Just bought a new L3901....... maybe

Gav-n-Tn

Equipment
L3901
Jul 15, 2021
Tennessee
Just went this afternoon to look over an L3901. First new tractor purchase for me. I’ve owned a variety of Fords for years. Anyway, I won’t take delivery until the first of next week because I wanted the tires changed to the industrials. Those R4 or whatever they’re called just didn’t look like they’d do well in muddy conditions.

Here’s the dilemma: After I got home, I found a L3901 package deal at another dealer 150 miles away for less than $1500 more. Comes with a tandem axle trailer, a Land Pride box scrape and a Land Pride bush hog. To me it’s a no brainer except I don’t know if they have the packages in stock and what the delivery fee would be. I’m at least tempted to call in the morning. I’m also taking advantage of the 0% financing that ends July 31st.

Thoughts?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The industrials are R4s. Did you mean it had R14s? The R14s are supposed to do better in mud compared to R4s. Do you intend to use it in mud? I avoid that since it just tears up the ground.

The deal might not actually exist. I would probably call the other dealer to see if they actually have what you think you want. From all I’ve heard, “package deals” aren’t much of a deal because they put the cheapest items together.

Reactions: 2 users

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
When I did some shopping for my L2510 I found many of the "package" deals included a gear drive L2501 and not the HST. Are both tractors the same , gear or hst?

Gav-n-Tn

Equipment
L3901
Jul 15, 2021
Tennessee
When I did some shopping for my L2510 I found many of the "package" deals included a gear drive L2501 and not the HST. Are both tractors the same , gear or hst?
They make it clear that HST is a $900+ upgrade. I factored that into the difference.

Reactions: 1 user

Gav-n-Tn

Equipment
L3901
Jul 15, 2021
Tennessee
The industrials are R4s. Did you mean it had R14s? The R14s are supposed to do better in mud compared to R4s. Do you intend to use it in mud? I avoid that since it just tears up the ground.

The deal might not actually exist. I would probably call the other dealer to see if they actually have what you think you want. From all I’ve heard, “package deals” aren’t much of a deal because they put the cheapest items together.
The tractor would be the same. Land Pride is far from cheap unless they’ve gone way downhill.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Yeah, those package deals usually aren't as good as they seem, not saying that one is or isn't.

Whatever you do, make sure you get what features you want now. It is much easier, and I believe cheaper, to have a 3rd function or remotes put on it as an option when you buy it.

Gav-n-Tn

Equipment
L3901
Jul 15, 2021
Tennessee
The tractor would be the same. Land Pride is far from cheap unless they’ve gone way downhill.

Whatever it’s called, the front tires looked like something you’d find on an ATV. I do have portions of the property that can be pretty soft. The tire was kinda rounded and just looked like it would not do too well. Maybe I’m wrong and will regret it.

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
There are lots of threads about R14s. You just need to do a few searches.

I went with R4s because they are a tougher tire, and it’s rocky here where I live. I wasn’t concerned with mud since it is generally dry here and will put chains on for Winter no matter if I have R14s or not.

R14s are called that because they are a hybrid. If you want the best mud traction, go with R1s. The bonus is that you have an adjustable offset that is wider and gives you more stability. R1s are harder on grass in a yard and not as tough as R4s.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I do believe R14s would do better just by looking at them. There are some threads here about them and I seem to recall that to be the case.

R4s, from my experience, do not do well in mud. I think R1 (Ag) tires would be the best of all three for mud.

Gav-n-Tn

Equipment
L3901
Jul 15, 2021
Tennessee
I do believe R14s would do better just by looking at them. There are some threads here about them and I seem to recall that to be the case.

R4s, from my experience, do not do well in mud. I think R1 (Ag) tires would be the best of all three for mud.
I wanted the Ag tires but they didn’t have them and had no idea what the lead time would be. They also said the Ag tires are only 4 ply whereas the R4 and R14 are 6 ply. I’m going to avoid just jumping in the mud as much advice possible but I know it’s gonna happen.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
It was not a big deal for me. I don't get the tractor out when it is wet. If I did, I would be spending all my time fixing ruts when it is dry.

Gav-n-Tn

Equipment
L3901
Jul 15, 2021
Tennessee
It was not a big deal for me. I don't get the tractor out when it is wet. If I did, I would be spending all my time fixing ruts when it is dry.
I guess everyone buys them for their own reasons. This tractor is not going to be doing yard work. It’ll be doing clearing and bush hogging. I’m not looking for mud, it’s going to find me sooner or later. I don’t plan on getting into anything that would bury it. I’ve been stuck before with 2wd and a diff lock but had enough sense to know when to stop digging. I just pulled it out once it was dry enough for the tractor to help itself out along with the help.

Gav-n-Tn

Equipment
L3901
Jul 15, 2021
Tennessee
For the insane upcharge for the R14 tires on our new L2501,we went with turfs,that has served us well.
Good Luck!
I was told there’s a $500 up charge for either the R4’s or R14’s over the R1’s. I’m not worried about that price difference one bit. I just don’t want to spend time on this tractor being distracted by the regret of not getting the tires I felt would work best for me.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I’m very pleased with the R14’s. I’ve owned them on two different tractors and they provide excellent traction in a variety of conditions including mud and snow. Plus, they don’t tear up the lawn (assuming it’s not wet).

Mike

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
On the package pricing - if the implements and trailer are the implements and trailer you'd buy anyway, then a great deal. If they're the lighter weight land pride, and you'd have bought the heavier duty, then not such a good deal. Similar on trailer - if you were going to buy a cheap trailer anyway, then it's a good way to get a cheap trailer. If you were going to buy a heavier duty or larger trailer, then it's money wasted.