Just a little vent

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You know cleaning a place up after a loved one passes is never fun. And then come, what do I do with her stuff. Her kids and grand kids took what they wanted so what do I do with the rest. Clothing went to the City Mission Womans Shelter. And medical stuff, went to where it could be used. Lots of stuff went to the curbside pick up. And now books, lot of books, she was a reader any and everything always on the journey till the end. So I called the local libraries looking for the book collection days. Non, wont except donations of books, no room no space, and so on and so on. I hate to put them in the dumpster, but maybe I will have to. Sorry but I just had to vent some,, carry on with your day

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
You know cleaning a place up after a loved one passes is never fun. And then come, what do I do with her stuff. Her kids and grand kids took what they wanted so what do I do with the rest. Clothing went to the City Mission Womans Shelter. And medical stuff, went to where it could be used. Lots of stuff went to the curbside pick up. And now books, lot of books, she was a reader any and everything always on the journey till the end. So I called the local libraries looking for the book collection days. Non, wont except donations of books, no room no space, and so on and so on. I hate to put them in the dumpster, but maybe I will have to. Sorry but I just had to vent some,, carry on with your day
State College or nearby used to have a book sale in the summer and they took donations. I'll ask my friend if she knows about it. Books are hard, I can barely throw out magazines much less books. Around here they have little mini libraries on posts "take one leave one". You could carry around a bag full and just slip one in every time you go to store. Good Will or other thrift stores might take some.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Give them to the Women's Shelter

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
My heart goes out to ya my friend. Wife says around here we have second hand book stores that will take them, myself, I just look at the pictures. :rolleyes:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Our local community shelter will take books.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I feel for you buddy, and know exactly what you mean. BTDT.

Slightly different situation a mile from here. Followed signs to an estate sale, 1 acre home with barn out back. The old folks who owned the place passed away 6 months ago, and their son (65yr old, who lived there in the '70s), his wife, and assorted grandkids & their wives out from Ohio, trying to empty the place to put it up for sale. Estate sale was to last 5 days, then back to Ohio.
Place was a borderline hoarder disaster. 90% was just crap- rusty tools, broken lawn mowers, broken dishes, old out of date food, broken toys, used (dirty) senior care gear, stained mattresses, busted furniture,power tools that didn't run, several tons of rusty scrap metal, you get the picture. Everything was dirty or rusty or both.
Widely spaced out in this mess were a few usable or re-saleable items. I would guess at least (3) 40ft dumpsters worth of just trash.

Now to the problem:
The grandkids, (who had to do all the labor getting ready for the sale) where making deals, giving reasonable prices, but were constantly being over-ruled by their parents who wanted above top dollar for everything no matter what its condition. Probably 80% of people who picked out something to buy left without it because of their pricing. Sale lasted 7 days, and probably 80+% is still there. We told the grandkids about a few charities that would take medical supplies, bedding & towels for animals shelters, & a veterans charity, but a week has passed & nothing seems to be moving.

Example of their pricing: There was a Brinly/Hardy garden dump trailer, some rust, completely flat, ruined tires, tailgate stuck/rusted in place. The kid told me $60, but his dad wanted $725, "because that's what we paid!". Yeah, right. The kid told me to come back in three days, and he would give me a good price if I took it out the side yard so the old man wouldn't see it. I got it for $40.

Somebody offered to bring a small Bobcat & dump trailer and would clean out the entire lot & barn (2-3 ft deep) for free, if he could take the scrap iron. The old man said no.

I assume they will have to sell it full of trash & take a big hit on the price.
People are hard to understand.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I totally understand where you are since I've been there my self. My mother was an voracious reader. Books every where in the house. Mamma passed before my dad. When Pop passed and after my three sisters and I divvied up the things we all wanted then we had the estate sale. My oldest sister, the executrix, hired a company to run the estate sale. We all agreed that would be best.....Huge mistake. They WAY over priced everything virtually nothing sold.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Goodwill still took books last time I brought them in.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I went to an estate sale in Ozarka, AR sometime around 1998 and one of the items offered was a parkerized 1911 Colt (not A1) marked US Property. It had clear plastic grips, but otherwise looked very good.
It went for $900.
After the auction...THEN it was revealed the one of the grandkids had held-back the original WW-1 gov’t issue holster and belt which belonged to that pistol. He wanted something to remember GrandDad by.
THEN it was revealed the newspaper article which was printed about that pistol.... That 1911 had gone to war with the GREAT-grandfather in WW-1 who fought at Flanders, and he brought that pistol back home.
It was HIS SON who was the GrandFather who took it to France as his personal weapon in WW-TWO!
FURTHERMORE.... the newspaper article showed the picture of the Focke-Wulf fighter which GrandDad had SHOT DOWN with his Fathers WW-1 issue 1911. Seems the Focke-Wulf was making a low-level strafing-pass at his platoon and he took a wild-shot at the airplane as it flew-by overhead.... and the LUCKY-SHOT went thru the side of the cockpit and into the pilot killing him...and the airplane continued straight-ahead sliding onto the road, across a ditch, coming to rest in a field!

The farmer whose field it was took an axe and chopped out a piece of the windshield and gave it to the Grandfather as a keep-sake... and took a photo of the Focke-Wulf, Grandfather holding his .45 all together. The newspaper article included that photo.

The GrandFather had a set of grips made for that pistol out of that piece of windshield.... and THAT was why it had CLEAR GRIPS!

That pistol would have brought a LOT more money in that auction if the holster, belt, and newspaper article were made known BEFORE the auction! (And the anti-gun attitude of the parents of that youngster who wanted a momento of his deceased Grandfather showed what idiots they were to insist it be sold at an estate auction, IMO.)

True stories, all.

Reactions: 1 user

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
My next door neighbor passed in February. His boys were over trying to make sense of his garage. When I moved in he was working on a 54 Studebaker. He got a 34 Ford dually . He bought 2 extra flathead V8s. Then he bought a 193 loop model A pickup . He has an extra cab for that. His last purchase was a 1920 model T . The 3 fords are all in a 2 stall garage along with parts of the Studebaker.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I've donated books to thrift shops and Friends of the Library for their book sales. Also given some to used book stores - they can be a little picky on condition if you're selling, but when I owned one, if someone GAVE me several boxes, I didn't complain.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Try the jail or local prison. They take books in my area.

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Check the book stores that sell used books. My daughter sells and rebuys books all the time at her favorite book store. The store she uses is called half price books...I'm sure there are alot of good book stores like that.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I took several boxes of books to the local used book store, and got store credit.
Didn't really need it, just wnated to get rid of all the books.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I feel for you buddy, and know exactly what you mean. BTDT.

Slightly different situation a mile from here. Followed signs to an estate sale, 1 acre home with barn out back. The old folks who owned the place passed away 6 months ago, and their son (65yr old, who lived there in the '70s), his wife, and assorted grandkids & their wives out from Ohio, trying to empty the place to put it up for sale. Estate sale was to last 5 days, then back to Ohio.
Place was a borderline hoarder disaster. 90% was just crap- rusty tools, broken lawn mowers, broken dishes, old out of date food, broken toys, used (dirty) senior care gear, stained mattresses, busted furniture,power tools that didn't run, several tons of rusty scrap metal, you get the picture. Everything was dirty or rusty or both.
Widely spaced out in this mess were a few usable or re-saleable items. I would guess at least (3) 40ft dumpsters worth of just trash.

Now to the problem:
The grandkids, (who had to do all the labor getting ready for the sale) where making deals, giving reasonable prices, but were constantly being over-ruled by their parents who wanted above top dollar for everything no matter what its condition. Probably 80% of people who picked out something to buy left without it because of their pricing. Sale lasted 7 days, and probably 80+% is still there. We told the grandkids about a few charities that would take medical supplies, bedding & towels for animals shelters, & a veterans charity, but a week has passed & nothing seems to be moving.

Example of their pricing: There was a Brinly/Hardy garden dump trailer, some rust, completely flat, ruined tires, tailgate stuck/rusted in place. The kid told me $60, but his dad wanted $725, "because that's what we paid!". Yeah, right. The kid told me to come back in three days, and he would give me a good price if I took it out the side yard so the old man wouldn't see it. I got it for $40.

Somebody offered to bring a small Bobcat & dump trailer and would clean out the entire lot & barn (2-3 ft deep) for free, if he could take the scrap iron. The old man said no.

I assume they will have to sell it full of trash & take a big hit on the price.
People are hard to understand.
Sounds like my mother in-law when pops passed. Most of the stuff was priced over the original purchased price.

She finally had an auction and took a hosing on the stuff.

She would have probably sold everything off within a week if she priced things reasonably to begin with. Instead she ticked off most everyone that stopped by.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When my father in law passed, I was tasked with emptying the home. I put a Craigslist ad saying that the contents of the home were free. Gave my telephone number, and when people called, I asked what they were looking for. A number of young families needed bedroom sets, and they were very appreciative of the free furniture. Same with the living room furniture. Almost all the furniture went to families that couldn't afford much, and were very grateful. They also took books, kitchen stuff, etc.. By screening the calls first, I made sure that there were no "resellers" that got past me. On the last day, what was left was all free no matter who they were. I just wanted it all gone, and I accomplished that. The home was sold a few weeks later, and the only things that went into the dumpster were old pictures that the family didn't want, and other assorted "junk" that no one wanted.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
State College or nearby used to have a book sale in the summer and they took donations. I'll ask my friend if she knows about it. Books are hard, I can barely throw out magazines much less books. Around here they have little mini libraries on posts "take one leave one". You could carry around a bag full and just slip one in every time you go to store. Good Will or other thrift stores might take some.
Talked to my friend and to her disappointment the book sale is cancelled for this year. They took in donated books and sold them for scholarship funds. Neither she nor I can bear to throw out a book.