Just bought a L185DT, 1977 - 1982

JayJay

Equipment
L185DT
May 17, 2022
Acton Ca
Just bought this tractor L185DT. Runs good but it is stuck in gear. I am able to drive forward even though the shift lever is in neutral. When you push in the clutch and select a gear ( forward or reverse ) the tractor will not go forward. The tractor acts as if the breakers are locked and motor will stall if you let the clutch all the way out.
It had the top of the trans open when I bought it. Reassembled the shift forks etc. and everything looked okay,
Could it be something to do with the high low gear selector ? Why would there be a neutral on the high lower gear selector ? Thanks for any thoughts or ideas !

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I recall posts of similar problems that mentioned the shifter forks not working properly due to wear or bad assembly.
Search shifter forks for a few things to try
This thread sounds like what you may be experiencing.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Just bought this tractor L185DT. Runs good but it is stuck in gear. I am able to drive forward even though the shift lever is in neutral. When you push in the clutch and select a gear ( forward or reverse ) the tractor will not go forward. The tractor acts as if the breakers are locked and motor will stall if you let the clutch all the way out.
It had the top of the trans open when I bought it. Reassembled the shift forks etc. and everything looked okay,
Could it be something to do with the high low gear selector ? Why would there be a neutral on the high lower gear selector ? Thanks for any thoughts or ideas !
There is a neutral between the Hi and Low range selector positions.
You are definitely in two gears at the same time hence the locked trans mission.
Open the top again and study it carefully.
Don't put the cover back on until you can let the clutch out without stalling the engine.
forum L185 manual.png

Have engine at low rev's and expect some oil to the thrown out.
If you want the operators manual, use the envelope symbol located in the top right corner of the form page to send me your email.
Do not post your email where everyone can see it
Dave

Reactions: 1 user

JayJay

Equipment
L185DT
May 17, 2022
Acton Ca
There is a neutral between the Hi and Low range selector positions.
You are definitely in two gears at the same time hence the locked trans mission.
Open the top again and study it carefully.
Don't put the cover back on until you can let the clutch out without stalling the engine.
View attachment 80282
Have engine at low rev's and expect some oil to the thrown out.
If you want the operators manual, use the envelope symbol located in the top right corner of the form page to send me your email.
Do not post your email where everyone can see it
Dave
Thank you! I appreciate your help.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thank you! I appreciate your help.
The reason there's a neutral between H and L is the sliding gear has to disengage from one gear before it can engage the other. Otherwise, it would not be able to 'find' the other or, if it did, the gears would bind due to being in two gears simultaneously. Similar to the problem you're having in your transmission.