Kubota L175 hydraulic lift

mwood1129

Equipment
Kubota l175
Nov 28, 2021
Usa
I just purchased this L175. I changed all the fluids and the normal things one would on a purchase of an older machine. The hydraulic lift works great when cold . Stops working after ten minutes of using the pto. If you let sit for 10 minutes starts working until the pto is turned on .
anyone got any suggestions.
I replaced the hydraulic screen and fluid .
Thanks
Mike W

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I just purchased this L175. I changed all the fluids and the normal things one would on a purchase of an older machine. The hydraulic lift works great when cold . Stops working after ten minutes of using the pto. If you let sit for 10 minutes starts working until the pto is turned on .
anyone got any suggestions.
I replaced the hydraulic screen and fluid .
Thanks
Mike W
I suspect that when you say the "hydraulic lift", you are referring to the three-point hitch on the rear and not a front-end loader.

The PTO is a strictly mechanical drive assembly of shafts and gears running in the hydraulic oil. It does not utilize any hydraulic pressure, so there is no commonality between the lift and PTO. Does the lift quit working if the tractor is just driven around with the PTO off?

You have a hydraulic issue that is keeping the lift from working such as a suction problem. It is very likely that the pump's suction is being restricted by insufficient fluid supply or by air from a suction leak. depending on how restricted the old screen was, there may still be water or debris in the transaxle case that is being stirred up and plugging the screen. With the engine off, it falls away from the screen letting the oil pass through again.

Try driving it with the PTO off or just let it sit and run revved up for a while and see if the lift quits. Try raising and lowering the lift several times in rapid secession and see what happens.

mwood1129

Equipment
Kubota l175
Nov 28, 2021
Usa
Correct. I’m referring to the 3 pt lift. It works fine until the pto is engaged. Then after 10 minutes of using the pto I can’t lift the mower until I turn of the tractor for 10 or so minutes. I am baffled.

Zoeper

Equipment
L185
Nov 10, 2021
South Africa
Kubota UDT
Could it be a worn out pump/ corroded sleeve of the 3pt hitch/ bad o-ring seal om lift piston?
while oil is cold it still (only just)works, but as it heats up and thins, it leaks through faster than pump can supply, causing it to stop working. Both my pump and sleeve is in really bad shape, yet for brief moments it seems to lift with lots of power leading me to believe the other problems might be the real cause.
Maybe worth investigating further before just replacing pump.
The service manual has a section for fault finding the hydraulic circuit.
Good luck!
I also have a problem (actually quite a few known and some unknown) with my hydraulic system on a L185. One of them I suspect is a valve or bypass that get stuck causing over pressure in the system or no pressure at all. I will take time after the 15th (holidays!) to go through it systematically and start clearing up problems systematically.
My story here

mwood1129

Equipment
Kubota l175
Nov 28, 2021
Usa
Could it be a worn out pump/ corroded sleeve of the 3pt hitch/ bad o-ring seal om lift piston?
while oil is cold it still (only just)works, but as it heats up and thins, it leaks through faster than pump can supply, causing it to stop working. Both my pump and sleeve is in really bad shape, yet for brief moments it seems to lift with lots of power leading me to believe the other problems might be the real cause.
Maybe worth investigating further before just replacing pump.
The service manual has a section for fault finding the hydraulic circuit.
Good luck!
I also have a problem (actually quite a few known and some unknown) with my hydraulic system on a L185. One of them I suspect is a valve or bypass that get stuck causing over pressure in the system or no pressure at all. I will take time after the 15th (holidays!) to go through it systematically and start clearing up problems systematically.
My story here
what was throwing me off was . The pump worked fine until I used the pto to run the mower.
If I wasn’t cutting with the mower the lift worked fine.