Intermittent slow loader. 3-point works fine (maybe)

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Hi all,

This is an LA854 loader on an L5740. The loader normally works OK, with the joystick corners not seeming to be in quite the right place, but the tractor is new to me. Every so often the boom controls are really slow, yet the bucket seems to tip at the correct speed. If the bucket is empty and I rock the bucket a couple of times the boom comes back to normal. Other times it takes awhile (seconds, probably not minutes).

Meanwhile the 3-point is fine -- I think. When I have the lever slide stop fixed and push the 3-point down to hit that stop, I get a vibration/buzz, which I'm pretty sure is just the lever vibrating against the the plastic stop (if I move the stop and put the lever in the same position it is fine). 3-pt goes up and down fine.

Tranny fluid is full and clean. Prior to purchase, about 25 hours ago, dealer "drained and filled transmission fluid and replaced both filters". I assumed that meant new fluid, and it does look nice and clean, but now I'm wondering about how they worded that.

Any hints on what to check next? I'm hoping something with the loader valve (dirt in an overpressure release?)? What should I look at?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like the linkage for the loader control needs attention.
Get the WSM ( AKA service manual) for the tractor and the loader and check it's setup.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
I was hoping it might be a linkage issue--the rubber boot that covers the opening for the joy stick was off when I looked at the tractor, and then again when it was delivered. Maybe somebody was messing in there (or maybe I didn't get it back on very well).

I have a kubotabooks WSM for the tractor, but don't yet have one for the loader. I realized after I was back in the house last night that the valve/linkage is probably included in the tractor book on this tractor.

Thanks,

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I was hoping it might be a linkage issue--the rubber boot that covers the opening for the joy stick was off when I looked at the tractor, and then again when it was delivered. Maybe somebody was messing in there (or maybe I didn't get it back on very well).

I have a kubotabooks WSM for the tractor, but don't yet have one for the loader. I realized after I was back in the house last night that the valve/linkage is probably included in the tractor book on this tractor.

Thanks,
I have attached the section from the loader assembly instructions for a larger but similar loader.

The key step is to lock the joystick in position then adjust the cables disconnected from the loader valve until they align with the valve spool holes

Dave

Attachments

Last edited: