Kubota B6000 Restoration

flangefrog

Equipment
Kubota B6000
Nov 29, 2021
Auckland, New Zealand
It's been a while. I've still been active, but mostly prepping and painting parts and doing a bit of disassembly here and there.

Nick, I think it will still be some time before I assemble it. The prepping of parts for paint is taking ages and I also need to do some welding and repairs on a few parts. I need to find the right seals and o-rings for some parts too. I'll definitely make a video of it once it's up and running.

The bearings all seem ok, maybe not perfect but some of the bigger once would probably cost a bit to replace.

I'd prefer to take everything apart if I can so I can clean it and stop it rusting further and make sure it's able to be taken apart in the future.

The paint stripper does have dichloromethane (referred to as Methylene chloride in the SDS). I also bought a brush on gel type paint stripper that includes it. I figure the toxicity should not be too much of an issue if using outside and only very irregularly. It doesn't seem like paint stripper alone is enough to clean the parts of paint, but it makes the second step of wire brushing easier.

I think anything that converts mechanical energy into electricity can be called a generator. On any motor or generator, the stator is always stationary and the rotor always rotates (get it?). The armature windings that produce the power could be either the rotor or stator. An alternator is a specific type of generator that produces AC, while a dynamo produces DC. And a magneto is an alternator with permanent magnets while some others will use a field winding instead. So this one is a generator, more specifically an alternator, and even more specifically a magneto. On this specific magneto, the armature is stationary so it is the stator, while the field magnets rotate so they are the rotor.

Yep, I think that's correct re using less of the charge capacity most of the time. I guess it was more reliable using a simpler solid state system rather than a regulator which were mostly mechanical in those days.

I could add a bigger alternator but I don't think it's really necessary. Using a regulator with the magneto should give a higher charge current if needed and I will be installing LED lighting so it won't use a lot of power.

Soda blasting looks good. I don't really have the money to either get them soda/sand blasted professionally or buy the equipment at this stage though. I've mostly completed preparing the hardest part by hand with wire brushes on an angle grinder, drill and dremel. It's the aluminium diff cover (with hydraulic cylinder). I definitely wouldn't do this manually again though, it is extremely tedious work.

I've got both tubes out of the front wheels and they do seem to hold a bit of air but slowly leak. They might be fixable. The rear wheels actually seem like they're in worse shape than I thought. The steel has rusted very thin in places, so I'm not sure it's actually a good idea to take the tyres off as I might damage the rim too much. I may just paint those with the tyres on for now. I would like to look at upgrading the rims/tyres in the future.

Thanks for the tip Clementine, I may try that sometime.

I've decided to strip most the parts back down to bare metal.
20211222_191004_HDR.jpg

For aluminium parts, I've been using White Knight SLS Etch Primer, two coats of White Knight Squirts Metallic Charcoal Gloss, and one coat of Rust-Oleum Clear Gloss 2X Ultra Cover.
20211223_162710_HDR.jpg

I tried the charcoal gloss acrylic over an epoxy enamel on one part, but it ruined the epoxy in the same way as paint stripper does. So for steel parts I've been using exactly the same as above, but with Rust-Oleum Black Flat 2X Ultra Cover Primer.
20211223_182055_HDR.jpg

For steel parts that aren't usually visible or might be scratched easily I'm using CRC Zinc It, Black Zinc and then Clear Zinc.

I've been using the Rust-Oleum clear coat on the proprietary bolts/nuts and trying to buy new hardware for everything else.

Here's the full procedure of prepping and painting the trans cover which also included disassembly and reassembly with new o-rings and split pins:
20211224_110904_HDR.jpg 20211224_140657_HDR.jpg 20211224_142630_HDR.jpg 20211224_194750_HDR.jpg

And for the underside:
20211224_102923_HDR.jpg 20211224_110920_HDR.jpg 20220101_172618_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

flangefrog

Equipment
Kubota B6000
Nov 29, 2021
Auckland, New Zealand
The finished trans cover:
20220117_003327.jpg

I bought a decal sticker pack off eBay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/324348120712?var=513899544929
20211225_172130_HDR.jpg 20220117_004804_HDR.jpg

The hydraulic cylinder cap. I've been putting a light spray of CRC Zinc It on any steel flange faces.
20211226_115352_HDR.jpg 20211226_115303_HDR.jpg 20211226_115254_HDR.jpg

I've used a bit of car body filler (bondo type stuff) to fill in rust pits. It seems to be exactly the same as the builders bog I've used before, just cheaper.
20211227_175413_HDR.jpg

My cupboards are starting to fill up with cleaned and painted parts:
20220117_002942_HDR.jpg 20220117_002923_HDR.jpg 20220117_002859_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

flangefrog

Equipment
Kubota B6000
Nov 29, 2021
Auckland, New Zealand
The o-ring on the hydraulic cylinder is in very bad shape. Waitemata Hydraulics didn't have one big enough so I might have to get the genuine replacement part.
20211225_163619_HDR.jpg

I contacted the local Kubota dealer before christmas and asked for price and availability for a long list of parts. I haven't heard back yet.

The painted brake covers and actuating arms:
20220104_124733_HDR.jpg

So my dad did buy me a welder for christmas. It's a pretty sweet present! It does gas and gasless MIG, stick and lift TIG. The small disposable cylinder of argon didn't last long at all when doing TIG and the gasless MIG doesn't seem that great for thin stuff, so I really need some argon or argoshield to continue using it. There's a big cylinder of argoshield on the farm but I'm still not sure if I can use it yet.
20211229_191642_HDR.jpg

The rear axle oil seals can be taken out of the diff side covers by gently prying them out with a screwdriver. They say NOK TCFY 50 68 14.3 1.2.
20220112_165620_HDR.jpg 20220112_165731_HDR.jpg

I ended up splitting the diff and trans.

This is the front of the diff. The shift fork and 28T gear are the ones driven by the mystery lever. I haven't yet found it in the parts book, but there is a thin rod extending from the diff below the shift fork that prevents the gear from shifting into the second position (not visible in photo). The rod is visible running through the diff case on the photo after I removed the diff gear on post #37.
20220113_140533_HDR.jpg

These parts are mentioned in step 10 of the diff/trans assembly in the service manual.
Screenshot from 2022-01-17 01-15-06.png

These next photos show the trans progressively without the 28T gear, with the 28T gear, and then with the spiral bevel gear pinion.
20220113_140723_HDR.jpg 20220113_140827_HDR.jpg 20220113_141201_HDR.jpg

Here is my interpretation of the mystery lever and what it does. I haven't actually tested it yet so I could be wrong.

So usually, the power comes from the input shaft, goes through the PTO speed selector and into the third shaft. The third shaft outputs to the small middle "PTO" at the front of the trans. The 28T gear usually sits halfway between the third and fifth shafts, and transmits the power with the splines on the inside. The outer teeth of the 28T gear are not actually engaged with anything. The fifth shaft is the rear PTO.

If the small rod is removed, the 28T gear can be moved into second position. This disconnects the fifth shaft from the third shaft. Now the fifth shaft (rear PTO) gets its power from a gear on the spiral bevel gear shaft (output to the differential gear) by using the outer teeth of the 28T gear. So the rear PTO is perfectly in sync with the rear wheels. It will be in neutral when the main gear (for the wheels) is in neutral and the speed will change based on the main gear selection, even going in reverse when that gear is selected. The PTO speed change lever will only affect the middle PTO which will now be independent from the rear one.

I'm not really sure when you'd use this. I'm guessing it was only for a specific implement sold at the time of purchase so the extra lever could be installed and allowed to work.

Last edited:

flangefrog

Equipment
Kubota B6000
Nov 29, 2021
Auckland, New Zealand
I've moved most of the important parts inside my home, with a few still out in my shed. It's mostly the bigger stuff or old hardware I'll replace still sitting outside.
20220116_125914_HDR.jpg 20220116_221509_HDR.jpg

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Hey Flange-
Great to hear from you again!
The cold (27 deg F) has been upon us and has stalled my work on my tractor until temps get above 50 deg F. I can't paint and certainly don't want to spend a lot of time in the unheated barn!
I am in process of Replacing bushings in the FEL and Bhoe controls because they are so wobbly. And of course while I'm in there, I might as well paint (which requires prep). I've powercoated all of the control parts and they look pretty good. I'll do a write-up once I can complete.
Anyway NC weather changes all the time and hopefully this cold won't last very long. It was 50 deg F last week!

Congratulations on the welder. I looked it up and watched a couple of videos on it. Looks like it's a very nice machine. I am also looking at getting a better one than I have. A multiprocess welder is a nice thing to have - the more I read and watch videos, the more I realize the many choices! I am likely going to get a TIG / Stick welder with AC-DC so I can also weld aluminum. The stick mode will be good for larger parts and outside work. Gas and gasless are good. My old crappy MIG welder only used flux-cored wire and it will be good to have a choice.

I know. Prepping all that you're doing seems endless and not very rewarding until that paint dries. Then it looks great. So far the stuff you've painted looks amazing! Getting rid of the rust, crud and old junk is a ton of work. Even the simplest things like my recent hydraulic control work were a giant pain. Blasting makes the job easier so if you can get even a minimal setup (compressor/cheap sprayer) you'll be ahead of the game. I use something like THIS for blasting either soda or coal dust outside. Inside I have a small blasting cabinet for use with coal dust. Some people take it a step futher and use a cabinet with water and blast media mixed in a slurry. Certainly less dusty and something I may investigate.

Bondo filler is great for smoothing out pitted areas. I've used both Bondo and JBWeld depending upon what I was trying to do and strength required. In the end, you've got a near perfect finish after paint not possible otherwise.
I had to laugh at your parts everywhere. At the height of my teardown, I filled up my shop with parts!

As far as the mystery lever goes, are you saying then that:
-- Position 1 of the lever makes the rear PTO turn at same rate as the rear wheels AND that the front PTO runs at a different speed from the rear PTO based upon the PTO speed selected?
-- Position 2 of the lever would make the front and rear PTO run at the same speed based upon the PTO selection?

Curious what you find out. Keep going - anxious to see the build!

flangefrog

Equipment
Kubota B6000
Nov 29, 2021
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm back!

I did a little more paint/prep since I last posted, but there were several things that held me up, including money, weather (winter), obtaining certain parts, and disassembling the trans and getting it prepped, so the project has been mostly sitting dormant. I'm still not yet ready to fully get back into this project but I might start doing a bit of work on it.

In the meantime I have done a lot of tig welding (and some tig brazing with silicone bronze) and obtained some more tools and experience. I built a tallbike which now serves as my main transport and started on another custom bike.

20220506_170022_HDR (4).jpg 20220920_150209_HDR.jpg 20220812_171556_HDR (1).jpg

I found the mower that went with this tractor. It looks salvageable.
20220207_204731.jpg 20220207_204744.jpg

I finally got a reply from the NZ Kubota dealer after almost a year so hopefully I can buy some parts through them. Most other places are based in the US and either won't ship to NZ (Messicks say they can't cause of a dealer agreement) or have extremely expensive shipping. TracPartz ships to NZ for a reasonable cost but they only have a few parts available.

The main thing holding me up with the trans was getting the front wheel drive universal joint off the shaft, and removing the shift levers.

I'd already tried using some small three jaw gear pullers and borrowing a two jaw one. All of them just slipped off or broke. I also used lots of penetrating oil and tried heating with a heat gun. I went to a few local places several days ago and most said they couldn't help, but one place tried with a gear puller and impact wrench along with a heat gun. It didn't help, but I bought my own two jaw gear puller and using the same technique with the impact wrench (which I think is great) it came off first try.

I managed to get the two levers off by just using CRC and knocking them around with a hammer until I could pull them off. The collar for the mystery lever was harder. A gear puller wouldn't fit but possibly a small bearing splitter could have been used. I ended up tig welding a rod to it and then I was able to rotate it off like the others. I think the heat from the welding helped a lot as it got much harder once it cooled down and I had to heat it up again.

The ball bearing was stuck in the 4WD lever. I managed to get it out by first heating the lever as much as I could with a heat gun, spraying some CRC and then driving a pick around the edges of the ball with a hammer to dislodge it.
IMG_13-10-2022_20-07-17_8.3.252.jpg IMG_13-10-2022_20-08-19_8.3.252.jpg

I removed the shaft for the top shift fork by threading a nut onto the end and gently levering it out with some small blows on a hammer.
IMG_11-10-2022_15-33-19_8.3.252.jpg

flangefrog

Equipment
Kubota B6000
Nov 29, 2021
Auckland, New Zealand
A couple of photos just before I started disassembly:
IMG_11-10-2022_15-28-57_8.3.252.jpg IMG_11-10-2022_15-29-21_8.3.252.jpg

The service manual could be a bit clearer with the trans disassembly instructions. I managed to get all the shafts out but there were a few snap rings that needed to be removed from the middle of some shafts, not just the ones retaining the bearings at the ends. I removed the reverse shaft from the rear.

From left to right: 1st shaft, 2nd shaft, 3rd shaft, reverse shaft.
IMG_11-10-2022_16-35-56_8.3.252.jpg IMG_11-10-2022_16-35-49_8.3.252.jpg

Some photos after waterblasting the trans
IMG_12-10-2022_11-44-11_8.3.252.jpg IMG_12-10-2022_11-43-47_8.3.252.jpg IMG_12-10-2022_11-43-37_8.3.252.jpg

And I'd already cleaned the diff
IMG_12-10-2022_11-43-09_8.3.252.jpg IMG_12-10-2022_11-42-52_8.3.252.jpg

I sent off a few quote requests for cleaning up these two items to some local businesses. Only one got back to me, S2S Vapour Blasting. They said they could use a dip stripper bath for $30 and then vapour blast for $130/hr for a total of around $200.
IMG_12-10-2022_11-44-58_8.3.252.jpg

I bought a basic gravity fed sand/soda blast gun today. I've only tried soda blasting and it does seem to remove paint, but it uses up the 600ml hopper extremely fast and the soda doesn't seem to do anything to rust. Haven't tried it on aluminium yet. I'm going to try buying some blasting garnet soon. And a better blasting gun (with large external hopper or siphon feed) or a sand blast cabinet might be a good investment.

I haven't decided yet whether it's worth getting some parts stripped and vapour blasted or if I can clean them myself.

As far as the mystery lever goes, are you saying then that:
-- Position 1 of the lever makes the rear PTO turn at same rate as the rear wheels AND that the front PTO runs at a different speed from the rear PTO based upon the PTO speed selected?
-- Position 2 of the lever would make the front and rear PTO run at the same speed based upon the PTO selection?
Yes, if you replace "front PTO" with "centre PTO". My model doesn't have an actual front PTO. And I found there are a few other threads on here that mention the centre PTO, it seems to only be on some models and the consensus seems to be that it was for a small mid mount mower.

Last edited:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
A couple of photos just before I started disassembly:
View attachment 88707 View attachment 88706

The service manual could be a bit clearer with the trans disassembly instructions. I managed to get all the shafts out but there were a few snap rings that needed to be removed from the middle of some shafts, not just the ones retaining the bearings at the ends. I removed the reverse shaft from the rear.

From left to right: 1st shaft, 2nd shaft, 3rd shaft, reverse shaft.
View attachment 88702 View attachment 88703

Some photos after waterblasting the trans
View attachment 88709 View attachment 88710 View attachment 88711

And I'd already cleaned the diff
View attachment 88712 View attachment 88713

I sent off a few quote requests for cleaning up these two items to some local businesses. Only one got back to me, S2S Vapour Blasting. They said they could use a dip stripper bath for $30 and then vapour blast for $130/hr for a total of around $200.
View attachment 88708

I bought a basic gravity fed sand/soda blast gun today. I've only tried soda blasting and it does seem to remove paint, but it uses up the 600ml hopper extremely fast and the soda doesn't seem to do anything to rust. Haven't tried it on aluminium yet. I'm going to try buying some blasting garnet soon. And a better blasting gun (with large external hopper or siphon feed) or a sand blast cabinet might be a good investment.

I haven't decided yet whether it's worth getting some parts stripped and vapour blasted or if I can clean them myself.

Yes, if you replace "front PTO" with "centre PTO". My model doesn't have an actual front PTO. And I found there are a few other threads on here that mention the centre PTO, it seems to only be on some models and the consensus seems to be that it was for a small mid mount mower.
If you're looking for a cheaper source of "soda media" for blasting purposes....check this thread. It really won't cut through rust on steel/iron but for cleaning/degreasing softer metals like aluminum and pot metals without damage it works very well. And the price is much more reasonable than labeled "soda blast media". But you do need to have a feed store/vetrinary supply nearby that handles the bulk soda bags. Works great in the little hand held blasters for cleaning nooks and crannys.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
@flangefrog it's great to hear from you again!
I've finished my restoration last week and was wondering about yours. So, glad you posted again.

@bird dogger I've used soda a lot for aluminum and pot metals. Totally agree it really doesn't work well removing rust from ferrous metals. Thank you for this idea. Soda can get expensive if there's a big job.

Nice job on the bicycles. I never heard of a tall bike so I had to look it up. I guess I need to get out more!
I wish I could say my welding has improved tremendously, but at least I don't blow thru metal anymore!

Sometimes it's just better to pay someone to do the work. For example, I had to have some parts blasted because they were large (ROPS, seat base, etc) I couldn't get the old paint off and I was wasting a lot of time with chemicals and I needed a lot more compressor power. Ouch it hurts, but it's a tradeoff - sore body vs. having it ready for paint!

Like you, I learned a lot of tricks to remove frozen parts like nuts and bolts and that ball detent you had. Frustrating isn't it? I was surprised sometimes how one can get very involved in something like a stuck or broken bolt and spend hours on the R&R. But it's better than destroying whatever you're working on being in a hurry eh?

Sometimes, I did have to resort to "violence" and cut the darn thing apart with an angle grinder cause it was too far gone. I either made a replacement or got lucky and found a used one at a salvage yard. I also have many cans of PB Blaster penetrant!

I also invested in either OEM bolts or rust preventative coated fasteners for the reassembly. I thought I could blast some of the lesser common fasteners, but all I did was wind up cleaning off the coating as well as the rust and the darn things rusted shortly after being installed. Again, a waste of time having to do things twice!

For kicks, I'm going to try some of the DIY coating processes like anodizing or zinc coating just to see if it's worth it and really works.

Post when you can, I look forward to see your beast running again.

Mikeschaller

Equipment
B6000
Nov 18, 2023
Ontario
I just happened upon this thread; I have 2 B6000's, a DT and an E. There is no center PTO. The mower deck is driven by a mule drive/electric clutch that is driven by a shaft out the front of the motor. The electric clutch is a US-made item and the mower deck was made by Woods-also USA. Tracpartz in Netherlands sells a PTO reverser, and I just found out today that the oil bath filter bowl is still available from Kubota, so I will be buying 2 (I need one and will keep a spare for tractor #2). You will find lots of conversations about the B6000's being "Grey Market" and not supported by Kubota dealers, but I am pretty sure that is just USA. I have no problem ordering parts in Canada and there are a zillion B6000's in Europe and Asia. I am hoping that by this time, you own this tractor and are not at risk of someone saying "Thanks for all your work, it looks great and I will use it now..."
Sorry to jump in on this. Where in Canada are you finding parts for your grey market B6000? I'm not too far from Ottawa and the Kubota dealer had nothing. Do you have a website for Canada or Europe/Asia?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Sorry to jump in on this. Where in Canada are you finding parts for your grey market B6000? I'm not too far from Ottawa and the Kubota dealer had nothing. Do you have a website for Canada or Europe/Asia?
The post that you are responding to, ......from "edinottawa" is two years old.
Seems like Ed may have not been back here on OTT since then!