Installing a BX2618 Snowblower on a BX23S

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Oh, where should I start? I removed the loader on the BX23S, and everything went well. Installed the K connect to the tractor, and then installed the snowblower assuming that everything was going well. Then I realized that there was no way that I could get all 4 hoses through the loops that Kubota has in the K connect installation instructions. I fiddled around with the two hoses that control the lift mechanism and got those 2 lines installed in the hose retainer and plugged into the hydraulics. I already suspected that this was going to be a problem so I purchased 2 spare hose retainers, and installed one further back on the frame for the 2 lines that control the chute rotation, and got them plugged in. Next came the hydraulic chute diverter hod. I purchased some of the parts to install this since I already had the hydraulic cylinder and hoses, so all that I needed were a few brackets etc., or I thought. Turns out that I was wrong, and even though the hoses are long enough, or so I think, the connection to the cylinder requires 2 90 degree fitting on the cylinder to point the hoses toward the sky in order for them to stay out of the stream of snow coming out of the chute. I will have to order these over the weekend, and once I have them in hand, I can determine if the hoses that I have are going to be long enough or not. I originally thought that I would need shorter hoses until I saw the picture of how the hoses need to be routed.
Tonight while looking at what I will need to order, I noticed a puddle of oil under the lift mechanism. I just bought this set up from the Kubota dealer that installed the cab last spring and was told that it was a take-off from a tractor that they sold the year before, and it was only used for one season. The cylinder is leaking from the piston seal. I check the rod for any type of damage, and it is as smooth and the cylinder looks like new. I doubt that they will do a warranty repair since I bought it as a used unit. I will probably order a seal kit for it and have it installed. I just don't want to be messing with something like a cylinder since I don't have the tools or the expertise.
Pictures to follow tomorrow...

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Replacing the o rings etc: inside the cylinders isn't as big of a problem as it seems like. The hardest part is removing the end cap. Some are threaded ,some are held on with a spring type of circle clip some have snap ring etc: once you figured out which one yours has there easy enough to do. Messy from oil but otherwise if your mechanically inclinded you'll be fine.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Here are the pictures. The hoses on the left side will need to be repositioned and properly installed, once I get the right angle fittings.
In the last picture, can anyone tell me why there is a blank hole behind the loader joystick.

MVC-009L.JPG
MVC-010L.JPG
MVC-011L.JPG

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Might be for a control in the event you have rear remotes installed.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Oh, where should I start? I removed the loader on the BX23S, and everything went well. Installed the K connect to the tractor, and then installed the snowblower assuming that everything was going well. Then I realized that there was no way that I could get all 4 hoses through the loops that Kubota has in the K connect installation instructions. I fiddled around with the two hoses that control the lift mechanism and got those 2 lines installed in the hose retainer and plugged into the hydraulics. I already suspected that this was going to be a problem so I purchased 2 spare hose retainers, and installed one further back on the frame for the 2 lines that control the chute rotation, and got them plugged in. Next came the hydraulic chute diverter hod. I purchased some of the parts to install this since I already had the hydraulic cylinder and hoses, so all that I needed were a few brackets etc., or I thought. Turns out that I was wrong, and even though the hoses are long enough, or so I think, the connection to the cylinder requires 2 90 degree fitting on the cylinder to point the hoses toward the sky in order for them to stay out of the stream of snow coming out of the chute. I will have to order these over the weekend, and once I have them in hand, I can determine if the hoses that I have are going to be long enough or not. I originally thought that I would need shorter hoses until I saw the picture of how the hoses need to be routed.
Tonight while looking at what I will need to order, I noticed a puddle of oil under the lift mechanism. I just bought this set up from the Kubota dealer that installed the cab last spring and was told that it was a take-off from a tractor that they sold the year before, and it was only used for one season. The cylinder is leaking from the piston seal. I check the rod for any type of damage, and it is as smooth and the cylinder looks like new. I doubt that they will do a warranty repair since I bought it as a used unit. I will probably order a seal kit for it and have it installed. I just don't want to be messing with something like a cylinder since I don't have the tools or the expertise.
Pictures to follow tomorrow...
I can't help with your question, but can suggest you break your thoughts into smaller paragraphs so that people that may be able to help can read your concern more easily...

Might be in the minority here though...perhaps my span of attention has decreased as I get older?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yes, that empty slot is for the dual rear remotes which are live all the time, unlike most '3rd function' setups.

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington
Wow you described one of my exact problems with the exact same equipment.

I have BX2618 snowblower with the BX2811 K connect mount thingee. My hydraulic cylinder on my mount (lifts blower up and down) just started leaking hyd fluid. I bought the tractor and blower two years ago.

As I typed this...the dealer called....they are rebuilding the cylinder under warranty..... so you might be in luck. Or could take it to a hyd shop for less than $100/hour labor. (which is what the dealer said they charge). Of note....my warranty was two years this spring....which is why I dropped my tractor off this winter.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Not sure how I missed this thread.
I have nearly the identical setup, except my chute deflector is electric.
I see what you're saying there about the hoses being in the way.
You guys say your k-connect cylinder/ram is leaking?
I'll have to look at mine, it's been flawless so far.
(edit) Just re-read: I would at least try the dealer, explain the story, maybe they could at least help you some way.......

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Interesting that your ram is leaking. Mine is also 2 years old, and the ram is also leaking, but I was told that it is out of warranty.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Looks like we have a full blown conspiracy now:

jhschlak

Equipment
BX 1880
Apr 5, 2011
Sharon Center, Ohio
I've got the residential blower and the ram is leaking as well. Not much so I am just going to leave it for now. Mechanic friend says he sees this alot on the plow trucks and he thinks it has something to do with salt getting into that area. Just a thought...
Jeff