Kubota BX1860 Front Drive Shaft

BerryFarmer

Equipment
BX1860
Jul 13, 2020
Olympia WA
I was brush hogging with my BX1860 when I heard a loud bang like I hit something. Turned off the brush hog to inspect. It appears that my front drive shaft came off and I ran over it with the brush hog. It will obviously need to be replace as I bent it. My question is; if I do not need to use 4 wheel drive, can I operate the tractor without causing damage? I am just beginning my blueberry harvest and cannot be without a tractor. If I can operate it without damage, I can wait until late next month and get the repair. Otherwise, I will have to rent a tractor as I know the local shop is 3 weeks out. Thanks in advance.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Before you make any plans to operate without the propellor shaft, I would look underneath to see if you have any fluid leakage caused by the prop shaft beating up fore and aft bearings as it came loose from it’s connecting points.
Thinking you’ll need to run it a little to be sure. If it’s leaking without running, all bets are off.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Yes, you can operate the tractor while the shaft is off. It will not hurt anything.