ISO vs SAE control pattern

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'm looking for some advice on which control patterns you favor when operating a mini excavator. I don't have much experience with excavators but an opportunity has come up to run one on a fairly frequent basis. The mini-ex will be used primarily for trenching. My issue is that I'm accustom to SAE stick controls for backhoes but it would appear that most excavators favor ISO control patterns.

The piece of equipment that I'll be using does have the ability to run in both patterns. I understand that its likely more an individual preference but I really don't want to injure anyone around me. Those of you with extensive experience running both, what do you prefer to do? Learn both or flip the excavator into the mode that I'm used to?

Thanks in advance

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
You mentioned "fairly frequent basis". In that case I'd opt to learn a new pattern, can't hurt to learn something new. If it were on an infrequent basis, I'd opt to run the pattern I'm most familiar with since I'd probably never get proficient in it without doing it on a regular basis. I've run both, just takes some time getting used to.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
To become proficient, it is best to choose ONE mode and stick to it. If you have to 'think' about it, you are not proficient.

Many excavators have a simple lever which will switch the controls between ISO/SAE.

Reactions: 1 user

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
My dad picked up an excavator that was opposite of our backhoe. It had been about 6 years since I ran the backhoe, so I thought I would be fine. On day 2, I switched the excavator.. I would stick with one, you will be more efficient.

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
Cat controls all the way I get screwd up on backhoe control. Cat is smother and more flowing for me. I used to work construction for about 10 yrs and if someone switched my machine to backhoe wow was I a mess.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I recently bought a mini ex. Can switch two patterns. I think the SAE is also referred to as the JD pattern. Which I think my Kubota backhoe uses.

for me it makes sense to use the SAE pattern, since that is what I am used to.

BUT...if I were using it for a living, and even moving from one piece of equipment to another regularly, would probably just get used to the ISO pattern and forget the SAE.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I recently bought a mini ex. Can switch two patterns. I think the SAE is also referred to as the JD pattern. Which I think my Kubota backhoe uses.
That's correct. It just makes sense to me that the left hand controls the boom in all directions (up, down, left and right).

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I'm in the same boat. I run Cat excavators at work, but I just bought a backhoe for my B2620 and it is backhoe control pattern.
My muscle memory makes the Cat controls come more naturally to me. So this spring I will be figuring out which lines to switch to make my BH65 Cat controls.

Even though I can switch the Cat to backhoe controls and just get used to that, the thing to remember is some jobsites like the oil fields in Alberta forbid you from switching control patterns from Cat. because they don't want the liability of someone switching patterns, then another op jumping in and killing someone by accident.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'm in the same boat. I run Cat excavators at work, but I just bought a backhoe for my B2620 and it is backhoe control pattern.
My muscle memory makes the Cat controls come more naturally to me. So this spring I will be figuring out which lines to switch to make my BH65 Cat controls.

Even though I can switch the Cat to backhoe controls and just get used to that, the thing to remember is some jobsites like the oil fields in Alberta forbid you from switching control patterns from Cat. because they don't want the liability of someone switching patterns, then another op jumping in and killing someone by accident.
I hear ya. I just recently saw on youtube where someone else did just that. They had to swap 2 pairs of lines to put their Kubota backhoe into ISO control pattern. It was a pretty simple job.