Installing a automatic gate opener

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Some observations on the Liftmaster gate opener:

The control box has two holes already open in the bottom and some knock outs also. The existing holes are too large for 1/2 inch conduit fittings and the cable glands that are provided won’t fit into the knockout holes. So that makes it slightly confusing what entrances to use for what cable. It forces you to buy a cable gland if you’re adding solar panel.

Wiring is fairly easy, the cord to the opener is color coded and they provide a connector that plugs into the board.

The solar wiring is a mess though and the instructions require that a harness MUST BE purchased. While I purchased the new harness it is nearly identical to the one supplied and will not work if you had supplied incoming line power. I could have easily wired the solar panel in by splicing it into the wiring to the batteries instead of replacing the harness (that cost about $30 on line)

The LA500 opener is not easily installed onto the post or the gate. You have to fabricate something to weld the provided mounting plates to. What is provided is basically a .38 x 1.5 wide bar with holes in it to mount the opener but nothing provided at the other end, just a rectangular bar. Other openers are provided with mounting hardware that is ready to bolt onto the gate or post. Liftmaster does not offer anything to help mount this opener so they obviously think it will be installed by someone who can fabricate a way to make it work.

It works well and is nice to not have to get out to open the gate anymore. The opener speed is a bit too slow but is tolerable. The range of the remote is good so I can get it open before turning into the driveway and don’t have to wait on it to open.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Well a little update to call it finished.

Here is the keypad post I built to match the fence.
D125DF54-338D-48BB-BA7C-B07BC52285D6.jpeg

The only complaint on anything is that the Cartell free exit sensor failed but that was probably due to the length of time to get it buried was long. The replacement one has worked well and no problems with it since I buried it right away.

There are a few embellishments to add like an indicator light to show when the gate is closed at night; a couple of signs for the address will be added to conceal the opener behind the signs to tidy the appearance up and that is about all that I have planned.

So I will probably post again in a few months to report on how it works over the long haul.

So far it has been worth the investment of time and money.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

NicolaMcLean

Equipment
Kubota
Sep 12, 2021
USA
Great job. It looks very clean and beautiful. Nothing superfluous. Automatic gates are really very convenient. I had thoughts of making a transmitter that would open the gate at the touch of a button, something like RC. But in the end, it seemed to me too difficult a task, since I also wanted to add several solar panels there, but practice has shown that this will only work in sunny weather. In the end, we just ordered help from everlastgates.com who quickly picked up and installed the right model of automatic gates for us. It's really convenient when you don't have to come up and press the button every time for this.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You are welcome.

After nearly a year I am still happy with the opener.

The mounting of the safety “eye” sensor was somewhat problematic due to movement of the posts they are mounted on. Suggest that these sensors be mounted on very stable structures to start with.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
knockouts are probably 3/4" conduit. I had my control boxes repunched, easier to get cables in 3/4 conduit than 1/2" !