Keeping snow and rain off the seat?

Skidude108

Equipment
L3240 HST
Oct 20, 2022
Maine
I have to store my tractor outside for a while, but it is always frustrating to go use it first thing in the morning or after some wet weather because the seat is wet.
The previous owner put a nice durable canvas seat cover on, but I can't just wipe water off with a towel.

How do you guys keep the seat or whole cockpit dry when you store your machine outside?
I'm thinking the simplest thing is a garbage bag over the seat but I'm not sure how to keep it on through some wind or something. Maybe a large bucket, or something fashioned out of a piece of tarp and some rope?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
large trash bag and bungee cord (or rope)
Ditto. I often load my trailer the night before and just tilt the seat forward against the steering wheel with a trash bag over it. I don't like rain or frost on my seat since it is cordura and not vinyl. Remove it before heading down the road.

Reactions: 1 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I have to store my tractor outside for a while, but it is always frustrating to go use it first thing in the morning or after some wet weather because the seat is wet.
The previous owner put a nice durable canvas seat cover on, but I can't just wipe water off with a towel.

How do you guys keep the seat or whole cockpit dry when you store your machine outside?
I'm thinking the simplest thing is a garbage bag over the seat but I'm not sure how to keep it on through some wind or something. Maybe a large bucket, or something fashioned out of a piece of tarp and some rope?
Contractor garbage bag with a bungee is my advise as well.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Contractors garbage bag , then flip the set up onto the steering wheel to hold the garbage bag on, or pick it up and fold the garbage bag under and set it back down.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia

Get a cover. Wish I had done so many years ago.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have a cab and a garage, but I keep my Kubota outside during good weather and put it away in a carport during inclement weather. When it snows, I put it into my canvas garage and zip the door closed. In the moring, I just unzip the door and roll it up and start snow blowing.

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
I had to keep mine outside for a week. I used a Nelson Rigg Motorcycle cover. Waterproof, battens, draw strap all on the cover to keep it secure. They also make a larger ATV cover. Worked well, and they very well made.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
During the warmer months I just flip the seat up to keep it dry. When the snow season comes I pull the tractor under a roof that is just big enough to protect the seat and operator area. That roof is in front of a garage where I keep a car that I only use in the good weather so I don't mind blocking it in the winter.

A nice big garage is in the planning stages but I don't know when I'll be able to build that.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
At a masonry supply or large hardware store they sell large plastic tubs to mix grout in. They can be turned upside down and placed over the seat and steering wheel and keep water off fairly well. They are fairly heavy so don’t blow away.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I have used bags and small tarps.

The seat on the Ford is a cheap replacement seat like you'd find on a garden tractor. When I made the mounting adaptor, I made it so it flips forward AND is easily removed by using a long pin through the front support. On sunny days it's nice to flip it out of the hot sun.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
A green tarp spring to fall covers hood, seat, and pto. 20X20 shed/barn for winter with a battery tender.