Kubota Extended Warranty - worth it?

cwl3

Mar 31, 2016
Hickory, NC
Expecting to receive a BX23 this week. Sign-off on financing would occur at delivery. Assuming that at that time will be offered extended warrenty. Does it have to be paid for in cash or can it be rolled into financed amount?

Is it worth it? I***8217;ve seen a *number* of reports online of dissatisfaction with Kubota warrenty in general. Heck, even the Kubota insurance (that Messicks pumps up so throughly) seems to have very mixed reviews.

It seems like most extended warrenties cost a lot and provide nothing. Hoping for insight.

Thanks!

Calvin

Reactions: 1 user

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Re: Kubota Extended Warrenty - worth it?

This is just my opinion. I never think it is worth it. Usually anything that will fail in that short number of years likely won't cost you much more than what you paid for the warranty.
I've had my B for 6 years and 600 hours now and only issue I had was the weld on the loader joystick broke. So I just had it re-welded.

As far as Kubota warranty...I have never had to deal with them, but my dealer is combined John Deere and Kubota and when I went to buy he told me up front that Kubota is way easier to deal with than JD. He said any time there is a Kubota issue they also want to see it so they can figure out how to improve it.

I emailed them pics of the welds on my loader joystick and they got right back to me and said they are having their engineering department look into it.

So yes, on these small tractors I don't worry about warranty.
Now on my big rig that has $13,000 emission system malfunctions.....yes we buy extended warranty, LOL

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Kubota Extended Warrenty - worth it?

I don't recall if the extended warranty was offered to me at purchase, but Kubota did offer it up via mail at the end of the standard warranty period.
I do not pay for extended warranties. They have certainly done the math and are making money on extended warranties.
All that said, I would be more inclined to pay for extending a manufacturers warranty FROM the manufacturer, rather than a fly by night company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

I don't buy extended warranties. Ever.

As already pointed out, they know the failure rates better than anyone in the field and it's just another profit item for them. On the other hand, warranties have some down sides, for example, meeting the expenses of required service items that accompany the warranty can be expensive, troublesome, and unnecessary. But miss one of those and the expenses of that warranty were thrown away.

I think of extended warranties thusly:
A mfr'r offers their product and claim it's the best in the market.
It's sooo good...they are going to offer you a warranty that also the best to prove the faith they have in their own product.

Then they offer the extended warranty.
Question: If their product is so dependable, then why would I need more warranty that that necessary to discover a defective NEW product?

NO, thank you.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri

When I purchased my Kubota I took the financing option as well.
When you do that you have to have the insurance. But there was no mention of any extended warranty. But the factory warranty is quite good. Whether or not you want to extend it, in my opinion, would be decided on the use you have in mind for the tractor. The insurance will cover damages to some extent.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD

When I purchased my Kubota I took the financing option as well.

When you do that you have to have the insurance. But there was no mention of any extended warranty. But the factory warranty is quite good. Whether or not you want to extend it, in my opinion, would be decided on the use you have in mind for the tractor. The insurance will cover damages to some extent.

The Kubota insurance is not required for financing if you can demonstrate that it is otherwise insured (homeowners in my case). From everything I have read (both from end users, and the Kubota insurance description) the insurance is actually very good and reasonably priced.
The standard and extended warranties are totally different in what they cover compared to the insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

Statistically speaking, Your price on the extended warranty will cover the cost of the typical most expensive repair you will ever need. Half the price you pay is usually a commission to the sales person.

Big manufacturers like KUBOTA and car companies have all the stats on every vehicle they make and they err on the side of profitability.

Take that as you will.

My belief is that if there is a problem you are going to find out within the warranty period. If the manufacturer gives you a crappy warranty that is a good indicator IMHO. Buying the extended warranty is just paying for any possible repairs in advance.

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA

If you think the insurance is a extended warranty then yes. My agent told me inland marine policy's can be had to get for only one item.

TexasB2601

Equipment
B2601 LA435 loader, BH70 backhoe, 54in mid mower
May 1, 2020
Sping, Texas

Hi, I have a 2019 B2601 with a 54" quick attach bucket, BH70 backhoe w/12" bucket. and 54" mid mount mower. At approx. 125 hrs. the hydraulic cylinder shaft that works the backhoe bucket snapped in two pieces. about 20 hrs. later the replacement shaft bent neither covered under warranty, keep engine speed at 2000 and no more problems at 235 hrs. Arms for quick connect frt bucket started coming off during use occasionally at under 200 hrs. breaking headlight assembly. took to dealer for pictures to show field rep. for kubota here is response.

KTC Customer Satisfaction <ktc_g.customersatisfaction@kubota.com>
To:craig
Fri, May 1 at 3:33 PM
RE: B2601HSD SN:

Mr.

You recently opened a case with Kubota Customer Satisfaction regarding damage to your B2601. Your case was reviewed by our Kubota Service Representative, and he has found that the damage was due to improper operation of the equipment. Unfortunately, this type of damage is not something that warranty covers.

Regards,

Ruth G.
Kubota Customer Satisfaction

Digging tree stumps with backhoe and cleaning edge of pond, moving firewood and approx. 100 dump truck loads of dirt, moving dirt of 1/2 acre lot.
Kubota seems very good if you leave tractor in garage and look at it, so far approx 230 hrs. on tractor no problems with mower.

Attachments

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ

Hi, I have a 2019 B2601 with a 54" quick attach bucket, BH70 backhoe w/12" bucket. and 54" mid mount mower. At approx. 125 hrs. the hydraulic cylinder shaft that works the backhoe bucket snapped in two pieces. about 20 hrs. later the replacement shaft bent neither covered under warranty, keep engine speed at 2000 and no more problems at 235 hrs. Arms for quick connect frt bucket started coming off during use occasionally at under 200 hrs. breaking headlight assembly. took to dealer for pictures to show field rep. for kubota here is response.
Wow. I've never seen a shaft break in half like that. Did you somehow get the backhoe hooked up on something? I can't imagine it having enough hydraulic power to break that on its own, it looks twisted like it swung hard into something, or slid down a hill and hooked up on something. You've definitely been working that machine hard.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Expecting to receive a BX23 this week. Sign-off on financing would occur at delivery. Assuming that at that time will be offered extended warrenty. Does it have to be paid for in cash or can it be rolled into financed amount?

Is it worth it? I***8217;ve seen a *number* of reports online of dissatisfaction with Kubota warrenty in general. Heck, even the Kubota insurance (that Messicks pumps up so throughly) seems to have very mixed reviews.

It seems like most extended warrenties cost a lot and provide nothing. Hoping for insight.

Thanks!

Calvin
I almost never buy extended warranties, pressure washers being one of the very few exceptions.

My dealer told me that he sells very few Kubota extended warranties.

That said, the KTAC insurance may well be required if you finance, and is considered worth the price by many.

You will receive a offer from Kubota via mail before your warranty expires allowing you to purchase an extended warranty. Something to consider if your tractor turns out to be a lemon.

SDT

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ

I have simplistic views on extended warranties. To me they're a lot like an insurance product - any genuine manufacturing defects should be long addressed, so it's down to whether you're lucky or unlucky, and what the impact of an unexpected bill is on you.

Thoughts that go with that are:
  • Like any insurance, you buy it if the likely cost is one that you couldn't afford if you're unlucky. So if a $5K fix would be a really big bill for you, then $1K a year might be good insurance. This is true even though the manufacturer is making money on it - you're not buying it in the expectation of "getting your money back" - you never get your money back with insurance. What you do is turn a small chance of a really big loss into a certainty of a small loss.
  • If you can withstand setbacks, then don't buy it. Put the money you save by not having it in a bank account, and over a few products and over a few years, you'll end up ahead, even if occasionally you have to pay out on a breakage. This is what I normally do - we don't live our lives at the limit of our bank balance, so we can afford to self insure
  • Luck is a vague concept. As someone once said, "the harder I work, the luckier I seem to get." Yes, you might get unlucky, but I bet a bunch of things covered under extended warranties are on that border between bad luck and abusing the machinery. If you look after your machines well and use them low hours around a residential property, I probably wouldn't get an extended warranty. If you work them hard, put them away wet, let the apprentice drive them etc, then your likely return from a warranty is a bit higher than the average residential owner

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH

They "thought" they had the emissions figured out on the 3350. That nightmare will cost the CONSUMER going forward and Kubota will wash their hands of it the second the 60th month ticks by.

If you have a solid engineered product, the extended warranties are rarely worth it.

My sons friend is on his 3rd chevy transmission on a 6 year old truck and he SWEARS by the extended warranty. I am on my 7th ford truck (currently an F350) and fortunately I have never had a warranty repair done. Several recalls through the years, but never a warranty repair. I do not buy the extended warranties on my trucks.

My opinion on this would be it would depend on the model.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

Wow. I've never seen a shaft break in half like that. Did you somehow get the backhoe hooked up on something? I can't imagine it having enough hydraulic power to break that on its own, it looks twisted like it swung hard into something, or slid down a hill and hooked up on something. You've definitely been working that machine hard.
When I saw the bent loader boom AND the backhoe bucket cylinder break I had to chuckle. Candidate for the Darwin award? OP has issues driving in reverse?

TexasB2601

Equipment
B2601 LA435 loader, BH70 backhoe, 54in mid mower
May 1, 2020
Sping, Texas

Was digging tree stumps and bent the shaft a few hrs. later it broke. Since then when I have been using the backhoe I run the engine at 2000 rpm and have had no other issues with the backhoe during the last 150+ hrs. The wear on the arms for the frt. bucket Kubota rep. stated were from improper operation of the equipment. I have been moving a lot of dirt and several cords of firewood, I still don't know what the improper operation is unless it's because I don't weigh the stuff I put in the 54" bucket, if it picks it up I move it. Dealer stated he had customers that had tractors 3 yrs old that still didn't have 200 hrs. on them. I didn't buy a tractor to sit in the garage and look pretty I wanted something to work with, will probably have to drill holes in the arms for the frt loader where they connect to the quick connect frame when i get time.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ

The wear on the arms for the frt. bucket Kubota rep. stated were from improper operation of the equipment. I have been moving a lot of dirt and several cords of firewood, I still don't know what the improper operation is unless it's because I don't weigh the stuff I put in the 54" bucket, if it picks it up I move it.
I wouldn't have thought it was weight. Looking at the wear you have on those loader joints, it doesn't look like wear up and down, it looks like wear forwards and backwards - like the loader had jammed into something and pulled the boom loose from the pillars. I guess, thinking about the pivot points on the boom, that could sort of happen from excess weight, but again I'd very much doubt that the unit has enough hydraulic power to create that damage from the hydraulics, it'd need some sort of momentum coming to a stop quickly.

Similarly for the backhoe boom. I don't think it has the power to bend a ram simply from hydraulic pressure - you can easily stall the unit (and that's expected operation) and that never bends or breaks the shafts. But what will break things is momentum, so if you take a run up at something then the sudden stop will definitely break stuff.

Using your machinery in a way that creates sudden stops would definitely meet most people's definition of "improper operation."

flogler

Equipment
2017 BX23s
Dec 18, 2019
Debary, FL. USA

Never seen a rod break that way. Almost appeared as though bucket hadn't been greased and pivot pins froze. Even then, it seems you wouldn't have enough hydraulic power to do that kind of damage.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

Was digging tree stumps and bent the shaft a few hrs. later it broke. Since then when I have been using the backhoe I run the engine at 2000 rpm and have had no other issues with the backhoe during the last 150+ hrs. The wear on the arms for the frt. bucket Kubota rep. stated were from improper operation of the equipment. I have been moving a lot of dirt and several cords of firewood, I still don't know what the improper operation is unless it's because I don't weigh the stuff I put in the 54" bucket, if it picks it up I move it. Dealer stated he had customers that had tractors 3 yrs old that still didn't have 200 hrs. on them. I didn't buy a tractor to sit in the garage and look pretty I wanted something to work with, will probably have to drill holes in the arms for the frt loader where they connect to the quick connect frame when i get time.
You need to start taking videos and photos of your work and start posting them here. Start your own thread. Would make some interesting reading. Id like to see where you are drilling holes in your loader frame.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa

KTC Customer Satisfaction <ktc_g.customersatisfaction@kubota.com>
To:craig
Fri, May 1 at 3:33 PM
RE: B2601HSD SN:

Mr.

You recently opened a case with Kubota Customer Satisfaction regarding damage to your B2601. Your case was reviewed by our Kubota Service Representative, and he has found that the damage was due to improper operation of the equipment. Unfortunately, this type of damage is not something that warranty covers.

Regards,

Ruth G.
Kubota Customer Satisfaction

Digging tree stumps with backhoe and cleaning edge of pond, moving firewood and approx. 100 dump truck loads of dirt, moving dirt of 1/2 acre lot.
Kubota seems very good if you leave tractor in garage and look at it, so far approx 230 hrs. on tractor no problems with mower.

I was going to engage in this discussion on extended warranties then I saw this post. Now I'm just baffled. HOW in the world did you manage all this damage in under 200 hours? I would 100% honestly like to know. How do you break a hydraulic cylinder like that?? That would never occur doing the activities you mentioned. You must be really hard on equipment. Perhaps one part could be a lemon and cause a failure, but two massive failures like this, both with the load bearing parts of the tractor? (Back hoe and FEL) suggests you are doing more than you make on. You have to have enough self awarness here to realize this, and not be surprised when Kubota replies as they have. I suspect everyone who reads your post is going to have the same reply. You SNAPPED a cylinder in half on the bucket.....I dont even know how I would do that if I wanted to recreate it...

EDIT: looked at pictures again - noticed in the first picture even your front grill guard is severely mangled in the very left of the picture. Looks like you felled a tree into it. Ive never seen such extensive damage and wear on a tractor of such little hours.

Last edited: