Injector pump

Boudra

Equipment
L185
May 12, 2022
Griffin ga
I am a fairly new owner of a 45 year old L180 with 700 hours. I ran it out of gas and now I have a problem. I added fuel, bled the system of air at the injector and got it running for a few minutes. After it quit again, I pulled the filter and it was a mess. Figured I had clogged the inject9r pump so I took it apart and cleaned it (thank you You Tube). It still does not pump with any force or volume (same as before I overhauled it). (I took the fuel lines off the pump to determine this. They pump a few drops of fuel an inch or so into the air).
I would gladly haul the tractor to a mechanic but it is across a a little creek with a flimsy bridge which makes that difficult. I can spend 500 and send the pump out for a rebuild, but I could not find any thing obviously wrong when I took it apart so I hate to spend the money if it is something else. I hope someone has some experience with this and can offer some expertise. Thank you reading this long message. Bob

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If you're attempting to pump into the open air the pump won't put out any pressure to speak of. Try it on the tractor. If you have a shop anywhere close that works on the "big rigs" they can probably work on your pump. One of the local tractor dealers sends all his injectors and pumps requiring work to that shop. They work on everything but Caterpillar stuff. Their info is proprietary.

Boudra

Equipment
L185
May 12, 2022
Griffin ga
If you're attempting to pump into the open air the pump won't put out any pressure to speak of. Try it on the tractor. If you have a shop anywhere close that works on the "big rigs" they can probably work on your pump. One of the local tractor dealers sends all his injectors and pumps requiring work to that shop. They work on everything but Caterpillar stuff. Their info is proprietary.
So you are saying un less I have it connected to the injectors it will not pressurize? I will pull an injector and see if it sprays. I have found places that will work on it but they all say about 500$. Like I said, I could find no defective parts, gave everything a good bath in diesel and no help. Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Just stop while your ahead. There's no need to be breathing in semi atomized fuel for no reason. These engines don't really use a lot of fuel, and a full squirt isn't going to be observed with out full rack travel. Put it back on, make sure you have the timing right bleed the fuel system of air and see how it works. I'd go on to guess you have the plungers and barrels out of tune from each other as well, if you've fully taken the pump apart.

Reactions: 1 user

Boudra

Equipment
L185
May 12, 2022
Griffin ga
Just stop while your ahead. There's no need to be breathing in semi atomized fuel for no reason. These engines don't really use a lot of fuel, and a full squirt isn't going to be observed with out full rack travel. Put it back on, make sure you have the timing right bleed the fuel system of air and see how it works. I'd go on to guess you have the plungers and barrels out of tune from each other as well, if you've fully taken the pump apart.
All my testing has been done with the pump on the tractor. And nothing has changed as far as pump output is concerned since before and after I took it apart. I agree that it would be easy to misalign the plungers, but I can’t understand what caused the initial problem (if not dirt) and why taking it apart and cleaning it made no difference.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I added fuel, bled the system of air at the injector and got it running for a few minutes. After it quit again, I pulled the filter and it was a mess. Figured I had clogged the inject9r pump so I took it apart and cleaned it (thank you You Tube).
So you went from the obvious problem (clogged filter) and without fixing that problem and then testing to see if that solved the problem, you jumped right into a very difficult specialty job?

So you are saying un less I have it connected to the injectors it will not pressurize?

Yep. If it's dribbling out a few drops it's probably fine.

Boudra

Equipment
L185
May 12, 2022
Griffin ga
So you went from the obvious problem (clogged filter) and without fixing that problem and then testing to see if that solved the problem, you jumped right into a very difficult specialty job?

Yep. If it's dribbling out a few drops it's probably fine.

Boudra

Equipment
L185
May 12, 2022
Griffin ga
I figured that anyone reading the post would make the assumption that a new filter was installed. Guess I was wrong.
Can someone explain how a little fuel squirting gently out of the top of the pump can turn turn into pressurized and atomized fuel after it passes thru the injector?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I figured that anyone reading the post would make the assumption that a new filter was installed. Guess I was wrong.
Can someone explain how a little fuel squirting gently out of the top of the pump can turn turn into pressurized and atomized fuel after it passes thru the injector?
45 year old tractor with 700 hours! That is extremely little use - ideal conditions for algae and grunge to form.

Before I did anything with the injector pump, I'd empty the fuel tank, disconnect the fuel lines and clean out everything from the tank to the injector pump. There may be a screen in the tank. I don't think you have a lift pump, but you should have a steady stream of fuel available at the injector pump before you worry with the injector pump. This could save you time and money.

Boudra

Equipment
L185
May 12, 2022
Griffin ga
Yes, I pulled the line from the filter to the pump and fuel flows freely. I have no doubt that there is more crud in the tank but I can buy lots of filters for time and effort to pull and clean the tank. The fuel flows freely now so a dirty tank is not relevant to the present discussion. But thanks for the input

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
+++++++++++++
I am a fairly new owner of a 45 year old L180 with 700 hours. I ran it out of gas and now I have a problem. I added fuel, bled the system of air at the injector and got it running for a few minutes. After it quit again, I pulled the filter and it was a mess. Figured I had clogged the inject9r pump so I took it apart and cleaned it (thank you You Tube). It still does not pump with any force or volume (same as before I overhauled it). (I took the fuel lines off the pump to determine this. They pump a few drops of fuel an inch or so into the air).
I would gladly haul the tractor to a mechanic but it is across a a little creek with a flimsy bridge which makes that difficult. I can spend 500 and send the pump out for a rebuild, but I could not find any thing obviously wrong when I took it apart so I hate to spend the money if it is something else. I hope someone has some experience with this and can offer some expertise. Thank you reading this long message. Bob
Hi Boudra,

OK so here is how you should proceed going forward, (and something for you and others to consider in the future).

First thing when dealing with a fuel issue, (regardless of equipment type or color), start at the tank, does it have fuel, (you ran out), refill, (you did), problem not solved, (your case), the next thing you do is pull the fuel line just before the injector pump/carb, do you have plenty of fuel at that point:

If yes then your problem is in the pump/carb/injectors/injector lines/return lines, (yes return lines can be an issue), Jump to bottom of thread.

If No then the issue is between the tank and the pump/carb, (start working backwards, (you did with the filter)

With each step/repair return to the end of the fuel line "BEFORE" the pump/carb, do you have fuel flow:

If yes, you are good to go.

If No then work your way back toward the tank, look for a hole in the fuel line, if none, then look at the lift pump( if there is one, in your case no), if you get no pressure at that point then, (depending on what kind of pump you have if it's electric then make sure it has power, if it is mechanical then crank the engine) if you still do not have fuel then replace the pump, (again in your case not required), now do you have fuel flow at the pump/carb?

Yes, problem solved.

Now, work back closer to the tank, in your case there is a fuel shutoff valve, is it open, if not open it and check for fuel at the injector/carb.

If no then empty tank and remove shutoff valve, in your case there is a filter screen on top of that valve, (given how dirty your filter was I expect this to be your problem), clean/replace the filter screen and or shut off valve, just be sure that the fuel can pass though the filter screen AND the valve, if this part is plugged then before you put it back on make sure you clean out the tank, make sure it is as clean as you can possibly get it, sometimes you may have to take it to someone and have it "boiled" out, (ANY DIRT IN THE FUEL SYSTEM IS NOT GOOD).

Once the tank is clean, and the shutoff valve installed and fuel line connected check for fuel flow at the pump/carg, it should be there by this point, if not then you have a plugged fuel line somewhere.

All of that checking goes much faster than it sounds, lol.

OK so not we go to yes you already had fuel at the pump/carb.

If you indeed have a carb, (which you don't, no diesel does), then yeah you might try taking it apart and cleaning/rebuilding it.

Since you have a Diesel, the next step is put the fuel line back on the pump, then crack open the injector bleed screw, and crank the engine over, do you have fuel there, (this could take a bit of time if there is air in the system).

If no then you have a pump issue, (this is NOT something Youtube can help you fix), the pump, ( I also suggest taking the injectors also) has to be taken to someone that works on injector pumps as a business/living, they have all the proper tools and equipment require to properly repair a pump and injectors.

Injector pumps/injectors require extremely close tolerances for EVERYTHING, they require shims, o-rings, all kinds of things that the average home/farm mechanic isn't prepared to deal with. the pumps and injectors have to be put on special machines to test for the "proper" pressure, spray pattern,

On edit:
(Thanks to Mark_BX25Dfor pointing out below the extreme pressure these systems require to make them work, the pump has to be able to supply enough "Pressure" to overcome the springs inside the injectors and make them "POP"/open and spray the fuel in the designed pattern, (yes they have a pattern)).

Again this is why we can't just pop open an injector pump or injector and fix it ourselves.

Something else I forgot to address originally, is a pin hole or other "leak" even so small you can't see it even on a return line will cause issues with these systems, if it can get air in "ANYWHERE" in the system it won't work properly and WILL drive you nuts.

I have a Ford F900, (my log truck) sitting right now I have to track down an air leak, it is very hard to start and if I let it idle, it stops running, and I have to crank the battery dead to restart it, also had this issue on an 05 Western Star tractor, the fuel filter had a tiny hairline crack, did show a fuel leak but it sucked air, same thing as my log truck now.
(End edit)

These components are just not something you or I can just take apart and repair, with the exception of "maybe" and outer o-ring or seal that is leaking, and even that depends on how much has to be taken apart to get there, again everything has to be put back together with the utmost precision for everything to work properly.

I know in your case you have already "rebuilt" your pump, and I truly hope it will work out for you, but your whole problem is most likely the shutoff valve with the screen on top of it is plugged, and your tank needs to be cleaned out really bad. just as PoTreeBoy pointed out.

If that thing has sat around for that long and has condensation/contamination built up and other nasty stuff in the tank then it is possible you have rusted parts in the pump, if so all that has to be replaced and calibrated to the proper specs.

So I would follow the process I just laid out, and hopefully you will have good fuel flow before the pump, and if so and it still won't start then please don't waste your time trying to deal with bad worn out, or plugged up injector pump/injectors, (do you have any idea how tiny the holes are at the end of the injectors).

Once the pump is properly rebuilt it still has to be properly installed, this is where the timing takes place on a diesel, (I usually crank the engine over to line up the timing marks "BEFORE" I remove it).

Also is the fill screen still under the cap, if not get one and make sure ALL fuel going in is new, (not been sitting in a can somewhere), clean and goes thru that fill screen.

1 final note, no pump/system requiring, or producing pressure will work properly or show you that pressure unless it has something to build pressure against, and looking for fuel to pump out into thin air will only show you volume.

I know this is lengthy, but hopefully it will help someone else new to these tractors do a proper diagnosis and get their tractor up and running with the least amount of trouble/expense.

If I missed anything someone please point it out.

Cheers
Samantha

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
So the short explanation is the injector is the restriction to flow that creates the pressure. The plungers and barrels are in charge of metering the fuel to the Injectors. Remember these are pretty little engines in the greater scheme of things. Now it is also possible that your plungers and barrels are worn form contamination, however not being able to meter flow out of the pump to get an accurate account of fuel flow from the pump, you just shooting in the dark.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
+++++++++++++

Hi Boudra,

OK so here is how you should proceed going forward, (and something for you and others to consider in the future).

First thing when dealing with a fuel issue, (regardless or equipment color), start at the tank, does it have fuel, (you ran out), refill, (you did), problem not solved, (your case), the next thing you do I pull the fuel line just before the injector pump/carb, do you have plenty of fuel at that point:

If yes then your problem is in the pump/carb/injectors/injector lines/return lines, (yes return lines can be an issue), Jump to bottom of thread.

If No then the issue is between the tank and the pump/carb, (start working backwards, (you did with the filter)

with each step/repair return to the end of the fuel line "BEFORE" the pump/carb, do you have fuel flow:

If yes, you are good to go.

If No then work your way back toward the tank, look for a hole in the fuel line, if none, then look at the lift pump( if there is one, in your case no), if you get no pressure ta that point the replace the pump, (again in your case not required), now do you have fuel flow at the pump/carb?

Yes, problem solved.

No, work back closer to the tank, in your case there is a fuel shutoff valve, is it open, if not open it and check for fuel at the injector/carb.

If no then empty tank and remove shutoff valve, in your case there is a filter screen on top of that valve, (given how dirty your filter was I expect this to be your problem), clean/replace the filter screen and or shut off valve, just be sure that the fuel can pass though the filter screen AND the valve, if this part is plugged the before you put it back on make sure you clean out the tank, make sure it is as clean as you can possibly get it, sometimes you may have to take it to someone and have it "boiled" out, (ANY DIRT IN THE FUEL SYSTEM IS NOT GOOD).

Once the tank is clean, and the shutoff valve installed check for fuel flow at the pump/carg, it should be there by this point, if not then you have a plugged fuel line somewhere.

All of that checking goes much faster than it sounds, lol.

OK so not we go to yes you already had fuel at the pump/carb.

If you indeed have a carb, (which you don't, no diesel does), then yeah you might try taking it apart and cleaning/rebuilding it.

Since you have a Diesel, the next step is put the fuel line back on the pump, then crack open the injector bleed screw, and crank the engine over, do you have fuel there, (this could take a bit of time if there is air in the system).

If no then you have a pump issue, (this is NOT something Youtube can help you fix), the pump, ( I also suggest taking the injectors also) has to be taken to someone that works on injector pumps as a business/living, they have all the proper tools and equipment require to properly repair a pump and injectors.

Injector pumps/injectors require extremely close tolerances for EVERYTHING, they require shims, o-rings, all kinds of things that the average home/farm mechanic isn't prepared to deal with. the pumps and injectors have to be put on special machines to test for the "proper" pressure, spray pattern.

These components are just not something you or I can just take apart and repair, with the exception of "maybe" and outer o-rings or seal that is leaking, and even that depends on how much has to be taken apart to get there, again everything has to be put back together with the utmost precision for everything to work properly.

I know in your case you have already "rebuilt" your pump, and I truly hope it will work out for you, but your whole problem is most likely the shutoff valve with the screen on top of it is plugged, and your tank needs to be cleaned out really bad. just as PoTreeBoy pointed out.

If that thing has sat around for that long and has condensation/contamination built up and other nasty stuff in the tank then it is possible you have rusted parts in the pump, if so all that has to be replaced and calibrated to the proper specs.

So I would follow the process I just laid out, and hopefully you will have good fuel flow before the pump, and if so and it still won't start then please don't waste your time trying to deal with bad worn out, or plugged up injector pump/injectors, (do you have any idea how tiny the holes are at the end of the injectors).

Once the pump is properly rebuilt it still has to be properly installed, this is where the timing takes place on a diesel, (I usually crank the engine over to line up the timing marks "BEFORE" I remove it).

Also is the fill screen still under the cap, if not get one and make sure ALL fuel going in is new, (not been sitting in a can somewhere), clean and goes thru that fill screen.

1 final note, no pump/system requiring, or producing pressure will work properly or show you that pressure unless it has something to build pressure against, and looking for fuel to pump out into thin air will only show you volume.

I know this is lengthy, but hopefully it will help someone else new to these tractors do a proper diagnosis and get their tractor up and running with the least amount of trouble/expense.

If I missed anything someone please point it out.

Cheers
Samantha
Well said, your much more patient to type that out then I am.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Installed is one thing. Tested before going on to the next step is quite a different matter.

Assumptions cause confusion and misunderstanding. I'm on several vehicle/equipment forums, and the people on them run the gamut from very capable people to blithering idiots, knowledgeable to clueless. Those who are trying to help can't afford to assume any common sense or basic knowledge, because we don't know you at all.

Simple. Although it's a small volume, it's being pushed at very high pressure (some engines, 30,000 psi) through a very small hole. Kind of like when you have a garden hose turned on but there's not enough pressure to get to that far corner of the garden, so you put your thumb over it to make it spray farther and your wife walks around the corner and you get her soaked. :D

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Installed is one thing. Tested before going on to the next step is quite a different matter.

Assumptions cause confusion and misunderstanding. I'm on several vehicle/equipment forums, and the people on them run the gamut from very capable people to blithering idiots, knowledgeable to clueless. Those who are trying to help can't afford to assume any common sense or basic knowledge, because we don't know you at all.

Simple. Although it's a small volume, it's being pushed at very high pressure (some engines, 30,000 psi) through a very small hole. Kind of like when you have a garden hose turned on but there's not enough pressure to get to that far corner of the garden, so you put your thumb over it to make it spray farther and your wife walks around the corner and you get her soaked. :D
Agree totally, it's why I took the time to type out my post above, not just for you or directed at you, but trying reply to "your" issue all at the same time, maybe help someone else out "BEFORE" they do the wrong thing.

Well said, your much more patient to type that out then I am.
Hi Diesel,

Some things I have plenty of patience with other not so much.

As long as I have a qualified answer I don't mind explaining it, plenty of people have helped me.

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Assuming you really have a L185? Please confirm

The new filter may be full of air and not supplying the pump with fuel?

Did you use the bleed screw on the injector pump to let all the air in the lines out and then let some fuel run out? Is that bleed screw now properly

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Assuming you really have a L185? Please confirm

The new filter may be full of air and not supplying the pump with fuel?

Did you use the bleed screw on the injector pump to let all the air in the lines out and then let some fuel run out? Is that bleed screw now properly
If it's set up like my old man's l245dt there is a good chance there's a bleeder on the filter housing as well.