Kubota L225 clutch adjustment

krakenacres

Equipment
L2501, L225
Jul 11, 2021
Parma Twp MI
capnsean.com
I adjusted the clutch fingers per the wsm, now it doesn’t go into gear at all. I have obviously done something wrong. I think I am looking at the wrong part of the assembly. Where do I measure the fiNiger clearance? I’ve attached a picture with an arrow indicating where I measured clearance. Is this the right place to measure clearance? I’m obviously not a mechanic.
0FC44B83-8C0D-4324-9941-66D980D479BD.jpeg

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
What page in the WSM did you get your information from?
The finger height would only be adjusted with the tractor separated between the engine and the clutch housing.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I guess I have never seen that adjustment listed on an assembled tractor. Typically, you adjust the finger height with the clutch assembled and bolted onto the flywheel and adjust the free travel using the linkage. Seems rather bizarre to adjust finger height this way. I have not seen one of these models for 20 years or more, having said that, a couple will probably show up tomorrow. :)

Why if you have the manual with a picture showing measuring between the release bearing and the finger are you measuring between the finger and the clutch cover?

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I guess I have never seen that adjustment listed on an assembled tractor. Typically, you adjust the finger height with the clutch assembled and bolted onto the flywheel and adjust the free travel using the linkage. Seems rather bizarre to adjust finger height this way. I have not seen one of these models for 20 years or more, having said that, a couple will probably show up tomorrow. :)

Why if you have the manual with a picture showing measuring between the release bearing and the finger are you measuring between the finger and the clutch cover?

From what I can gather.... it looks like the manual is showing the procedure to establish the 'clearance' between throw-out bearing and the release fingers on the pressure plate.

An effort to 'square up' the engagement...if you will, so that the fingers are engaged and depressed a near equal amount. This could only be achieved with everything assembled and the bulk of the adjustment would still be via clutch pedal free play.

Reactions: 1 user

krakenacres

Equipment
L2501, L225
Jul 11, 2021
Parma Twp MI
capnsean.com

because I did not know what I was looking at. The diagram is only a partial and I wasn't sure what I was looking at. I am not a mechanic. I can not afford a new tractor and I don't have the money to pay a tractor mechanic to repair my tractor. I am not totally incompetent, I can rebuild a teletype with 5,000+ moving parts (the clutch in a UGC-6K is very different than an automotive hub but serves the same purpose). To me, the diagram was as clear as mud based on my knowledge and experience. This tractor does not have a hydrostatic transmission, it's an old standard manual. You did answer my question as to what I was measuring was wrong and I appreciate that. I am seeking to learn and understand better what I am looking at.
Cheers, thank you again for the feedback.

krakenacres

Equipment
L2501, L225
Jul 11, 2021
Parma Twp MI
capnsean.com
From what I can gather.... it looks like the manual is showing the procedure to establish the 'clearance' between throw-out bearing and the release fingers on the pressure plate.

An effort to 'square up' the engagement...if you will, so that the fingers are engaged and depressed a near equal amount. This could only be achieved with everything assembled and the bulk of the adjustment would still be via clutch pedal free play.
I will take another crack at this, thank you for your feedback. The wsm specifies each finger be within .012 of eachother.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I will take another crack at this, thank you for your feedback. The wsm specifies each finger be within .012 of eachother.
Correct. And its really a 'fine' and probably unnecessary adjustment most of the time.

Basically they want the throw out bearing to not be touching the fingers on the pressure plate (clutch engaged) AND have the throw out bearing contact the fingers roughly 'square' to avoid one finger being engaged and another not when you disengage the clutch. Or fingers being engaged unevenly.

Your clutch is a dry clutch of 'friction' type. You have the flywheel (bolted to the crank) a clutch disc and then a pressure plate. In simple terms when you engage the clutch (let out on the clutch pedal) the pressure plate applies pressure to the clutch disc forcing it against the flywheel. So with that friction coupling... the power is transmitted to the transmission and on to the drive line.

When you depress the clutch, the throw out bearing (which can spin) is pressed against the fingers of the pressure plate....relieving the pressure on the clutch disc (no more friction) and the clutch is said to be disengaged (no power transmitted to the transmission).

Clutch engagment.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Thank you Flintnapper for the info, I greatly appreciate it. I have a greater understanding of what I'm looking at.
Happy to help in any way. We can't learn if we don't ask....and NONE are born knowing all this stuff.

Basically, you just need a small amount of 'clearance' between the throw-out bearing and the fingers on the pressure plate when the clutch is engaged (clutch pedal up and resting). But generally this is achieved just using the free play adjustments with the pedal linkage.

The clutch 'fork' spans the throw-out bearing and the T/O bearings slides on a shaft in the axial direction.

So depressing or releasing the clutch pedal simply moves it (throw out bearing) forward or backwards.

The pressure plate is what applies the pressure to the clutch plate (pressing it against the flywheel).

When the clutch pedal is pushed down, the T/O bearing presses against the fingers of the pressure plate relieving the pressure on the clutch plate and contact with the flywheel (so you don't move).

You have it now. Please don't hesitate to ask questions here, we are all here to learn and share information....and its NOT a contest.

I can assure I am ever the student as well.

Flint.