Kubota BX25D - Backhoe return line/quick connect getting hot

analog

Equipment
bx25d
Sep 2, 2017
Seattle, WA
Today I needed to swap out the backhoe for a tiller and when I was done and needed to reconnect the backhoe, I noticed the quick connect that goes back to the tractor from itself was hot to the touch, so much so that I had to very quickly undo it so I could get the backhoe line back on. Once it was on, and running for a few minutes, the return line from the backhoe got hot too. I smelled it and didn't smell any burned oil smell but it's definitely hot and not something I ever remember when doing this in the past. It was not hot when I went to take the backhoe off initially (even though I had been running it for a little while). I did add some hydraulic fluid today but I'm pretty sure I didn't add too much. I know people say that 90 degree bends like at that point can be a reason for them to get hot but again I never had this problem before that I remember. What should I look at? Thanks for any suggestions!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Today I needed to swap out the backhoe for a tiller and when I was done and needed to reconnect the backhoe, I noticed the quick connect that goes back to the tractor from itself was hot to the touch, so much so that I had to very quickly undo it so I could get the backhoe line back on. Once it was on, and running for a few minutes, the return line from the backhoe got hot too. I smelled it and didn't smell any burned oil smell but it's definitely hot and not something I ever remember when doing this in the past. It was not hot when I went to take the backhoe off initially (even though I had been running it for a little while). I did add some hydraulic fluid today but I'm pretty sure I didn't add too much. I know people say that 90 degree bends like at that point can be a reason for them to get hot but again I never had this problem before that I remember. What should I look at? Thanks for any suggestions!
That does not sound unusual. The coupler is going to get very close to the temperature of the hydraulic oil.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
That indicates a restriction at that point.

I don't know if it's normal or not, though.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Any particular reason why that is the only fitting that's getting hot though? All the rest of them are cool to the touch.
Its the last and smallest one in the continuous flow loop where the oil is the hottest. What others are we comparing it to?

Can you clarify how hot its getting? Just mildly uncomfortable to hold or so hot it will burn you? Any sign of pump loading? How hot to the touch is it? Is this really new behavior or something you just never noticed before?

Dan

analog

Equipment
bx25d
Sep 2, 2017
Seattle, WA
What is pump loading? It's very uncomfortable, if I held it I'm sure I would get a burn, but I would put the temp at maybe 150 degrees if I had to guess.

This is new behavior that I never noticed before when switching out the backhoe, although I can't honestly say that I have taken the backhoe off after running it for a while so I'm not 100% positive it's not always been there. Was hoping someone has a BX25D and could tell me if theirs gets hot too ;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’ve seen here on OTT that the hydraulic system can get to ambient temperature plus 100 degrees F.
I guess a hot fitting doesn’t sound that unusual.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
What is pump loading? It's very uncomfortable, if I held it I'm sure I would get a burn, but I would put the temp at maybe 150 degrees if I had to guess.

This is new behavior that I never noticed before when switching out the backhoe, although I can't honestly say that I have taken the backhoe off after running it for a while so I'm not 100% positive it's not always been there. Was hoping someone has a BX25D and could tell me if theirs gets hot too ;)
See if the 3 point will raise. If it does not, then you have a defective/failed coupler tip on the back hoe disconnects.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Oil temps of 150 are a bit elevated but certainly "in range" for extended operation in hot ambients. Pump loading refers to conditions where the pump is pumping against overly high pressures in the power beyond loop. This is a situation where the temperature is a pretty subjective judgement. Its going to be hot - just a matter of (pardon the pun) degree.

Dan

analog

Equipment
bx25d
Sep 2, 2017
Seattle, WA
Oil temps of 150 are a bit elevated but certainly "in range" for extended operation in hot ambients. Pump loading refers to conditions where the pump is pumping against overly high pressures in the power beyond loop. This is a situation where the temperature is a pretty subjective judgement. Its going to be hot - just a matter of (pardon the pun) degree.

Dan
I'm sorry for my ignorance, but other than an obstruction in the line, what other potential problems would cause high pressures in the system?

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
How hot? Just a suggestion:
It might surprise you how often you use a temp gun if you have one!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm sorry for my ignorance, but other than an obstruction in the line, what other potential problems would cause high pressures in the system?
None that I can think of.

But lifting loads is an obstruction that causes high pressures and heats the oil. Small hoses and couplers like the ones on your tractor are obstructions which introduce pressure drops and increase flow rate which heats the oil. That is the nature of any hydraulic system.

That coupler is the last one in a series of heat producing sources so it is going to get warm or even hot to the touch. Your description seems to indicate it is overly hot but that's subjective and hard to judge without a measurement. If you think its a sign of a real problem invest in that infrared thermometer and put a number on it. The upper limit for hydraulic oil temperature is generally considered to be 180F and ideally well below that.. Or better yet put a pressure gauge on the line entering the coupler to measure the back pressure at that point. That and a measured temperature will tell you exactly what the situation is.

Dan