Kubota Build Price vs Dealer List Price

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Where are these mysticle dealers? I will buy a tractor now from them. I would just need one of you all to trailer it to me in VA for some beer and gas, lol.
They are all over. I think you need to widen your search. Btw, my dealer delivers hours from their dealership according to my delivery guy.

OrangePower

Equipment
A cute little rinky dinky 2021 BX23s
Sep 15, 2021
VA
I have looked about an hour away in all directions and they are holding steady at $2-2.5k ABOVE MSRP :( .

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
What labor are they talking about? I’d ask for detail. Are you requesting to have modifications made?
My dealer installed optional additions for only the parts cost, loaded the tires, drove to pick up an implement from another kubota dealer, and delivered(~30mi) everything free and was below kubota web pricing. And of course the obligatory kubota hat.
Extraordinary!

How long ago was that?

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have looked about an hour away in all directions and they are holding steady at $2-2.5k ABOVE MSRP :( .
It's a seller's market.

The stories of free this and that and prices significantly below MSRP are ancient history.

Do not expect things to change for a year or two or three....

SDT

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hello all,

A very new person to the tractor world.

My question:

I used the kubotausa site to build my tractor then I printed out the the quote with the suggested list prices and provided it to the dealer so he could put together some pricing for what I was looking for. I’m much more familiar with the truck purchasing world where the manufacturer gives you the MSRP then a dealer gives you a price based on the MSRP. The manufacturer MSRP matches the dealer MSRP and you work with a variety of dealers to get your final price as far below MSRP as you can. But the MSRP matches.

The kubotausa site gave me a suggested list price but the list price my dealer is starting from is higher. He said: that price doesn‘t include labor.

is this normal or is something going on here?
I have limited experience but I will share it.

When i went looking for a new tractor in June i started with my local dealer 15 miles away. They did the same Kubota MSRP build and then as I watched used a cslcularor to discount it something like 1.8%. That discount was a line item on the quote just below MSRP. They then added the Kubota corporation rebates. No dealer add on costs.

Dealer number 2 is 15 miles the other direction and I have had quotes from them in the past. They are not aggressive bidders. This time it was MSRP less Kubota Corporation rebates. Loaded tires, dealer prep and delivery were no charge items.

Dealer 3 is 50 miles from me. They beat the quote from dealer 1 by about $600 with the same terms.

Dealers 1 and 2 did not have a machine and could not quote a delivery date. Dealer 3 had the machine still in a crate and quoted 10-14 days delivery.

The decision was easy and I took delivery at several rhousand under MSRP. The salesman actually lived in my area and delivered the fully fueled tractor on his way in to work. I also asked him to bring me 5 gallons of SUDT2 and add it to the purchase price. When it arrived it was a no charge item along with the two hats.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Thanks for the replies.

For clarification, it’s a new tractor being ordered, not one that I own that I’m buying implements for.

To simplify my manufacturer MSRP vs dealer MSRP question, let’s assume it’s just the tractor being ordered stock. No implements being ordered, no modifications made at the dealer.

Is it normal for dealer list price to be higher than manufacturer list price?

The dealer is offering their discounted price off their own list price but it pretty much works out to be the same as the manufacturer list price In the end.
Does your manufacture MSRP include any discounts/incentives? Kubota typically includes some discounts with the online pricing.

…Tractors themselves are shipped to the dealership in crates, without implements/accessories and require complete assembly and PDI inspection afterwards.

Mike

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
Extraordinary!

How long ago was that?

SDT
Yesterday

It's a seller's market.

The stories of free this and that and prices significantly below MSRP are ancient history.

Do not expect things to change for a year or two or three....

SDT

Yea, I have a feeling the leeches are out like the fleas in my yard. Both giving me the hives!!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
They are all over. I think you need to widen your search. Btw, my dealer delivers hours from their dealership according to my delivery guy.
So does mine for $100/hr from time driver picks up work order until truck keys are returned to locker.

I'm less than 5 miles from dealer but dealer will not deliver new tractor of any price without charge.

Knowing that I won't pay such nonsense, they try to hide such charges elsewhere in the invoice.

SDT

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
So does mine for $100/hr from time driver picks up work order until truck keys are returned to locker.

I'm less than 5 miles from dealer but dealer will not deliver new tractor of any price without charge.

Knowing that I won't pay such nonsense, they try to hide such charges elsewhere in the invoice.

SDT

I would just drive the tractor home at 2krpm. It will be broken in by then, ready to be abused, lol.

OrangePower

Equipment
Sep 15, 2021
VA
So, does anyone want to tell me what dealers in VA give MSRP or lower? You can PM me. I will go get it if I have to.

Thanks

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Its a strange time and there is flexibility among dealers. I dealt with two dealers that had different pricing and both of those were different, and about 10-15% less, than the Kubota site. The dealer that won my business returned calls, responded to requests and was just a great salesman. The other had a "take it or leave it, and don't get mad if I don't call you back" attitude. In general, I think they are able to sell everything they can get. Keep in mind that you will need to insure the purchase if you finance it and that can be sizeable if you get a premium policy like KTAC. I think over the life of the loan it is close to 10% of the cost of the tractor. Best of success.
I was told that the KTAC policy is $1.39/month per thousand financed.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Its a strange time and there is flexibility among dealers. I dealt with two dealers that had different pricing and both of those were different, and about 10-15% less, than the Kubota site. The dealer that won my business returned calls, responded to requests and was just a great salesman. The other had a "take it or leave it, and don't get mad if I don't call you back" attitude. In general, I think they are able to sell everything they can get. Keep in mind that you will need to insure the purchase if you finance it and that can be sizeable if you get a premium policy like KTAC. I think over the life of the loan it is close to 10% of the cost of the tractor. Best of success.
One way to save money is to buy out of state. I’m going to buy a new tractor in the spring. I got a quote from a local dealer in NM and another from a dealer a few miles over the state line in CO. The were both similar in price, but the CO dealer told me that he cannot charge me sales tax because I’m not a state resident. The savings is enough to buy a new land pride 6’ rotary cutter. Another factor is the local dealer isn’t very helpful and willing to work with me on ordering options.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
One way to save money is to buy out of state. I’m going to buy a new tractor in the spring. I got a quote from a local dealer in NM and another from a dealer a few miles over the state line in CO. The were both similar in price, but the CO dealer told me that he cannot charge me sales tax because I’m not a state resident.
You better read the laws in both states before depending on that savings. In PA they don't care if you are from another planet, sales tax is required. If you do buy in a no sales tax state and bring it into PA, USE tax is to be paid, of course you need to report the transaction. 😉

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
You better read the laws in both states before depending on that savings. In PA they don't care if you are from another planet, sales tax is required. If you do buy in a no sales tax state and bring it into PA, USE tax is to be paid, of course you need to report the transaction. 😉
I was told that tractors are not registered in our state, so there is no reporting.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I was told that tractors are not registered in our state, so there is no reporting.
Like I said, read the laws for the two states involved in the purchase. Just because the vehicle isn't being registered doesn't exempt the transaction from use tax, at least where I live. We can usually get away with avoiding the tax when there is no need to buy a license or title but be careful since the law might require you to self report. Here is the requirements in my state.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Like I said, read the laws for the two states involved in the purchase. Just because the vehicle isn't being registered doesn't exempt the transaction from use tax, at least where I live. We can usually get away with avoiding the tax when there is no need to buy a license or title but be careful since the law might require you to self report. Here is the requirements in my state.
I think most states have those laws, but there’s no way to enforce self reporting for non-businesses.