Kubota L175 Wobbly Front Wheels

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
Hey everyone my L175 has had this issue since I bought it.... would it mean that I have to replace the wheel bearings for it? Or is there some kind of adjustment that I need to do for the wheel itself? The front right is the worst since it bounces around and does not go straight.

I have also greased the tractor last year and it did help I used the Lucas green Xtra HD grease which seems to hold up good, and I dont think it was greased for a long time since some zerks I had to clean up for grease to go in them, after that it turned easily and less resistance .... for the front tie rods I believe I had grease come out of them... so thats a possible issue.

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Jack the front of the tractor up until the tires are off the ground. Using jack stands or blocks of wood make sure the tractor can not fall. Have a helper hold the steering wheel steady. Grab the out side of the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and see if there is slop in the bearings. You might be able to hear it and feel it if it is sloppy. Then try it with your hands at 12 and 6 and check for slop or movement in the wheel bearings. Check both sides. If there is movement then it is time for bearings. Do both sides if one is bad.

Now have your helper gently move the steering wheel back and forth to see if there is movement in the tie rod ends. Replace one or two as needed.

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
Jack the front of the tractor up until the tires are off the ground. Using jack stands or blocks of wood make sure the tractor can not fall. Have a helper hold the steering wheel steady. Grab the out side of the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and see if there is slop in the bearings. You might be able to hear it and feel it if it is sloppy. Then try it with your hands at 12 and 6 and check for slop or movement in the wheel bearings. Check both sides. If there is movement then it is time for bearings. Do both sides if one is bad.

Now have your helper gently move the steering wheel back and forth to see if there is movement in the tie rod ends. Replace one or two as needed.
Ok so if there is play at the 12 and 6 position its bad bearings, and same if it has play in 3 and 9 position as well? Would I just get these bearings from the kubota dealer then?
Also when I move the whole steering wheel do I try and move it up and down basically to make that back and forth motion. Also if theres any movement to the tie rods by doing this does it mean they are bad? The tie rods should have no movement at all when moving it if im going by that logic... it should be interesting when I lift it up tomorrow, so will update with pics :D

Diesel N8

Equipment
Kubota L175, Bush Hog.
Dec 27, 2016
Lincoln, California
Update, I pulled the tractor outside and got it lifted and had one end higher than the other and teyed to check the wheel bearings but it seems like theres no play and the other tire just turns with my force on the wheel .... so it won't stay put.

Are my wheel bearings the real issue for the extreme wobbly front tires? Or is it something else? Thanks.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
Wobbly as in you constantly have to fight to keep it driving straight and or fight it to turn in a consistent circle?
Because that's what mine would do, I'm replacing all tie rods and the steering box, think I'm up to about $600 on this job so far.
I have tie rod part numbers so you don't have to buy any from kubota, that should save you between $100 and $200.