Kubota G2160 How to change HST (transmission) oil, filter and clean strainer. (380 hrs) bought new in 2006. 60" mowing deck

Tyke51

Equipment
2006 G2160 tractor w 60" mower deck
Aug 19, 2017
Volo, IL
Can someone point me to a video or instructions on properly changing the HST oil for this tractor? I have 5 qts of Kubota UDT2 on hand and a Kubota filter is coming in the mail. I think I see the drain plug but don't see a strainer.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Can someone point me to a video or instructions on properly changing the HST oil for this tractor? I have 5 qts of Kubota UDT2 on hand and a Kubota filter is coming in the mail. I think I see the drain plug but don't see a strainer.
I did my own. Like you I could not find any video. I followed the shop manual (digital ones are fairly easy to download.). FWIW though EBay is your friend here and I got a pristine full WSM, and owner's guide as well. For great prices. MUCH easier to use than digital PDF downloads. It's not "hard" but is somewhat involved. Getting the tube off is a bit of a headache. I think there are screens on the tubes by each rear wheel as well though the WSM is not really clear on it so I left well enough alone. And just cleaned the main strainer on the large tube. I too used Super UDT2. I don't recall how many quarts I ended up using though. But, I think it was more than 5

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If you've gone this long without an oil change why don't you wait 3 more years and do it on the 20th anniversary of the tractor?

Only 5 quarts of UDT2 oil? Wow

I could only dream about posting videos in 2006, I didn't have the bandwidth to upload large files like videos back then.

Tyke51

Equipment
2006 G2160 tractor w 60" mower deck
Aug 19, 2017
Volo, IL
If you've gone this long without an oil change why don't you wait 3 more years and do it on the 20th anniversary of the tractor?

I could only dream about posting videos in 2006, I didn't have the bandwidth to upload large files like videos back then.
You make a good point. The oil is pretty brown. In my defense I would say i've been distracted by all electrical trouble starting the machine over the years. That was my original post on here. Those damn interlocks. Now I keep it on a trickle charger and it starts (mostly) more reliably.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
You make a good point. The oil is pretty brown. In my defense I would say i've been distracted by all electrical trouble starting the machine over the years. That was my original post on here. Those damn interlocks. Now I keep it on a trickle charger and it starts (mostly) more reliably.
Add a helper relay and get rid of the interlocks.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I did my own. Like you I could not find any video. I followed the shop manual (digital ones are fairly easy to download.). FWIW though EBay is your friend here and I got a pristine full WSM, and owner's guide as well. For great prices. MUCH easier to use than digital PDF downloads. It's not "hard" but is somewhat involved. Getting the tube off is a bit of a headache. I think there are screens on the tubes by each rear wheel as well though the WSM is not really clear on it so I left well enough alone. And just cleaned the main strainer on the large tube. I too used Super UDT2. I don't recall how many quarts I ended up using though. But, I think it was more than 5
Bingo!
A PDF "workshop manual" is a nuisance IMHO,
A REAL manual is so nice to have.
Bought mine on E-Bay as well!

Reactions: 1 users