Irma blew my rain cap off

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
So I reminded myself five times to go tie down the rain cap but there was always something else to tie down. This morning went outside to check on animals and found my rain cap off the l1500.... yargh! Blew off in night.

What should I do before trying to start?

Thanks!

- Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Mike, some of the engines, esp. the older ones, had a small hole in the bottom of the exhaust manifold. That allowed water to escape. You might check it out.

But to be safe I'd suggest removing the glow plugs before turning over the engine. That will allow any moisture to escape. Change the oil also, just to be sure nothing got past the rings, but it's probably not the case.

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
How about turning the engine over by hand? Seems like that would tell you if you have a hydro lock situation without bending anything.

-- Carl

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Thanks! I probably only got 4 hours on my current oil too! Ah well better safe than sorry.

I'll also turn by hand

Thanks for the tips!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Mike, there's a good chance no or very little water is in the cylinders. If you remove the GP's I'd lay a paper towel over the holes with a piece of cardboard on top to kinda hold the paper in place. After a few cycles of the engine, if the paper towel has no damp spots on it I would install the GP's and go on and keep your new changed oil in there.

xmikew

Equipment
L1500DT
Apr 15, 2017
Charleston
Mike, there's a good chance no or very little water is in the cylinders. If you remove the GP's I'd lay a paper towel over the holes with a piece of cardboard on top to kinda hold the paper in place. After a few cycles of the engine, if the paper towel has no damp spots on it I would install the GP's and go on and keep your new changed oil in there.

Thanks all. There was a drain hole in the bottom of the exhaust manifold. In addition the way the tractor was parked was on a slight incline that would have the water run away from the engine. (Parallel to house so on the house grade). I spun the engine a few times and was easy to spin. Checked fluids and fired her up. Seems all is well. Appreciate the input!

- Mike