Kubota L2500 Black smoke Hydraulic oil low??

mahatmama

Equipment
L2500
Jun 21, 2014
Asheville
Hi, I have an L2500. Yesterday I took the tractor out for some brush-hogging. My gas gauge is finnicky, so unfortunately I misread my gauge and let the gas run out while on an incline.

I've done this before :( So I'd learned somewhat how to bleed the fuel lines. After re-filling, I slightly unscrewed the fuel filter (2 hours old btw) made sure it was full of gas; unscrewed the brass round valve that is right in front of the fuel lines; then found a wrench and began unscrewing the bleeder "valves"(?). I unscrewed them all at once (because that middle one is hard to get to w/my wrench unless the 3rd is out of the way). Tried to turn-over until I got the air out. It started up. I turned it off and tightened the lines down and the brass valve control. I immediately went to start it up, and the idle sounded higher than normal. I put it in gear (PTO was disconnected and on lowest setting), and it began losing power to the point of dying. Turned it off. Tried this 3x, the 3rd time I noticed black smoke and a rougher idle. Tried one more time, and nothing, just startup lights ("oil", etc)

I've had a leak behind my seat, coming out of the square nut that connect to raise the arms above the pto for a month now (only ran it 2 hours during this time). Could the loss of power/black smoke be related to low hydraulic oil?

Thank you in advance.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi, I have an L2500. Yesterday I took the tractor out for some brush-hogging. My gas gauge is finnicky, so unfortunately I misread my gauge and let the gas run out while on an incline.

I've done this before :( So I'd learned somewhat how to bleed the fuel lines. After re-filling, I slightly unscrewed the fuel filter (2 hours old btw) made sure it was full of gas; unscrewed the brass round valve that is right in front of the fuel lines; then found a wrench and began unscrewing the bleeder "valves"(?). I unscrewed them all at once (because that middle one is hard to get to w/my wrench unless the 3rd is out of the way). Tried to turn-over until I got the air out. It started up. I turned it off and tightened the lines down and the brass valve control. I immediately went to start it up, and the idle sounded higher than normal. I put it in gear (PTO was disconnected and on lowest setting), and it began losing power to the point of dying. Turned it off. Tried this 3x, the 3rd time I noticed black smoke and a rougher idle. Tried one more time, and nothing, just startup lights ("oil", etc)

I've had a leak behind my seat, coming out of the square nut that connect to raise the arms above the pto for a month now (only ran it 2 hours during this time). Could the loss of power/black smoke be related to low hydraulic oil?

Thank you in advance.

Not to be picky ....... when you mention GAS - you are really saying diesel..... many people have said gas... and really placed gas into the tank! I know this is not what you are doing.

Sound like you have a weak battery now - charge that.....

you should have a bleeder "screw" that should be cracked open - throw the throttle wide open - this allows more fuel to move through the lines, turn key and let it go for 15 seconds..... then pause for a minute, then do again. (allow starter to cool).

when you have nothing but fuel spitting out of THAT screw - tighten it.....

you might have to loosen each injector as you have tried, but typically the bleed screw will do the job....

most people just dont bleed it LONG enough...... air is air, and sometimes hard to get out!

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Exactly. When I do a filter change or clean the strainer in the removeable bowl, I'll start the engine with the bleed screw open and leave it open for 5 to 10 minutes and then close it. Takes a while to purge all the air, not an instant thing.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Not to beat you up when you are having a bad day but you need to go old school and get a clean stick, like a dowel rod or piece of a broom handle, and dip you fuel tank every day you run the tractor. I did the run short of fuel thing once when I first got the diesel because the gauge goes crazy below half a tank on my NH. So I fill it every time I am done using it and it will not run a full tank dry in less then one day. Also it will prevent condensation in the tank.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 sounds like you bled it wrong, you bleed it at the injectors not the injection pump when you run it out of fuel.
When you open up the lines at the injection pump you risk loosening the injection pumps and then if not torqued down properly it will not run right.
100% quinncidence and totally unrelated that it's blowing black smoke and low on hydraulic fluid.

mahatmama

Equipment
L2500
Jun 21, 2014
Asheville
Not to beat you up when you are having a bad day but you need to go old school and get a clean stick, like a dowel rod or piece of a broom handle, and dip you fuel tank every day you run the tractor. I did the run short of fuel thing once when I first got the diesel because the gauge goes crazy below half a tank on my NH. So I fill it every time I am done using it and it will not run a full tank dry in less then one day. Also it will prevent condensation in the tank.
This is good advice, thank you.

mahatmama

Equipment
L2500
Jun 21, 2014
Asheville
#1 sounds like you bled it wrong, you bleed it at the injectors not the injection pump when you run it out of fuel.
When you open up the lines at the injection pump you risk loosening the injection pumps and then if not torqued down properly it will not run right.
100% quinncidence and totally unrelated that it's blowing black smoke and low on hydraulic fluid.
Wow. Hadn't heard this before, the remote diesel mechanic showed me this trick the last time I did this (yes, I'm learning the hard way...this is the 2nd and last time I hope to run out of fuel). So, in terms of the black smoke is that bad or just a startup issue?

mahatmama

Equipment
L2500
Jun 21, 2014
Asheville
Not to be picky ....... when you mention GAS - you are really saying diesel..... many people have said gas... and really placed gas into the tank! I know this is not what you are doing.

Sound like you have a weak battery now - charge that.....

you should have a bleeder "screw" that should be cracked open - throw the throttle wide open - this allows more fuel to move through the lines, turn key and let it go for 15 seconds..... then pause for a minute, then do again. (allow starter to cool).

when you have nothing but fuel spitting out of THAT screw - tighten it.....

you might have to loosen each injector as you have tried, but typically the bleed screw will do the job....

most people just dont bleed it LONG enough...... air is air, and sometimes hard to get out!
You're absolutely right, I was moving fast...only diesel in this tractor. Thank you for the guidance, I did see that bleeder "screw" and tried it first, but then went straight for the injection lines as that's the hack I learned previously. I'm wondering if now (bc of the black smoke and hydraulic leak) if I've triggered a safety that's not even letting me try to crank, because it's silent now.

mahatmama

Equipment
L2500
Jun 21, 2014
Asheville
Exactly. When I do a filter change or clean the strainer in the removeable bowl, I'll start the engine with the bleed screw open and leave it open for 5 to 10 minutes and then close it. Takes a while to purge all the air, not an instant thing.
5-10 mins! Wow. Ok. Great to know. I just can't get it to crank now. Thinking maybe I triggered a safety?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I agree with sidecar... battery is spanked... recharge that ol girl.. and bleed on