Kubota B7100 / 6100 Front PTO shaft measurements

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Greetings,

I'm a new B7100 owner and am on a quest to get my B748A snowcaster operational before winter hits. I have every piece I need with the exception of the front PTO shaft. I understand this part has long been discontinued. I'm am trying to get a machine shop to manufacture one to mount to the three-bolt crank pulley. I was wondering if anyone has a spare one laying around they could measure for me. I'm specifically curious to the nose / taper / bearing location. I know the clutch taper matches a York 210 Air compressor, but need to confirm distances and what the shaft looks like when it rests inside the 25MM bearing bore.

Thanks for the help,
Brandon

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Are you talking about this spline adapter for the so-called "front PTO" that is actually the end of the engine crankshaft?

Or something to do with the driveshaft extension for the mid-mount PTO?

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Thanks for the reply Torch. I'm specifically looking for the measurements of this shaft withouth the front bearing housing attached:

Thanks,
Brandon

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
I had to make everything in your picture except the actual clutch to fit a B748B blower to my B4200 tractor. I took a lot of dimensions before I started, I'm sure I still have them. Do you have the clutch, bearing housing, and splined shaft on the end of the crankshaft? The spline is special to Kubota so the shaft must be made to fit.

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Thanks for the reply Jeff. I have the bearing housing and clutch. I do have the splined crank. I was able to buy the crank pulley that has the three bolt holes in it. I figured this could be used for attaching a machined flange/shaft. I'm not going to have splines broached in, that's going to cost as much as I paid for the tractor.

Brandon

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
I bought a longer shaft than needed and cut it down to the correct length. The splined end is welded on. Cut off the weld shortened the shaft and reweld. The end of the shaft is cut down to the ID of the splines and pressed in before the weld. Did all of this on a lath and had zero run out when installed. The shaft I used was from a B8200 or B9200. I can look up the PN if you need it. I have a good friend that owns a machine shop make this for me. We barter labor so I only had the buy the shaft. I'm sure he would make another for pay.

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Hi Jeff,

It actually appears that the front pto shaft for a B8200 (PN# 70080-01446) will work when shortened. It uses the same electro-magnetic clutch, has the same oddball spline count and diameter, and same 1'' shaft diameter. The best part is it's still available for purchase! Time to visit Messicks tomorrow. I appreciate your help very much!

Brandon

NicO

Equipment
Kubota B7200
Jan 29, 2021
BC, Canada
Hi Jeff,

It actually appears that the front pto shaft for a B8200 (PN# 70080-01446) will work when shortened. It uses the same electro-magnetic clutch, has the same oddball spline count and diameter, and same 1'' shaft diameter. The best part is it's still available for purchase! Time to visit Messicks tomorrow. I appreciate your help very much!

Brandon
Thanks for the reply Torch. I'm specifically looking for the measurements of this shaft withouth the front bearing housing attached:

Thanks,
Brandon
hi, I have a B2551 snowblower and B7100 tractor. I’m looking for this whole assembly but it’s all discontinued. Is the clutch a fairly generic part? If I get the longer shaft you guys are talking about somewhere in this thread is the rest possible to come by?
cheers

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
The clutch is the only generic part of that entire assembly. It's an early 1970's Ford AC compressor clutch. The mount that adapts the clutch to the front frame is gong to be difficult to source. I was lucky enough to score one off ebay a few years ago. You could still try to give Messicks a ring. They do have connections to obsolete Kubota parts.

NicO

Equipment
Kubota B7200
Jan 29, 2021
BC, Canada
The clutch is the only generic part of that entire assembly. It's an early 1970's Ford AC compressor clutch. The mount that adapts the clutch to the front frame is gong to be difficult to source. I was lucky enough to score one off ebay a few years ago. You could still try to give Messicks a ring. They do have connections to obsolete Kubota parts.
Ok I’ll give them a call.
what about the shaft? sounds like that will be a headache too. How do you find out the specifications for someone to fabricate/adapt one?
Cheers

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Ok I’ll give them a call.
what about the shaft? sounds like that will be a headache too. How do you find out the specifications for someone to fabricate/adapt one?
Cheers
The shaft length is something your're gonna have to measure up and determine yourself. My particular installation was on a B7100. The B7200 has a longer front frame so you won't have to cut the shaft as much as I did. Also, make sure your crank pulley is splined. I just looked at my B7200 and it is not. It has two threaded holes where one appears to bolt up. But this spline adapter is probably another obsolete part.

When I upgraded from a B7100 to B7200, I ditched this setup. The front mount, belt driven, single stage blower is not the ideal setup. The belt wore out too quick and slipped to much. I went the 3-point rear mount pto blower route. I just got done blowing about 14'' of heavy wet white snow and it preformed flawlessly.

Attachments

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
I just googled your snowblower and it's different from the one I had. Yours appears to be a two stage designed for either rear-mount or front mount. However if it's front mount, you will need a mid-pto to power it. The setup above with the clutch is only designed for use with single-stage "snowcasters". If your tractor has a hydrostatic transmission, the the mid-pto was an option. If it's gear drive, then you are out of luck and will need to mount it to the rear.

NicO

Equipment
Kubota B7200
Jan 29, 2021
BC, Canada
I just googled your snowblower and it's different from the one I had. Yours appears to be a two stage designed for either rear-mount or front mount. However if it's front mount, you will need a mid-pto to power it. The setup above with the clutch is only designed for use with single-stage "snowcasters". If your tractor has a hydrostatic transmission, the the mid-pto was an option. If it's gear drive, then you are out of luck and will need to mount it to the rear.
As far as I can tell, the setup that the previous owner had on this was a front mounted PTO clutch and belt straight off the end of the crank shaft, there is a splined end adapter still in place.
Sorry I mistyped my tractor when I signed up to the group and I can’t figure out how to edit it, I have a B7100. Like you said in your post before this one, I’d actually rather have it on the rear, in order to do this I need to figure out some other bits...
I need to adapt an A frame for the blower to attach to the 3point hitch.
The top brace for this that attaches to the blower next to the chute and as far as I can tell it not centred so it must have a bit of a kink.
I also don’t have a PTO shaft. I haven’t yet taken off the ’chain reduction drive’ so not exactly sure what sort of an end I need to attach to the blower, on Massicks it says that it’s a keyed yoke...

016000 - P.T.O. DRIVE SHAFT - REAR MOUNT

The whole PTO shaft from them is $500, seems very expensive, is this a specialty kubota part or will I be able to make an adapted generic one work?
perhaps this is an option...

just need to source an appropriate PTO shaft, are they pretty standard, like Category 1 PTO shaft??

(I’m new to this tractor game...can you tell??).

cheers

Last edited:

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
just need to source an appropriate PTO shaft, are they pretty standard, like Category 1 PTO shaft??

(I’m new to this tractor game...can you tell??).

cheers
Yes if you are converting to a rear mount a standard pto shaft will work. Make sure the end that fits on the snow blower is correct for the diameter of the shaft and the correct keyway width. Also make sure it is of the correct length. Longer is Ok you can shorten it (most shafts need to be cut for exact fit). If you purchase one that is to short it will not work.

NicO

Equipment
Kubota B7200
Jan 29, 2021
BC, Canada
Yes if you are converting to a rear mount a standard pto shaft will work. Make sure the end that fits on the snow blower is correct for the diameter of the shaft and the correct keyway width. Also make sure it is of the correct length. Longer is Ok you can shorten it (most shafts need to be cut for exact fit). If you purchase one that is to short it will not work.
Great info! Thanks very much!

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
If it's a keyed yoke, you're going to need to know what size U-Joint it uses. There are dozen's of PTO u-joint sizes out there. So I'd purchase the yoke first, figure out the joint type, the purchase the driveshaft to match. Most likely you'll need to swap out one of the ends for the kubota yoke.

At some point, you may realize it's just easier and cheaper to sell this blower and purchase one designed for 3-point mounting. Kubota parts (especially older and obsolete ones) are extremely expensive. That 48'' 3-point Meteor in my picture I scored of Craigslist for $1,000. There are deals to be had out there........

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
If it's a keyed yoke, you're going to need to know what size U-Joint it uses. There are dozen's of PTO u-joint sizes out there. So I'd purchase the yoke first, figure out the joint type, the purchase the driveshaft to match. Most likely you'll need to swap out one of the ends for the kubota yoke.
Once he measures the correct shaft diameter and key size he can purchase a complete pto shaft much cheaper than getting individual parts.