yanmar tractors. The kit is no longer available, but the cylinder and fitting are. A bit help to this guy for sure.

I am sure I have missed some things, but for less than $1000 I have good steering. Roland Jackson runs about $1600 plus which also requires installing and replacing the existing steering column and box. I was not interested in tearing down to get the exact measurements and then putting back together and hoping everything fit. This add on was something anyone can do. And if you need any help I will be glad to assist.
Thanks for the information. Could you give me information on the cylinder. I am having a hard time finding one.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Hoye is out of the cylinder and I would like any information on the cylinder so that I might find another source. Thanks
OK Sorry--- Too bad they do not have them anymore. It was a good system.
Power Steering.jpg
I built one for my B7100 using a steering controller from a John Deere 400 and a small hydraulic cylinder. However the JD controllers are very hard to find now also.

Bparker

Equipment
Kobota 295DTmexico
Feb 4, 2022
Boone NC
Is there any way I could get in touch with MJordan and talk to him about my power steering. I now have the power steering cylinder but I would like some more infomation on the installation. thanks

doc harper

Equipment
kubota L245dt
Oct 31, 2021
mancos, colorado
I just posted some photos and a narrative of my project. Thanks Dave, I am sure I will be asking you more questions one of these days as I work on this thing.
I just posted some photos and a narrative of my project. Thanks Dave, I am sure I will be asking you more questions one of these days as I work on this thing.
i have a kubota L245dt and would like to add p/s to it also. did yours work as good as it should. i don't know much about hydraulics but if there's a blue print on the hose routing i may can do it. any updates on your project would be appreciated. doc harper 7Zero16Zero106seven0 cell

Last edited by a moderator:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is there any way I could get in touch with MJordan and talk to him about my power steering. I now have the power steering cylinder but I would like some more infomation on the installation. thanks
Click on his name and start a conversation, he might or might not get an email notice.

Last edited: