Just a little more horsepower

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Wasn't even moving... Just sitting there and tossing it's guts.....Oh well. Black smoke is indicative of unburned / partially burned diesel fuel.

My 97 F350 diesel has a Gale Banks kit on it. Makes plenty of power (for me) and hardly smokes at all under load, but then I live in the real world.
The truck was on a dyno pushing over 2.9k horsepower not just revving to oblivion, and under more load than your 350 has ever seen. I would hazard that if they didn't run the wrong tune the first time that the motor would have held together. The second run immediately after on a heat soaked motor may have caused a run away situation there.

Also if it is a tuning shop they do this sort of thing as promotion and clout especially if they are going for records. So they risk blowing up a 100k setup but bring in business. Think of it like the free samples at Sam's Club or Costco. Yeah they waste a few hundred bucks in product and wages but they generate more sales from the added publicity. Same principle different price tag.

If it is a person with cash to spend and that is what they want to spend it on then who cares. No different than spending thousands on firearms that get lost in boating accidents, or any other hobby or itch.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
M y only comment is duh...

Why do it as a 'promotion' anyway. The EPA is coming down hard on that stuff and levying serious fines against the 'rolling coal' performance shops.

I have no desire to extract stupid power from my F350. It's a farm truck that pulls a GN trailer. Nothing more.

Rolling Coal and rampant pollution is done, unless you have the wallet to support it. I don't and I'm not interested is watching stupid blow up a good motor.

Bunch of idiots.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
M y only comment is duh...

Why do it as a 'promotion' anyway. The EPA is coming down hard on that stuff and levying serious fines against the 'rolling coal' performance shops.

I have no desire to extract stupid power from my F350. It's a farm truck that pulls a GN trailer. Nothing more.

Rolling Coal and rampant pollution is done, unless you have the wallet to support it. I don't and I'm not interested is watching stupid blow up a good motor.

Bunch of idiots.
It isn't a street legal truck so EPA has no say in it. Their target market is race cars and as long as those fall within the race rules and stay off the road the EPA really doesn't have anything to do with it. Plus much more pollution is caused in other forms than some rednecks compensating down the road or drag racers rolling coal 30 times in a summer.

And why do it as a promotion? Are you going to buy your beef from a guy in the back of a van wearing Sperry's, bright blue shorts and a Hawaiian shirt or from someone in a butcher shop or on a ranch?

Being a tuning shop that says I can get 3000 hp out of a 7.3 cummins or I'm willing to blow up my own rig trying says a lot more than your cousin Seth who says he can tune your race car cause he changed oil in his car once. They're putting their money and reputation where their mouth is and unfortunately ate it this time. Granted their serious clientele are going after maybe a grand or grand five horsepower not 3k but point still stands.

Its like having the Shelby or Hennessy badge on your car. They are tuning companies that built their reputation from winning races and pushing their cars to the ragged edge because they loved doing it.

Reactions: 1 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
3000 hp

I bet it runs a 11 second quarter mile too

I will never understand these guys take an engine that weights over 1000 lbs and put it into a truck that weighs 7500+ (with the engine) and try to go fast

you wanna go fast you need less weight

7500 lb trucks can accelerate pretty quickly but they also take forever to STOP, which is the case when one of them rolls over as well, they keep on rolling (lots of inertia and high center of gravity)

no thank you I'll stick to my lightweight gas (or more specifically methanol/nitro) powered stuff, much safer and much faster in most cases

local guy has a mid 90's ford with a 444 diesel, p pump converted, 65 psi, etc etc makes good power but still slower'n my 4 cylinder Mustang, which I have exactly $400 tied up in, and I bet his P pump alone is more than $400 ;)

I guess people like to spend money, or they have good sponsors

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
3000 hp

I bet it runs a 11 second quarter mile too

I will never understand these guys take an engine that weights over 1000 lbs and put it into a truck that weighs 7500+ (with the engine) and try to go fast

you wanna go fast you need less weight

7500 lb trucks can accelerate pretty quickly but they also take forever to STOP, which is the case when one of them rolls over as well, they keep on rolling (lots of inertia and high center of gravity)

no thank you I'll stick to my lightweight gas (or more specifically methanol/nitro) powered stuff, much safer and much faster in most cases

local guy has a mid 90's ford with a 444 diesel, p pump converted, 65 psi, etc etc makes good power but still slower'n my 4 cylinder Mustang, which I have exactly $400 tied up in, and I bet his P pump alone is more than $400 ;)

From the looks of it the truck has been gutted and fitted with a custom frame and roll cage. I bet the thing probably weighs as much as a normal lightweight car. It is not as light as a promod car for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if that truck pushed 9s or even 8s in the quarter because at the end of the day power and torque are still the same it is just how they produce it that changes.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
From the looks of it the truck has been gutted and fitted with a custom frame and roll cage. I bet the thing probably weighs as much as a normal lightweight car. It is not as light as a promod car for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if that truck pushed 9s or even 8s in the quarter because at the end of the day power and torque are still the same it is just how they produce it that changes.
That truck is used for truck pulls, drag racing, and dyno events. Its made a 8.88 second run on the strip. He swaps out turbo set ups depending on what he’s doing with it. The owner of the truck is the lead tech at Industrial Injection.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
That truck is used for truck pulls, drag racing, and dyno events. Its made a 8.88 second run on the strip. He swaps out turbo set ups depending on what he’s doing with it. The owner of the truck is the lead tech at Industrial Injection.
I wouldn't be surprised if that truck has another half second he can get out of it in the quarter but then the setup change between events would probably be arduous and the cost just not worth that extra time. The thing is still cooler than all get out though.

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
......but still slower'n my 4 cylinder Mustang, which I have exactly $400 tied up in, and I bet his P pump alone is more than $400 ;)

Sometimes big is just beautiful.

I have a bone stock 6.7L. It is plenty fast for me but it is no mustang. But then I can put that mustang in the back of the truck and still go just as fast - lol.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Rant incoming

Just watched the video and read through the thread. A little surprised at some of the vitriol directed at the folks in the video. Pushing a truck or engine to its limits like this is of zero interest to me personally. My Ford F150 is stock and works fine and im happy with it. However, I do not have any negative views to those who do enjoy doing that. I instead would encourage them in there interest and endeavor. I can admire it, even if I have no personal interest in it.

I'm always perplexed when someone who isn't interest in a certain hobby or interest puts those who are interested in said hobby or interest on blast. Its as if saying " I don't find any interest in this, and anyone who does is stupid" Its such a narrow minded view of the world, and if everyone shared that view we would never have made the gains we have over the last 300 years.

One thing I have spent years doing is overclocking and modding computers. Similar to what you do with a car or truck, but just a smaller scale. I assume folks would think I'm stupid for pushing computer components beyond their rated limits. I have destroyed a couple components over the years from my overclocking endeavors. I began overclocking computers at age 13, and have always built my own computers, often modding them heavily. I've never owned a computer in the last 20+ years that wasn't overclocked at every component to outperform stock. I spend over a week with a new computer just to overclock and fine tune memory timings, adjust voltage rails, and tweak every aspect of its function. It is thanks to my interest and knowledge gained over the years in these endeavors that landed me in the career I now enjoy.

Sometimes people do things simply because they are interesting to them. They are likely engineering type personalities, as I am. I am an INTJ MBTI personality type. INTJ / INTP personalities are natural tinkerers and system builders. They are the ones who take apart the alarm clock at 6 years old because they want to see how it works. They have also been responsible for vast advancements in science and technology over the last 300 years. Albert Einstein, Alan Turing, Stephen Hawking, Sir Isaac Newton are a few famous examples of those types. Ive read in depth biographies on both Einstein and Turing. Both were tinkering and developing theories and in many cases questioning their intellectual superiors when they were still considered wet behind the ears. I'm taking the argument to the ultimate extreme here but my point is that calling someone stupid for their interest in something you don't care for is narrow minded. The tinkerer, the one who pushes things to the envelope, is often the person who designs the next advancement - this has been true all through scientific history. They tinker because they find it highly interesting, intellectually engaging, and because they have a natural curiosity about how the world works, and how it can be improved. These are things we should celebrate, not denigrate.

I make this argument because I've had people call me stupid in the exact same way for taking computers apart, pushing them to the limit, and occasionally burning something up. I've had people ask why I waste my time doing that, and risk destroying something that is perfectly fine. What the person making the accusation never sees however is the why. They also don't see the mountain of knowledge I gained along the way, or where that knowledge has taken me. Some folks are comfortable going through life vanilla, living ultra conservative, pushing no boundary, questioning nothing, and thats fine. Everyone is different though. Dont be so close minded.

/end rant

Reactions: 2 users

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Tornado, I 100% agree. If someone is interested in something enough to spend a bunch of money on it more power to them. It is no different than the fisherman who has hundreds of pieces of tackle and a few combos that are a thousand bucks each, a trap/skeet/sporting clay shooter with a $2500 gun and thousands of rounds of ammo, or someone who hobby farms on the side and doesn't have enough land for it to be profitable but they do it anyway because they enjoy it and are willing to take the losses.

Everyone wastes money on something, cars, boats, computers, tractors, tools. As long as you aren't breaking any laws and aren't milking money from the system then do what makes you happy and ignore everyone telling you to stop. Value added doesn't need to be and shouldn't calculated in dollars per hour with a hobby.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Tornado, I 100% agree. If someone is interested in something enough to spend a bunch of money on it more power to them. It is no different than the fisherman who has hundreds of pieces of tackle and a few combos that are a thousand bucks each, a trap/skeet/sporting clay shooter with a $2500 gun and thousands of rounds of ammo, or someone who hobby farms on the side and doesn't have enough land for it to be profitable but they do it anyway because they enjoy it and are willing to take the losses.

Everyone wastes money on something, cars, boats, computers, tractors, tools. As long as you aren't breaking any laws and aren't milking money from the system then do what makes you happy and ignore everyone telling you to stop. Value added doesn't need to be and shouldn't calculated in dollars per hour with a hobby.
Yea. Everyone has their thing. Some women love to spend Hundreds or thousands of dollars on makeup or handbags. I have a co worker who loves guns - he has a lot of guns that he has only fired a couple of times in the last 15 years, but he enjoys collecting them - finding them, etc. One day he was going on about his wife and an expensive handbag, just how stupid it was, a waste of money, and I asked him about the M1A1 he had bought a while back and still never fired. I said you buy all those guns just to set them in a gun safe - what's the difference really? Ultimately there isnt a difference. Both people are exercising the same mental processes just over different physical items.

For some its cars, some its guns, some its computers, some its camera's. I was heavily into photography for many years as well. I spent over $10,000 on just camera equipment over a 3 year period. Before that it was aquariums and fishkeeping, and I had aquariums all around the house with live plant species, varius fish species, different types of tanks and lighting, its always something. Now, I started down the tractor hole, and is why you find me on these forums as of last year. Its another interest I've dove off into, and Ive spent hours and hours and hours researching tractors and learning how things work. The point is that its a good thing for people to find interest in things, to explore those interests, to push the boundaries. There are some engineers at Intel now designing new processors that started as a kid taking his computer apart, much like I did at 12 years old. People who push cars to the limit are often the best mechanics, and end up coming up with new ideas, new solutions to problems, perhaps they start a new company with a new product line. Henry Ford invented the first automobile in this way. It all started at home, tinkering. Why do some find it so offensive that these guys are pushing a truck engine to its limits?

Reactions: 1 users