Kubota b21 no glow plug light no starting

Serge

Equipment
Kubota b21
Sep 5, 2020
Canada
Yesterday I used my kubota whithout any problem. Next day I tried to start and the glow plug light doesn’t come on and I press the clutch to get it started and nothing
I have tried to jump directly to the starter and only the bendix is running

you folks could help me . It seems the power doesn’t get to the ignition key. All fuses are fine. The red wire is connected to the starter pole . I have check the glow plug relay it is ok. The ignition key module is ok

help

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Check your safety switches are working correctly.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Yesterday I used my kubota whithout any problem. Next day I tried to start and the glow plug light doesn’t come on and I press the clutch to get it started and nothing
I have tried to jump directly to the starter and only the bendix is running

you folks could help me . It seems the power doesn’t get to the ignition key. All fuses are fine. The red wire is connected to the starter pole . I have check the glow plug relay it is ok. The ignition key module is ok

help
It sounds like you are not jumping the starter correctly. I suspect you are jumping the two large terminals which will only spin the starter.

Look at this image and try again. Remember this is a dangerous procedure and someone should be in the seat with the brakes applied as the machine can start and run-a-way or run over you.

Starter jump.jpg

I will look up the wiring diagram re safety switched in a while

Dave

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
According to Tractordata the B21 was built from 2001-2007 and at that time there were safety switches added to tractors. My 05 had a PTO, a seat switch, and a hydro neutral switch.

Serge

Equipment
Kubota b21
Sep 5, 2020
Canada
It sounds like you are not jumping the starter correctly. I suspect you are jumping the two large terminals which will only spin the starter.

Look at this image and try again. Remember this is a dangerous procedure and someone should be in the seat with the brakes applied as the machine can start and run-a-way or run over you.

View attachment 48053
I will look up the wiring diagram re safety switched in a while

Dave

Serge

Equipment
Kubota b21
Sep 5, 2020
Canada
Thank s for the info I first taught that could be a link between my main problem and the starter . One less problem to solve

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I have looked through the B21 WSM that I have.

The troubleshooting section for No start and no glow plug indicator has one common element:

Blown 50 amp slow blow fuse.

forum B21 start.jpg

There are at least 3 safety switches depending upon your machines serial number. see below.

forum B21 safety.jpg

None of these safety switches would prevent the glow indicator from coming on.

My suspects are the slow blow fuse (or fusible link) and the key switch.

Dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
The slow blow fuse will be close to where the battery cable attached to the starter

It is much larger than the other fuses.

forum B21 slow blow.jpg

forum B21 slow blow location.jpg

Dave

Serge

Equipment
Kubota b21
Sep 5, 2020
Canada
I looked around and I didn’t see anything like that may be model 1997 wasn’t equipped with that kind of safety thank s anyway

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I looked around and I didn’t see anything like that may be model 1997 wasn’t equipped with that kind of safety thank s anyway
At the starter there will be a large red wire coming from the same terminal the battery cable connects to.

This is the only power supply for the tractors many circuits.

If not a slow blow fuse then a fusible link.

In my old files I have this fusible link photo marked as for a B21.

There has to be some protection for this circuit

Dave

B21 fusible link.jpg

Serge

Equipment
Kubota b21
Sep 5, 2020
Canada
At the starter there will be a large red wire coming from the same terminal the battery cable connects to.

This is the only power supply for the tractors many circuits.

If not a slow blow fuse then a fusible link.

In my old files I have this fusible link photo marked as for a B21.

There has to be some protection for this circuit

Dave

View attachment 48064

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Your picture tells the story. I marked up your photo to show the remains on where a slow blow fuse once was.

The fuse would have bridged the connection between these two metal terminals providing power to your tractor.

With the fuse and its base completely gone there is no power to the tractor.
forum B21 slow blow burned.jpg

Dave

Serge

Equipment
Kubota b21
Sep 5, 2020
Canada
Your picture tells the story. I marked up your photo to show the remains on where a slow blow fuse once was.

The fuse would have bridged the connection between these two metal terminals providing power to your tractor.

With the fuse and its base completely gone there is no power to the tractor.
View attachment 48066

Dave

Serge

Equipment
Kubota b21
Sep 5, 2020
Canada
But it has been working well since I have the tractor . May be they by pass one way or the other the slow blow fuse

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
But it has been working well since I have the tractor . May be they by pass one way or the other the slow blow fuse
More likely it fell off.

The fuse color in the Messicks one I posted earlier was red which I believe stands for 50 amps.

Go to places like NAPA and try and find one. Do not bypass the fuse as it is a great way to start a fire.

To prove to yourself my diagnosis is correct momentarily connect the two terminals together and see if things start working.

Just briefly.......

Dave