Is propeller shaft supposed to run all times~???

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi Joe and Rusty
Looks like you'll have to get that tractor split so know what is causing the noise. You shouldn't ever be able to hear the throwout bearing. As dusty says, if you take it apart for the bearing you should just replace the disc and pressure plate. The pilot bearing in there is a metal backed plastic bushing with an oil seal, they give very little trouble. There is also a coupler in that shaft right at the front of the transmission, it could be dry and worn out causing noise. None of these things should make it grind gears though. It could have a worn out or bent finger in the pressure plate which would cause it to grind gears, it would also make the clutch feel soft too which you said it was. Best thing is take it apart and make sure all these things are right.
It really isn't a huge job, you do need a good floor to work on and at least a good floor jack with free turning wheels.
Ed

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
I was so glad to see you Dusty. and I could see you made home safely.:D
After you left here, I did some more test too.

Once gear is engaged and move around and stop and changing gear to forward or reverse... it doesn't grind at all...:) Even on 3rd gear. (PTO wasn't engaged either).

Only time gear grinding is, right after start engine and try to put the gear into forward (1st or 2nd or 3rd) or reverse.

So, I used the rope that I made to stopping the propeller shaft and put the gear into forward and drive a bit and stop and put it into reverse... both no grinding...:D:D

Only first time to try to put it in gear, that is the time grinding...... Whew...!

Thank you so much again.
I hope to see you again on Nov. 28th (Sat.).

Joe.

Last edited:

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Joe. Yes I made it home safe and sound. If you baby your little tractor it should make it untill spring. But make no mistake, it will get worse and at some point you will have to tear it apart and fix it. I myself could probably baby that for about a year and a half, my son would get maybe a year out of it. My son in law would get in it for 10 min and it would be toasted!!!! I am joking of course, he would blow that thing in 30 seconds. Seriously, it isn't that bad, as you say you have developed a method of getting it into gear with a minimal of grinding.And by that I mean almost none at all. The noise from the clutch housing is a relatively inexpensive noise. The grinding itself if it gets bad will be very expensive. The clutch, pressure plate, pilot bushing, and release bearing for my B7200 were $500 or less. The transmission was $2500. I am just trying to make you aware of things as I think of them. And my thinking is very seldom in order of importance. I am as liable to tell you to put the oil in before I tell you to put in the drain plug. Good luck Joe.:D:D:D:D:cool: Dusty

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Pretty cool vids Joe. You know, I think my son in law would be good at this breaking boards and stuff. He is already a pro at breaking every piece of equipment he touches.:D:D Dusty

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi Joe,
I asked about your gear grinding problem here at the service school and the general consensus is that it is probably normal. The B7510, being the most inexpensive ( dare I say cheap?) B series kubota lacks synchronizers in the transmission and has no transmission brake so it is expected that there will be some clashing until everything comes into equilibrium! That being said though, none of us are there to actually see just how much ripping of metal is being done so it is hard to say for sure that yours is typical. If your release bearing is noisy though, you will have to fix that sometime. One mechanic said he had one that was excessive and the problem was a burr on the pilot bearing.
Ed

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Thank you Ed.

How was your schooling~?:D

So, B7510DT is economical version of tractor~? I thought BX was~:p
Oh~Well~~~, I guess I have to live with it for a while...:cool:

Any how, one question remains with me is the Clutch.

As Electrical engineer I was, when I put the switch to cut the current, I have to shut the whole power down. Not leaking the curren at all...:D

So, same concept, when the clutch has been depressed, whole power has to be cut off too~~!!! but B7510DT doesn't.

It is dry single clutch. so simply it has to cut the power down too.

But in my case, it still leaks the power and keep on turning "propeller shaft" and turning inside of transmission gears. Although, it could be stopped by hand lightly. and once PTO is engaged with snow blower is on it, it does not turining at all. and there is no noise when propeller shaft is stopped. Therefore I don't think Release bearing is gone bad YET~! (I'm guessing) (447 engine hours on it.) (Clutch pedal and clearance has been adjusted according to shop manual.) :D

May be Kubota Engineer was drunk, or my clutch inside is screwed~~~!!!:D:D:D

At least, once gear is in place, No MORE grinding on gear shifting until Clutch is released on NEUTRAL on gear shift.

So in this case, Should I gut it out to check the Clutch mechanism inside? or Should I leave it alone as Kubota dealer said it is normal~~~???

What would you guys do? if it was your tractor~?!
Thank you for your input.

Joe.

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi Joe
If it was mine I would leave it alone. Get into the habit of shifting into 1st gear first, ( gears are turning slower so should grind less) then shift into the gear you want. Your tractor will last for years!! The B7510 is the economy version of the B series The BX is an estate tractor, Completely different animal except for the engine.
Ed

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Yeah, I guess I will use it for a while and see what happen.

So, what is the difference in between BX and B and L series?
I'm sorry to asking stupid question...:eek:

Another thing is that I can't change the gear at all once tractor is moving.
I have to completely stop then I could change gear...
It really grinds hard and can't put it into next gear.

Even one time I was going down hill and put the gear into neutral and try to put it back into 3rd gear... I couldn't. I had to totally stop.

Is it something wrong then?

Joe.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi Joe,
Your tractor is not designed to be shifted on the go, it doesn't have synchronizers in the transmission to allow smooth engagement. If you are an experienced doubleclutching weasel you might be able to accomplish it but for the rest of us, we have to come to a complete stop to shift gears on these tractors.
The BX is a small wheeled Kubota, up to 26 hp, designed for estate work not serious farming. It is mostly built in the USA from major components built in Japan.
The B, L, MX. M tractors are all built in Japan and progress respectively in horsepower and physical size with some overlap. They are all serious farming tractors, but you can use them however you like!:D
Ed

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Fanally I could REST my case now~~~!!!

Okay, now finally understood my tractor~!:D

So I decide to disable the safety switch on Gear shift.
That means, I could start engine with gear is engaged. and then I shift gears to any position... NO MORE GRINDING~~!!!
So I took the ugly looking rope out too.

Of course, I have to be careful. but I guess it is worth it though.

Reason behind of this was, I took the plastic cover under neath of seat and I was observing propeller shaft's behavior and found, once gear is engaged, propeller shaft stop turning. (Means no grinding gears) and gear is in neutral, propeller shaft turns again. (Means grinding gears):D

Thank you all for those help.:D

Joe.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
There IS one other thing about gear clash on the mechanical B's. They were originally designed to run with heavy 80-90w gear oil. when we changed them over to udt the clashing got worse because of the low friction and viscosity characteristics of the oil. I have one customer here who puts 80-90 into his because it only runs a mower and a tiller so he doesn't operate in cold weather. He says it is much better! Hydraulic performance would be poor in the winter though.
Ed

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Yeah~, that was first thing that I thought about it~ but Dealer said I should use Premium UDT. :D

As you said, we are having very cold winter here. Probably not too far from your temperature in Alberta~:D

Since I disabled safety switch on Gear shift, it never grinding on gears. Whew~! Of course, Dealers never could say "Disable the safety switch"~:D:D:D

Even on my Cub cudet Zero turn mower has a bunch of safety switch and I had to disalbe a couple of them though. As soon as I get up from the seat, engine dies. I hated it. and when I try to go backward to cut some grass, engine dies~:cool: So I asked dealer and they said, they can't help~~~:eek:
So, I disassemble the tractor to figure it out and I did it.
and it works soooooo nice. it look a like that I'm using regular push mower like motion I could do~~~:D:D:D I love it.

Thanks a million on your precious help~!!!

Joe.

joekimtkd

Equipment
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Wow, no more grinding~ on first snow plow~~~!!!

I start tractor this morning to snow plow. and 5 minutes of warm up.
and I started tractor in gear, so just preventing gear grinding~!:D

but guess what~! after about an hour of use~ I tried to make same gear grinding problem to show one of my friend~. Wow, no more grinding~~~!!!:D:D:D

So, I'm guessing transmission warm up must helped. I took snow blower out and just used snow plow only today. 'cause we had wet snow.

I'm happiest boy now~~!!!:D:D:D

Thank you all.

Oh~ check this Christmas ecard, You will love to death~!!!

http://t.offerx.co.uk/94877832_1/?c...693283-0468-409a-bad4-f4b01c0576e0&c06=307238

Joe.