K-Connect/Flail

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hello everyone. On YouTube there are what looks like B model Kubota tractors operated outside of the US with front mounted flail mowers. Pretty nice set up if you ask me. The popular mid mount cutting deck seems a pain to remove to clean and sharpen blades . Its also expensive. Does anyone have any experience with the K-connect and front flail mower combination ? Looking to replace my older Steiner tractor equipped with a front mounted deck. Perhaps with a B2601. If I could "rig" a flail mower to the front it might be perfect in my opinion. I love having the mower out front. For residential use. Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Kubota doesn't offer any of those type of attachments in the US or Canada, so getting them would be rather difficult to say the least.
You could have one made up, but again rather pricey even if you were to do it yourself.

FYI if I get time I will be doing exactly what you are thinking about to an older B7100HST and a Jacobson 72 flail.
Or maybe on MY L3450
The deck is a Hydraulic drive deck and I will be using a MID PTO powered Pump to get the proper flow for the unit.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Kubota doesn't offer any of those type of attachments in the US or Canada, so getting them would be rather difficult to say the least.
You could have one made up, but again rather pricey even if you were to do it yourself.

FYI if I get time I will be doing exactly what you are thinking about to an older B7100HST and a Jacobson 72 flail.
Or maybe on MY L3450
The deck is a Hydraulic drive deck and I will be using a MID PTO powered Pump to get the proper flow for the unit.
Is the K-connect apparatus the same thing used for snow blowers and the brush sweeper ? If so , that is of course readily available. I suppose a compatible mount would be the issue.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would imagine you could adapt a coupler to fit it but you still would have to come up with a Home brew way to drive the flail.
Most flails are designed for a three point and 540RPM, both are issues with putting them in the front.
You would have to design a gear reduction box to reduce your 2500RPM (or there about) mid PTO to 540.
then you would have to make a mount that would fit on the back of the flail.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would imagine you could adapt a coupler to fit it but you still would have to come up with a Home brew way to drive the flail.
Most flails are designed for a three point and 540RPM, both are issues with putting them in the front.
You would have to design a gear reduction box to reduce your 2500RPM (or there about) mid PTO to 540.
then you would have to make a mount that would fit on the back of the flail.
Seems like no need to "reinvent the wheel" so to speak. The set up already exits. I will make a few calls and report back. Thanks for your input I have learned something.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
UPDATE; The Peruzzo Scorpion flail mower shown front mounted on the equivalent of a B2601 on YouTube is available thru Iowa Farm Equipment. A 60 inch unit sells for $6,500 and weighs 575 pounds. Also needed is the K-Connect apparatus. I think it sells for around $1,500. Maybe 8,500-$9,000 total with taxes and shipping. Expensive. Thats why these things aren't very popular. I suppose for the "proper" application it could be justified. How one would justify this purchase and what is the best application , Anyone?

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
UPDATE; The Peruzzo Scorpion flail mower shown front mounted on the equivalent of a B2601 on YouTube is available thru Iowa Farm Equipment. A 60 inch unit sells for $6,500 and weighs 575 pounds. Also needed is the K-Connect apparatus. I think it sells for around $1,500. Maybe 8,500-$9,000 total with taxes and shipping. Expensive. Thats why these things aren't very popular. I suppose for the "proper" application it could be justified. How one would justify this purchase and what is the best application , Anyone?
Wow that is quite a bit of money. I’d love to have a front mount mower on my machine, but for the cost a rear finishing mower works just fine. I also only mow about an acre now as I have a big pond