Kind of a sad cometary

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yesterday I had to run into town and figured I would stop at Eat n Park for lunch. And like always I get the soup and salad bar. Now the place was maybe at 1/4 capacity, and people were coming in and the hostess was telling them 30 to 45 min wait and the people would leave. So when the girl came with coffee I asked what it was all about. She told me they had only one cook and they normally have 4, the manager was helping in the kitchen, because he use to be a cook. And as it turns out, they have to handle of the take out orders first before any coustomers that are not doing the soup and salad bar. Good paying coustomers being turned away because they do not have enough people to do the job. There is something really wrong with this story where did we make that wrong turn. OK I am off the soap box now

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Airlines are cancelling flights too.

Guess it is because people are getting sick.

I think in a few weeks the sick will be healthy again, for the most part.

I am still wondering if my wife and I are doing the right thing trying to keep ourselves out of circulation for the time being.

My gut tells me we will all catch this less serious, but highly contagious, variant of the corona virus sooner or later regardless of vaccinations status.

Granted being vaccinated might give a better result, but that is not the issue.

Glad you chose a menu that got you fast service!

I miss the wife and I's regular visit to our favorite restaurant in Pittsburgh for lunch on Tuesdays!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Let's see what the next couple months bring, there may be a light at the end of the tunnel and know I don't mean a train.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Many of our local restaurants have reduced hours (only doing breakfast/ lunch or lunch/dinner) due to lack of employees.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
It all started when millions of people were forced to stay home due to covid. Ever since then, people have been quitting their jobs at record levels. It has now morphed almost into its own movement of sorts. The medical field is a total cluster right now. My wife's facility is teetering on not even having enough staff to keep the doors open. Every week they scrape by just barely meeting required hours.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Many of our local restaurants have reduced hours (only doing breakfast/ lunch or lunch/dinner) due to lack of employees.
As an after thought, I just remembered I made my bi weekly run to the local beer distributor for a case of beer, and found they were closed, with a sign on the door saying due to the pandemic and lack of staff they would be opening at 5 PM.

Surprised me. I think it is an indication that his variant of the virus is actually truly more infectious.

I always wore a mask when buying beer, but noticed that the employees never did. Not that a mask makes that much difference...

I truly was surprised to see that notice on the door though. I guess it is just another indicated that this variant is pretty contagious.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It all started when millions of people were forced to stay home due to covid. Ever since then, people have been quitting their jobs at record levels. It has now morphed almost into its own movement of sorts. The medical field is a total cluster right now. My wife's facility is teetering on not even having enough staff to keep the doors open. Every week they scrape by just barely meeting required hours.
I read, but do no know, that shortages of people for jobs relates somewhat to people that retired earlier than they planned to due to the pandemic.

Hard to believe that people that need money to live would not work unless the money they need was coming from somewhere else. We can all imagine where that money would be coming from.

Reactions: 1 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
My garbage is piled up since there is no way to hire workers with all the free money and handouts keeping them home.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Let's see what the next couple months bring, there may be a light at the end of the tunnel and know I don't mean a train.

Heard that a year ago......................... Don't see the light yet, especially since they are locking down Ontario starting at mid night tonight.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yesterday I had to run into town and figured I would stop at Eat n Park for lunch. And like always I get the soup and salad bar. Now the place was maybe at 1/4 capacity, and people were coming in and the hostess was telling them 30 to 45 min wait and the people would leave. So when the girl came with coffee I asked what it was all about. She told me they had only one cook and they normally have 4, the manager was helping in the kitchen, because he use to be a cook. And as it turns out, they have to handle of the take out orders first before any coustomers that are not doing the soup and salad bar. Good paying coustomers being turned away because they do not have enough people to do the job. There is something really wrong with this story where did we make that wrong turn. OK I am off the soap box now
Similar issue at Outback steak house Saturday night. 1/4 full and 45 minutes to an hour wait for a table unless you sat at the bar.

We sat at the bar. We were hungry!!! 🙄🙄🙄

Not enough kitchen or wait staff. Nobody wants to work. Bar tender was bussing tables. We finally had him toss us the spray and rags and helped him clean off the bar so more folks could sit.

Made sure and left a really good tip as well.

Our favorite diner that we used to go to for breakfast on the weekend, is now closed on the weekends. Not enough staff.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Im still waiting for a day off 🤣
Haha same. I took 1 day off for Christmas, 1 day for New Years. That was it all year (I do not work weekends). Not complaining though…
Same here. After 30+ years, 3 days off in 3 years. No vacation. I do get federal holidays.

1 - I was sick
2 - Wife's car was sick - - that wasn't a bad thing. Got to hang with my buds.
Fordtech can appreciate this...I usually drive into/out of the bays/lifts, and hang around the bays with the techs. Not everyone has the same treatment. Heck, one time the owner and I rotated the tires on my truck. I was running the impact on my side, he on his. I torqued them all myself. They were shorthanded that day.... :)
3 - Dog was sick

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
My garbage is piled up since there is no way to hire workers with all the free money and handouts keeping them home.
All of the free money and handouts ended last summer. What are you talking about?

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
If you're talking about the one next door to Bob Evan's I walked out of that joint two weeks ago for the same reason. A cook didnt show up and its a 30 minute wait at 1/3 capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.