Kubota Concentrated AntiFreeze #70040-0L014 - add Distilled Water or ????

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
I've always used distilled water to flush and then add to the concentrate for a 50/50 mix.........however this morning Mr. Google also mentioned deionized water as a better alternative.

Your thoughts and recommendations, are welcome and appreciated.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Interesting.
I've always used distilled for everything. Curious if anyone has one of these deionizers.
I looked around and found some articles:

Doesn't seem like drinking it is a good idea eh?

1674907641072.png

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm pretty sure there's been 100s or thousands of tractors that ran millions of gallons of 'crick water' for decades long before 'science guys' and Google came along.......

drinking RO or distilled water leads to softer bones and teeth

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I've always used distilled water to flush and then add to the concentrate for a 50/50 mix.........however this morning Mr. Google also mentioned deionized water as a better alternative.

Your thoughts and recommendations, are welcome and appreciated.
I would not go with what Dr. Google recommends. Distilled is the purest form of water. For flushing the system, both are probably equal. Heck, for flushing i just use my tap (filtered and softened) water. However, for mixing the coolant, distilled is the preferred choice for long term use.

Doesn't seem like drinking it is a good idea eh?
Its fine as long as you aren't running it through metal pipes or your water heater. Drinking significant quantities of either distilled or deionized aren't recommended though. The body needs the minerals in regular old water.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
De-ionized water is good if you have a 100% stainless steel cooling system, bad for other metals because of it's corrosive effects. Stick to distilled water.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
We did some work at a couple pharmaceutical plants. One of the things I remember was the damage done to steel and concrete where RO/DI water occasionally dripped. The explanation I got was that it leeched ions from the materials it came in contact with. I wouldn't think distilled water would be bad - but I'm no chemist.

Reactions: 1 user

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Best to use good ol' distilled water. I flush my cooling systems with it, and then use for proper concentration when refilling. If I use a concentrate.
If you look at a jug of prediluted it always indicates it's diluted with distilled water. And actually my own Kubota dealer did not have any of the actual Kubota coolant when I was last there. But he said it's exactly the same as the ones Asian car makers use i.e. Toyota pink or Honda blue. I only drive Toyotas and have pink on hand and he told me it will work just fine. So on last coolant service, I flushed with plain distilled water, emptied completely and refilled with Toyota pink premix coolant.
No issues. I figgered the Kubota dealer should know what they're talking about

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I once worked in the commercial plumbing industry, for a manufacturer's rep. Had to learn a bit about various specialty drains. Many of the specialty drains were available in stainless steel. The standard was type 304, which is pretty good stuff. Much better at resisting corrosion than the stuff that's used for decorative stuff, like automotive grills or the cheaper exhaust systems. (Yes, there's more than one kind used for exhaust systems.)

A few were available in type 316, which is sometimes called, "medical grade". This was specified for use in places like battery rooms (think forklift charging) where they might be exposed to sulfuric acid, or for labs where they might encounter all kinds of nasty corrosives, including.....

Deionized water.

Stick with distilled.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I'm pretty sure there's been 100s or thousands of tractors that ran millions of gallons of 'crick water' for decades long before 'science guys' and Google came along.......

drinking RO or distilled water leads to softer bones and teeth
I have owned many vehicles/machines over my 82 years on this earth, and have never used anything but simple tap water in engine cooling systems.
I do try to use only distilled water in batteries.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I have owned many vehicles/machines over my 82 years on this earth, and have never used anything but simple tap water in engine cooling systems.
I do try to use only distilled water in batteries.
Doesn't make it the best thing to do. Engines have changed A LOT over the years. Especially in re to cooling systems and what goes in them due to changes in materials the engines and their components are made of. Yeah, as a kid I recall my dad needing to remove the "anti freeze" every spring from his 47 Chevy otherwise it would "boil over". Well, guess why....................back then it was methanol which while it did not freeze it boiled over at only 160 deg or so. Of course he then had to put plain eater in it and store the jugs of antifreeze in the garage until fall.
Back then cooling systems were far simpler, had far less demands on them (heck I doubt that 6 cyl had over 7-1 compression).
Now you would not dream of running methanol coolant.
Bottom line just because you got some age on you and you been doing something the same, doesn't make it the "right" or best way

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Doesn't make it the best thing to do. Engines have changed A LOT over the years. Especially in re to cooling systems and what goes in them due to changes in materials the engines and their components are made of. Yeah, as a kid I recall my dad needing to remove the "anti freeze" every spring from his 47 Chevy otherwise it would "boil over". Well, guess why....................back then it was methanol which while it did not freeze it boiled over at only 160 deg or so. Of course he then had to put plain eater in it and store the jugs of antifreeze in the garage until fall.
Back then cooling systems were far simpler, had far less demands on them (heck I doubt that 6 cyl had over 7-1 compression).
Now you would not dream of running methanol coolant.
Bottom line just because you got some age on you and you been doing something the same, doesn't make it the "right" or best way
So now.....
Where do I go to buy distilled water?
There is none available at local stores, or supermarkets, near me!
I have been looking for some since November!

There are 838 Publix supermarket stores here in Florida!
Publix has no distilled water!

Amazon is selling distilled water - 12 gallons for $41.
You are somewhat correct about the age thing!
I ain't payin $3.45 per gallon for distilled water!

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
get a kettle, fill with water, turn on, capture the steam, let it cool and condense, that's distilled water.....
if you have air conditioning, capture the 'condensate'....it's distilled(free of minerals ) water as well..

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
So now.....

I lived in NW Florida for 30yrs. Only used tap water, depending on where you're at you might be okay. Florida has some pretty good water. Here in SE NM we got extremely hard water. We have to use vinegar to keep our faucets clean. I started using distilled here. There is an additive for cooling systems also. I've seen it on shelves but haven't used it.
As far as making your own distilled water, it takes a lot of energy, gas or electric, and a lot of time.
The other option is to use diluted coolant ready to go.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I lived in NW Florida for 30yrs. Only used tap water, depending on where you're at you might be okay. Florida has some pretty good water. Here in SE NM we got extremely hard water. We have to use vinegar to keep our faucets clean. I started using distilled here. There is an additive for cooling systems also. I've seen it on shelves but haven't used it.
As far as making your own distilled water, it takes a lot of energy, gas or electric, and a lot of time.
The other option is to use diluted coolant ready to go.
"Only used tap water, depending on where you're at you might be okay"

My point ......exactly!

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I just buy the pre-mixed 50/50 Prestone coolant and then a jug of concentrate and then I mix and test until I get it to minus 45*C protection. Then no worry's.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
So now.....

The two grocery stores we frequent most (Weis and Giant) both stock distilled water for around $1.20 a gallon. There's decent shelf space alotted for it but supply is a little spotty sometimes. I asked a gal at Weis why the shelf is empty sometimes ad she said people who use CPAP machines sometimes come and stock up, taking large quantities.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The two grocery stores we frequent most (Weis and Giant) both stock distilled water for around $1.20 a gallon. There's decent shelf space alotted for it but supply is a little spotty sometimes. I asked a gal at Weis why the shelf is empty sometimes ad she said people who use CPAP machines sometimes come and stock up, taking large quantities.
I use a CPAP machine, so that is my reason for searching for distilled water.