Install usb charging port

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I’m not very savvy with electrical wiring for 12 volt electrical systems. I’m installing 2 LED lights on my MX6000 open station (with canopy). I understand that install because it has a wiring kit with relay, switch, and battery connectors. I’d also like to install a USB port so I can keep my phone charged to stream radio stations to my Bluetooth headphones. I’m thinking that a battery connection wouldn’t be a good idea because the port would be hot all the time (would that trickle drain my battery over time?) Should I instead tie the USB port to my ignition switch, so it’s only hot when the tractor is running? If so, how and where should I do this? Or would a fused battery connector be ok for the port to be hot all the time? As I said, I’m not too savvy about this.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Gee my lil BX23S has a 'power port', I'd think your big tractor does too ?? It allows you to plug in 'adapters' and such to get switched +12, as long as the keys in the 'on' position.
A USB charging port WILL kill a battery over time, worse is just before that, it'll drain the battery to where you can't start the tractor !!

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Gee my lil BX23S has a 'power port', I'd think your big tractor does too ?? It allows you to plug in 'adapters' and such to get switched +12, as long as the keys in the 'on' position.
A USB charging port WILL kill a battery over time, worse is just before that, it'll drain the battery to where you can't start the tractor !!
I kind of suspected this. So, I have two choices: install a switch if it comes from the battery, or find a location to install to the ignition switch.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Do you have a cigarette lighter plug?
No. But I’m thinking I might have a solution if the wiring is set up like I think. I’m not going to use the wires under the fender for the LED lights because I’m going direct to battery with relay and switch. If the work light wire ends under the fender are wired to ignition switch, I can use those for the USB port. Does anyone know if those wires are only hot with the ignition on?

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I installed this one

in my B2650HSDC, and it works great. It has a led volt meter, and it has a small switch to turn it off completely. NO POWER DRAIN WHEN OFF. It has two USB ports and a cover to keep the elements out. I installed it without the cover, as I have a cab to keep it dry.

The lighter plug on a B2650HSDC is hot all the time, but when you start the tractor, the power to the plug is interrupted and you then have to push the power button on the usb to turn it on. When turning the tractor off, the usb stays on, and needs the small power button on the usb turned off manually. I tried to test the power draw on the usb when turned on with the tractor off, and my dc amp meter could not detect a draw even with 13.2 volts showing on the meter. I don’t know how long it would take to drain a battery with it left on, but my guess would be quite a while.

So far it has worked flawlessly for me and I get the benefit of seeing that my alternator is charging properly at 14.4 volts while running.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I installed this one

in my B2650HSDC, and it works great. It has a led volt meter, and it has a small switch to turn it off completely. NO POWER DRAIN WHEN OFF. It has two USB ports and a cover to keep the elements out. I installed it without the cover, as I have a cab to keep it dry.

The lighter plug on a B2650HSDC is hot all the time, but when you start the tractor, the power to the plug is interrupted and you then have to push the power button on the usb to turn it on. When turning the tractor off, the usb stays on, and needs the small power button on the usb turned off manually. I tried to test the power draw on the usb when turned on with the tractor off, and my dc amp meter could not detect a draw even with 13.2 volts showing on the meter. I don’t know how long it would take to drain a battery with it left on, but my guess would be quite a while.

So far it has worked flawlessly for me and I get the benefit of seeing that my alternator is charging properly at 14.4 volts while running.
I ordered a similar port with an on/off switch from Amazon. I don’t have a lighter plug or any accessory port on my tractor. Still wondering is anyone knows how the work light wire stubs under the fender are connected: to ignition or battery direct?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I ordered a similar port with an on/off switch from Amazon. I don’t have a lighter plug or any accessory port on my tractor. Still wondering is anyone knows how the work light wire stubs under the fender are connected: to ignition or battery direct?
Easy enough to check them with a basic automotive electrical tester. Ground the wire on the tester, and probe with the pointed end. If the light comes on when the key is off, it is live all the time. If not, then it is ignition powered. Most likely it is the ignition switch powered and off when the key is off.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I’d also like to install a USB port so I can keep my phone charged to stream radio stations to my Bluetooth headphones. I’m thinking that a battery connection wouldn’t be a good idea because the port would be hot all the time (would that trickle drain my battery over time?) Should I instead tie the USB port to my ignition switch, so it’s only hot when the tractor is running? If so, how and where should I do this? Or would a fused battery connector be ok for the port to be hot all the time? As I said, I’m not too savvy about this.
I bought one of these a couple of years ago for my F250 and wired it to power up with the ignition. I also bought one for the new MX but have only had the tractor for a few days so haven't got around to installing it. It's hard to get motivated when it's 7F outside. I'll be wiring it to power up when the key is either in the ACC or RUN positions. I'll probably run a dedicated fused wire from the positive terminal of the battery through a relay and use the ignitition switch to energize the relay in ACC and RUN.

Amazon.com: Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger Socket, Waterproof 12V/24V USB Outlet QC 3.0 Dual Charger Socket with Touch Switch DIY Kit for Car, Golf Cart, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Truck and More : Cell Phones & Accessories

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I bought one of these a couple of years ago for my F250 and wired it to power up with the ignition. I also bought one for the new MX but have only had the tractor for a few days so haven't got around to installing it. It's hard to get motivated when it's 7F outside. I'll be wiring it to power up when the key is either in the ACC or RUN positions. I'll probably run a dedicated fused wire from the positive terminal of the battery through a relay and use the ignitition switch to energize the relay in ACC and RUN.

Amazon.com: Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger Socket, Waterproof 12V/24V USB Outlet QC 3.0 Dual Charger Socket with Touch Switch DIY Kit for Car, Golf Cart, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Truck and More : Cell Phones & Accessories
That is similar to the unit I ordered, but the one I ordered has a power on/off switch. I’m going to connect to the Kubota work light wire stubs and see if they are direct to the battery. If so, I can used the on/off switch. If they are wired to the ignition, then great. Nobody seems to know how those Kubota wire stubs are connected.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I’m going to connect to the Kubota work light wire stubs and see if they are direct to the battery. If so, I can used the on/off switch. If they are wired to the ignition, then great. Nobody seems to know how those Kubota wire stubs are connected.
I have the WSM for the MX5400/MX6000 and maybe this wiring diagram will help you. I added Y/B to the second image to show which wire feeds the front and rear work light switches.

1.jpg

2.jpg

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I have the WSM for the MX5400/MX6000 and maybe this wiring diagram will help you. I added Y/B to the second image to show which wire feeds the front and rear work light switches.

View attachment 72317

View attachment 72318
So it looks to me that the work light wire stubs are operated through the ignition switch and will only operate when ignition is on. Correct? Or am I reading the diagrams wrong?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
No. But I’m thinking I might have a solution if the wiring is set up like I think. I’m not going to use the wires under the fender for the LED lights because I’m going direct to battery with relay and switch. If the work light wire ends under the fender are wired to ignition switch, I can use those for the USB port. Does anyone know if those wires are only hot with the ignition on?
Arent those work light wires only hot when the lights are on (ie switch)? You would have to have lights on to charge usb.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
you are correct. power ONLY when key is on.
that's how you should power the USB port device. if you're not there,no dead battery.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Arent those work light wires only hot when the lights are on (ie switch)? You would have to have lights on to charge usb.
Oh maybe that is true. I’ll have to check that out.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yes, so the R/B wires going into the light switches would be good to either energize a relay, or if the current draw is low enough, supply the outlet directly. The work lights on my new tractor are on the right side B pillar near to the 12V outlet so I'll most likely use the R/B wire for a relay.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Qualifier - I use my truck daily.

I've been leaving one or two phone chargers plugged into the 12V "lighter" outlets in whatever truck I've been driving since getting my first cell phone, and way back before the phones were equipped with driving direction apps, the Garmin or TomTom were always plugged in. Maybe it's different in the tractor because of inactivity?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Qualifier - I use my truck daily.

I've been leaving one or two phone chargers plugged into the 12V "lighter" outlets in whatever truck I've been driving since getting my first cell phone, and way back before the phones were equipped with driving direction apps, the Garmin or TomTom were always plugged in. Maybe it's different in the tractor because of inactivity?
Same here except my truck can sit for weeks and no battery issues. When there is nothing plugged into the charger the open circuit draw is only a few milliamps.

The USB port in my car is switched and I find that very inconvenient. I like being able to leave my phone plugged in to recharge while I am doing something else.

Dan

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I don’t know how long it would take to drain a battery with it left on, but my guess would be quite a while.
I did install a remote to power some interior LED strip lights(before I had power in my shop so I could see into the shop and in the tractor since the dome light is not switched, but I digress) and one of these WITHOUT the switch.

My battery does drain within a week in warm weather, no idea about cold weather.
I did not think it would drain that fast so I did not worry about wiring it to key on power, I just removed the factory power port and replace it with this.

I will see if I can get an amp draw on it.

I now have power to the shop and a battery maintainer and block heater and lights. MAN what a convenience power is!!!!!
No more worries.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Well today I installed the USB charger and tied into the work light stub wires. It works perfectly: it’s hot when the ignition is on and off when the ignition is off. The lights don’t need to be on to power those wires, so I’m assuming that the Kubota work lights must be installed with a switch.

Reactions: 1 users