In the garden

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
While I figured I would go pull some weeds in the garden, before the air got to think to breath. And every thing I fenced off looks good, anything that has grown through the fence is trimmed off. Now while I was out I counted 6 or 7 different rabbits all different sizes, from Mamas to not long out of the nest babies. Made me really miss my beagle, and wish I was still young enough and fit enough to chase rabbits over the fields. Well the air is to thick to breath, and I am sitting in the AC, it does help, thinking about hunts and friends and good dogs and missing both. It maybe a tad early, but perhaps a toast to both is in order

Reactions: 3 users

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Are the rabbits eating your veggies?
I have electric fences around the gardens. One of the strands is about rabbit/racoon height.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
LOL@ sheepfarmer and Henro,, no it is chicken wire what I had on hand and it is working,, next year I think plastic post and chicken wire and its going electric!! When I had the big garden I had a burner and it would burn off grass and weeds that fell on the wire, then one day I watched a big ground hog push his/her way between the wires and never showed a sign it was being shocked. And yes the unit was working because you could hear it ticking. Kept every thing else out, and this guy never left the garden :)
And I havent eaten rabbit for a long time, but who knows ;)

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Don't have much problems with the rabbits, try to plant enough so I can share with them.

deer on the other hand can destroy it in couple of nights. Got electric fence around the things they like, do tracks inside the fence 2 years running.

Bunnies, have spent many a day walking and listening to our beagles chase rabbits. We had a system, we would run ours in the morning and a friend that hunted with us would run his in the after noon. Worked great and it kept the dogs rested.

Our rule was you had to see the rabbit 3 times before you could shoot them. We loved to eat them but enjoyed hearing a good race more.

My dad long gone now but it was his passion which he taught me.

We had endless places to hunt he worked for the phone company for 40+ years so he knew everyone in the area. we always left the land as good or better than we found it, were always welcomed back. I teach my daughter the same, we pick up trash that is not ours. I explain to her that the landowner may come right after we leave and see the trash, easy to think we did it.

Hot here to my friend, we pulled corn, dug taters, and picked and pulled up the beans Saturday. Picked the tomatoes, cukes and squash as well. Pulled up the squash plants and put them on the burn pile.

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
It is funny you mentioned rabbits and gardens. Last night my wife and I watched a big rabbit sneak into our garden which has electric all around due to the deer that keep eating everything around us. We were surprised to see the rabbit as we have not seen one in years due to the darn coyotes. We figured we have plenty in the garden to share with the one or two rabbits that still exist around here. Each winter I pick off a couple deer and coyotes but they still keep coming in for more. Definitely a big change in our area as years ago we had few deer, lots of rabbits and no coyotes.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
LOL@ sheepfarmer and Henro,, no it is chicken wire what I had on hand and it is working,, next year I think plastic post and chicken wire and its going electric!! When I had the big garden I had a burner and it would burn off grass and weeds that fell on the wire, then one day I watched a big ground hog push his/her way between the wires and never showed a sign it was being shocked. And yes the unit was working because you could hear it ticking. Kept every thing else out, and this guy never left the garden :)
And I havent eaten rabbit for a long time, but who knows ;)
There is a surplus of rabbits in my backyard. An adult and teenager just now hopping merrily around the outside of the veggie patch. I am not enthusiastic. If one of the dogs catches one I am guaranteed to have to go buy tapeworm medicine.

There is a virus spreading, kind of a bunny Ebola, so I guess we should enjoy seeing happy bunnies while we can.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Here, there is a rabbit season but they can be taken any time if they are “in the act of depredation of cultivated plants” whether ornamental or grown for food. They are good to eat and we often catch them “in the act of depredation” but it has been several years since we shot one with anything other than a camera.

Deer, on the other hand, we have at least half a dozen every evening in the front yard. They eat our grass and everything else all year. We get two of them each year. One for Dad and one for us…

Groundhogs at times have been quite destructive and seem enjoy the shelter of the culvert in front of our house. I do know if you’re after a particularly cagey groundhog that repeatedly teases you while you’re working on your camper and decide to use your 4WD truck for cover, laying prone on your concrete driveway under your truck while firing a .308 is both quite effective and indescribably loud. I don’t believe there’s any hearing protection that’s up to that challenge. Just FYI.

Turkeys, coyotes, eagles, an occasional black bear; the variety of wildlife is much greater here than it was 40 years ago even though the human population has grown tremendously.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes Sheepfarmer, for a while back inthe 80s the rabbits around here had a liver fluke, the PaGC said as long as they were cooked right no problems. And the yotes have kept them down around here, this is the first year I have seen so many, though I was told rabbits go in 7 or 9 year cycles, true or not I canna say. The point is I guess was toward, a long gone youth. The loss in any produce is not a big deal, still,,, well you understand :)

Reactions: 1 user